Technical Rear Tail Light won't come on even after bulb replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Rear Tail Light won't come on even after bulb replacement

trekkingfiat500x

Hi all, new here. I have searched the internet and cannot find an answer. I have a 2016 Trekking AWD and I got an alert that the brake lights, turn signal and reverse light was out. It was on the left hand side.
I replaced the bulbs, (and the DRL's since they were out as well) and they still wont turn on. The right rear lights are fine, as is the 3rd brake light.

I replaced the bulbs, checked the connections. My next thought is that a fuse or relay is out. I cannot figure out what fuse I should look at or what/where the relay is.

Any help would be wonderful.

Hi all, new here. I have searched the internet and cannot find an answer. I have a 2016 Trekking AWD and I got an alert that the brake lights, turn signal and reverse light was out. It was on the left hand side.
I replaced the bulbs, (and the DRL's since they were out as well) and they still wont turn on. The right rear lights are fine, as is the 3rd brake light.

I replaced the bulbs, checked the connections. My next thought is that a fuse or relay is out. I cannot figure out what fuse I should look at or what/where the relay is.

Any help would be wonderful.
FIAT 500X tail lamp failure SOLVED

1. After removing the tail lamp fixture (use a 30 torx bit) there's a connector on the back of the lamp fixture with some wires that come from the car body. After pulling off the connector, check the outer area on the connector where the BLACK wire is inserted. If the plastic on the outside of the connector where the black wire is inserted looks melted, you'll have to replace the connector (see below link). You may also have to replace the light bulb panel too (the plastic piece where the connector attaches). There are pins on the rear of the panel the connector is pushed onto AND the pin for the black wire of the connector might be destroyed. BUT WHY??? Keep reading.

2. NOW, inside the tail lamp fixture (the actual tail light, NOT the bulb panel) you can find two wires with metal connectors that are stuffed into two plastic slots. This is where the problem lies. Although the metal connectors APPEAR to be in separate slots, they actually make contact when you push the light bulb panel back on to the lamp fixture. When the connectors make contact, this causes an electrical short which fries the plastic connector with the black wire. Electrical shorts cause overheating which can melt plastic, even metal. I had to buy a new light panel because the panel's pin for connector's black wire was destroyed. I was also on my second connector.

3. How did I solve this? I took a very small piece of one of those kitchen wooden matches and jammed it into one of the slots where the connectors are, BUT, made sure the match piece was in a slot BETWEEN the connectors. With the match piece between the connectors, the connectors no longer contact and the tail lamp operates flawlessly.

Nothing will happen to that match piece. The humidity of outside air will allow it to keep its integrity so it won't degrade and fall out. The fact that it fits tightly inside that connector slot will assure that it won't come loose. This seems like a stupid solution, but it works. The match piece doesn't conduct electricity and won't catch fire either.

Those metal connectors should never be able to touch. The connector slots are a shitty design by FIAT and the part should have been recalled.

Here's the link for the connector (VERY tedious to do...requires mountains of patience, needle nosed pliers, wire cutters, outside if you don't have a garage)

Here's the light bulb panel link

1. After removing the tail lamp fixture (use a 30 torx bit) there's a connector on the back of the lamp fixture with some wires that come from the car body. After pulling off the connector, check the outer area on the connector where the BLACK wire is inserted. If the plastic on the outside of the connector where the black wire is inserted looks melted, you'll have to replace the connector (see below link). You may also have to replace the light bulb panel too (the plastic piece where the connector attaches). There are pins on the rear of the panel the connector is pushed onto AND the pin for the black wire of the connector might be destroyed. BUT WHY??? Keep reading.

2. NOW, inside the tail lamp fixture (the actual tail light, NOT the bulb panel) you can find two wires with metal connectors that are stuffed into two plastic slots. This is where the problem lies. Although the metal connectors APPEAR to be in separate slots, they actually make contact when you push the light bulb panel back on to the lamp fixture. When the connectors make contact, this causes an electrical short which fries the plastic connector with the black wire. Electrical shorts cause overheating which can melt plastic, even metal. I had to buy a new light panel because the panel's pin for connector's black wire was destroyed. I was also on my second connector.

3. How did I solve this? I took a very small piece of one of those kitchen wooden matches and jammed it into one of the slots where the connectors are, BUT, made sure the match piece was in a slot BETWEEN the connectors. With the match piece between the connectors, the connectors no longer contact and the tail lamp operates flawlessly.

Nothing will happen to that match piece. The humidity of outside air will allow it to keep its integrity so it won't degrade and fall out. The fact that it fits tightly inside that connector slot will assure that it won't come loose. This seems like a stupid solution, but it works. The match piece doesn't conduct electricity and won't catch fire either.

Those metal connectors should never be able to touch. The connector slots are a shitty design by FIAT and the part should have been recalled.

Here's the link for the connector (VERY tedious to do...requires mountains of patience, needle nosed pliers, wire cutters, outside if you don't have a garage)

That is exactly what it was!! Thank you so much

I just discovered that I'm having the same issue. Any chance you might have pics of the connector with the match that you reference?
Also, newbie here, so pardon the question: Were you not able to find the connector through mopar? Is the connector a fairly general part, consistent across makes?
Thanks!

I just discovered that I'm having the same issue. Any chance you might have pics of the connector with the match that you reference?
Also, newbie here, so pardon the question: Were you not able to find the connector through mopar? Is the connector a fairly general part, consistent across makes?
Thanks!
Hello!

