Technical Rear window removal / fitting

Currently reading:
Technical Rear window removal / fitting

Some prick smashed into my cinq last night and my boot is buggered. Getting a new one from chubbston on sunday, but how do you get the old window out and put the new one in. In the the haynes it says that it has to be done by a professional, but then again it also says that you cant replace the exterior mirror glass. Can you do it yourself and how long will it take. If i have to get someone to do it how much will it cost and how long? Will appreciate any comments, especially if youve done it urself.

Only speaking from breaking in to a forgetful friends metro a screwdriver is all you need.. pop the seal (may take a few attempts) and work your way round pulling it out carefully and slowly, it should pop back in - but On Fiats i dunno - it MAY be the same...

Well, I'm a bit of a bodger i'd use clear silcone that comes in the pressy tubes (like you would for sealing a corner of a bath to the wall) it will Def. hold and seal but thats a bodge... Pop along to 'HalFrauds' use their help and pop along to sum places to get a better price.. thats what most people do lol...

Is this true, i found it in a previous post:

"Absolute piece of p*ss , & should take no more than 60 seconds!
This job is a lot easier to do on a hot day, mainly because the heat softens the rubber & its much preferable to doing it in the p*ssing rain! Open the boot so that the tailgate is fully up, get a strong spatula of some sort (plastic is preferable & dont use a screwdriver, one slip & you can kiss goodbye to the glass). Carefully hook under the rubber in one of the corners whilst applying a firm but not forcefull pressure on the glass with your hand (remember your gloves and glasses just in case, Ive had glass splinters in the eye and my hands & they are bl**dy painfull). Whilst gently pushing the glass (use a cupped hand, rather than flat) follow the rubber and hook it over the lip of the bodywork.
When I worked at Autoglass we used to remove & refit the rears in around a minute and a half on a Cinq!
Just remember to take your time & work safefully, no car is worth damaging a limb or your sight for! Hope this helps. :D"

Well, its a more detailed version of what i sed first - LOL i used a screwdriver thou.. it should just pop back in with sum careful pushing..

Spoke to the guy at my bodyshop and he said its really easy to get out; just use a wide screwdriver and to put it back in just wrap a piece of string around the edge, put into place and pull the sring through, which then puts the seal in the right place. Hope this'll work otherwise i'm ****ed as im doin it monday night and have to park it on the drive and go out tuesday morn. lol
Wish me luck. lol

Back