General Fiat 500 rear screen wash query

Currently reading:
General Fiat 500 rear screen wash query

Piecset

Good morning everyone, I’d like a little help please,

My rear screen wash works fine except it takes a few seconds before the water appears at the nozzle.
I also have excessive condensation inside the car, which is leading me to think I may have a small leak in the rear screen washer hose (I have previously checked the obvious things for dampness in the car - Aerial connection, Scuttle drains, clogged pollen filter. The carpets aren’t wet to the touch and wheel well dry but internal condensation is higher than it should be in winter).

Before I start dismantling the trim I would like clarification on a few things:

Would any member please let me know if washer fluid appear at the rear screen immediately the stalk is operated?

If that is the case there must be a non-return valve in the feed, could someone let me know where it is located?

I know that the rear water hose runs along the bottom left side of the car. Could someone also let me know what sections of trim need to be removed and how to remove them (I know how to remove the scuttle trim but there is no indication of any screen wash leakage in that area)?

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to all.

REAR WASH water takes 2/3 seconds to arrive( got to travel the length of the car and takes this long to build pressure!) works by running the washer pump in reverse so you tend to get a small amount on the front screen first then the main flow to the back perfectly normal!. (y)
Dont think there is anything wrong but IF you needed to get to the pipe the trims are as follows
passenger side sill trim
rear quarter panel trim
rear hatch "C" pillar trim
pull headliner down at rear!.
these cars are well known for condensation build up! and the ventilation system is barely up to the job at best so keep a/c on throughout winter!and try to keep a small air gap in the windows when moving to keep air flowing around the car!( dont forget to shut them when you park!):unsure:
All the things you highlight are pretty much normal for these cars so i dont think you need worry!:) just adapt and learn to live with the quirks!
all the best!.

Thanks folks,
It seems that I may not have a problem after all.
I don't normally have the aircon on unless the screen is steaming up whilst driving. Will try leaving it on all the time in winter and will crack the windows as the opportunity arises. I'll see how this goes.
Thanks again.

I also keep one of those "bathroom de-humidifier" cubes in the car at all times along with a couple of good quality water absorbing cloths to soak up the damp !Its not unheard off for the INSIDE!! :unsure: of the screen to get covered in water as well so dont worry if that happens to you🙁! your not alone!!(y)

Thanks folks,
I don't normally have the aircon on unless the screen is steaming up whilst driving. Will try leaving it on all the time in winter and will crack the windows as the opportunity arises. I'll see how this goes.
Thanks again.
Always leave the ac on, especially in winter, as it dehumidifies the incoming air, it also keeps the whole system in better working order and less likely to have problems, eg. it heats the condensor at the front drying it off so corrodes less?
Don't open the windows as this allows moist air back in generally?

Last edited:
Thanks folks,
Thanks again.

All sound advice, 👍

have you cleared leafmould from the "Duckbills"? That is another common condensation issue 😉

Back