Technical Rear Wheel Camber

Currently reading:
Technical Rear Wheel Camber

Nedsly

Just got a classic 500 and to my eye the rear wheels have too much camber. Also the care feels "squirrely" driving. Rear wheel toe increases with camber and would explain the car not tracking well. I am thinking I need shorter springs but how short? Has anyone delt with this? Thanks, Nedsly

Just got a classic 500 and to my eye the rear wheels have too much camber. Also the care feels "squirrely" driving. Rear wheel toe increases with camber and would explain the car not tracking well. I am thinking I need shorter springs but how short? Has anyone delt with this? Thanks, Nedsly
Just a thought and it is many years since I owned a classic 500, how does it sit and drive with two or three adults in the car? Many cars with older style independent rear suspension tend to "tuck in" (positive camber) when unladen. I remember when as a engineering college student I was looking at the back of a Hillman Imp and made the comment "bow legged" about the car, the lecturer turned to me and said "well you are no oil painting!" it turned out everyone else was looking at the girls coming from the hairdressing course.;)
Also are the tyres in good order?

Just a thought and it is many years since I owned a classic 500, how does it sit and drive with two or three adults in the car? Many cars with older style independent rear suspension tend to "tuck in" (positive camber) when unladen. I remember when as a engineering college student I was looking at the back of a Hillman Imp and made the comment "bow legged" about the car, the lecturer turned to me and said "well you are no oil painting!" it turned out everyone else was looking at the girls coming from the hairdressing course.;)
Also are the tyres in good order?
The 500 DOES have quite a lot of 'positive' camber at the rear when stationary or being driven 'light', and yes, it does strange in this age of 'negative'camber being the norm. If the car feels 'squirrely' check the tyre pressures---17psi front---26psi rear (light) to 29psi (fully laden).Rear wheel toe-in is 10min +15min/-10min (so between '0' and 25min TOE-IN)

The 500 DOES have quite a lot of 'positive' camber at the rear when stationary or being driven 'light', and yes, it does strange in this age of 'negative'camber being the norm. If the car feels 'squirrely' check the tyre pressures---17psi front---26psi rear (light) to 29psi (fully laden).Rear wheel toe-in is 10min +15min/-10min (so between '0' and 25min TOE-IN)
Thank you for your help. Problem checking toe is that the manual says to have the wheels 90' to the ground because the toe changes with suspension hight. I would have to fill the car with people to get it low enough. Even if that is correct when the people get out the excessive toe will return. I was hoping there were some different springs, maybe progressive ones and on average stiffer. Thanks, Ned

Thank you for your help. Problem checking toe is that the manual says to have the wheels 90' to the ground because the toe changes with suspension hight. I would have to fill the car with people to get it low enough. Even if that is correct when the people get out the excessive toe will return. I was hoping there were some different springs, maybe progressive ones and on average stiffer. Thanks, Ned
I CANNOT recommend that you fit stiffer springs on the back of a 500----if you do, the ride, when driven 'light' will become VERY 'skittish' (or as you put it---'squirrely'). If you can get the car laden (sand-bags?) enough to be able to check the toe-in at the rear, if it is correct when laden, it will only return to the 'within tolerances norm' when unladen. If you have no funny/uneven tyre wear at the rear, there is a fair chance that it IS within tolerances. To cure the 'squirrely' feeling, try slightly wider wheels (the standard wheels are only 3-1/2 ins wide) and have the tyre pressures correct.

Back