Here is the connector that I bought: Auto-Click UK

Even with the order of 5 and shipping to the US, it was a fair bit cheaper than mopar.

Is the connector a fairly general part, consistent across makes?

Yes, it is a general connector. You do have to wire this in yourself, but it is a pretty straightforward thing to do. The hard part is just making sure you have the wires pushed into the connector all the way. Be patient and take your time with it.

Make sure you leave enough wire sticking out of the existing connector to see which wire goes where in the new connector. Also, make sure the rear tail light assembly doesnt need to be replaced. The spot where the ground wire in the plug connects to the grounding in the tail light assembly was melted. I found a used one on Ebay for less than half the price of a brand new one.

The only tools I needed were a socket to remove the tail light assembly, screwdriver, wire cutter, and something to strip the wires.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks, @trekkingfiat500x. I had already purchased the lamp socket, as I thought that was the main issue, but when I was attempting to replace it this past weekend, I noticed the melted plastic and broken pin. Did you do anything to address the initial cause of the issue?

Thanks, @trekkingfiat500x. I had already purchased the lamp socket, as I thought that was the main issue, but when I was attempting to replace it this past weekend, I noticed the melted plastic and broken pin. Did you do anything to address the initial cause of the issue?
Not that I could find. It seems to be a general issue across the Fiat 500 lineup regardless if it was their crossover or small car.

Was able to finish the repair today and the lights are working great! Had a bit of trouble getting the ground wire situated since it was a bit bigger than the other wires, but all’s well that ends well. Thanks for your help!

Was able to finish the repair today and the lights are working great! Had a bit of trouble getting the ground wire situated since it was a bit bigger than the other wires, but all’s well that ends well. Thanks for your help!
Glad you got it sorted! I had issues with the ground wire as well

Hi everyone, I have been searching the internet a lot over the past couple of days as I have had this issue on my Fiat 500x 2016. The rear drivers side light has gone and both the black 6 hole connector and the bulb lamp socket have pin 6 burnt out. So far i've ordered the replacement connector (Amazon product ASIN B0BVQPTZ3F) and im looking for a new lamp socket (part 77367351)

Has anyone got any tips on how to connect the new connector to the stripped wires once i receive it?
Also, does anyone have any photos of the two wires and metal connectors that have been suggested are causing the issue?

Many thanks everyone, hopefully I can sort this

Hi everyone, I have been searching the internet a lot over the past couple of days as I have had this issue on my Fiat 500x 2016. The rear drivers side light has gone and both the black 6 hole connector and the bulb lamp socket have pin 6 burnt out. So far i've ordered the replacement connector (Amazon product ASIN B0BVQPTZ3F) and im looking for a new lamp socket (part 77367351)

Has anyone got any tips on how to connect the new connector to the stripped wires once i receive it?
Also, does anyone have any photos of the two wires and metal connectors that have been suggested are causing the issue?

Auto click sell the tools too IIRC

Like @varesecrazy said, AutoClick sells them and thats what I used: The Connector in Question

A bit finnicky to install properly, but not bad at all if you have some patience

2. NOW, inside the tail lamp fixture (the actual tail light, NOT the bulb panel) you can find two wires with metal connectors that are stuffed into two plastic slots.
I dont suppose you could explain this any more could you. I've spent about £80 on this so far and am keen to make sure I dont wire it all up and the same pin ends up melting. I'd like to stop it happening again if at all possible, any help would be gratefully received!

I dont suppose you could explain this any more could you. I've spent about £80 on this so far and am keen to make sure I dont wire it all up and the same pin ends up melting. I'd like to stop it happening again if at all possible, any help would be gratefully received!
I wish I had more info on that part. I rewired it exactly how it was from the factory. Hopefully it doesnt happen again

I wish I had more info on that part. I rewired it exactly how it was from the factory. Hopefully it doesnt happen again
Does this help :)

1702454776703.png

NOTE BELOW IS FOR LEFT HAND DRIVE CARS AND NOT UK RHD!
1702455440126.png

1702455534929.png

With my 500X if I am in a traffic jam or waiting at lights I do not hold the car on the foot brake, I use the 'hand brake'. This prevents the rear light units from getting too hot. The normal lower wattage tail bulbs do not seem to be the problem but the extra heat from the higher wattage stop bulbs could be. It may bee an idea to see if you can convert to LED bulbs as there is almost no heat generated with them. Be aware tho' to convert may not be legal.

With my 500X if I am in a traffic jam or waiting at lights I do not hold the car on the foot brake, I use the 'hand brake'. This prevents the rear light units from getting too hot. The normal lower wattage tail bulbs do not seem to be the problem but the extra heat from the higher wattage stop bulbs could be. It may bee an idea to see if you can convert to LED bulbs as there is almost no heat generated with them. Be aware tho' to convert may not be legal.
Very good point.

In the 500X the normal side lights and brake lights ARE ONE AND THE SAME.

They consist of TWO 21W bulbs wired in parallel. With just side lights the are modulated/controlled to deliver around half or less brightness. Lets say 6V average so 21W int total. When the brake is applied the full 12V, 42W is applied. 42W at 12V is say 4Amps. Not a lot as such but with small contacts and conducted heat then issues can occur. Most of that 42W is HEAT and it has to go somewhere and is almost certainly conducted throungh the bulb base, along the internal metal wires/strips to the actual connector.

So the next question is are these rear light/connector failures mainly on automatic cars where the vehicle is left in drive and held on the foot brake?

Back