General Rear seat pops in when sat on?

Currently reading:
General Rear seat pops in when sat on?

I have a 60 plate fiat punto evo and recently, my left rear seat has had a few problems. The back rest will "pop" in when leant on, and again pops out when the person has lifted their weight.. any reason as to why it has weakened and how to fix it?

Thank you

Just had a look, if you are referring to the metal catch that is bolted into the side of the car then that is tight. The problem is the seat itself, it doesnt move but the centre of the seat "pops" and flexes in.. almost like pushing a sheet of plastic in the middle and it makes that popping sound.

So you can visualise, press your hand against the centre of your seat, mine used to be firm but now it flexes in and out when i stop putting weight on it.... seems the seat back as weakened?

Any help with this guys? Its really bothering me and im not sure who else to go to. It never has happened before... I did have the seats flat down and had some cargo in the back but it wasnt extremely heavy at all, maybe that has something to do with it?

to make it easier to visualise heres a photo, the circled area is where the back rest flexes in and out

3c76be75ace276ef771053c68bd08b08.png

Breakers yards are companies who buy written off cars and strip them for parts. There will undoubtedly be a set of identical back seats out of a written off Evo kicking about. Phone round locally or there are some great websites where you can specify exactly the part you want.

I think that if anyone had any idea how to solve your problem, they'd have posted about it after one of the four times you've asked.

If you asked me to guess, I'd say that you've bent the metal on the back of the seats. It probably won't have lost strength, but will have stretched just a little bit meaning you are getting this "popping" between two different states.

There are probably a lot of ways to fix that, but they are also probably a lot harder than either getting some replacement seats or ignoring it.

Breakers yards are companies who buy written off cars and strip them for parts. There will undoubtedly be a set of identical back seats out of a written off Evo kicking about. Phone round locally or there are some great websites where you can specify exactly the part you want.

I think that if anyone had any idea how to solve your problem, they'd have posted about it after one of the four times you've asked.

If you asked me to guess, I'd say that you've bent the metal on the back of the seats. It probably won't have lost strength, but will have stretched just a little bit meaning you are getting this "popping" between two different states.

There are probably a lot of ways to fix that, but they are also probably a lot harder than either getting some replacement seats or ignoring it.

hm i see

and i only bumped the question two more times, not four.

Is it a split seat (folds down individually on each side), when you say 'pop' is the metal at the back actually flexing?

The split seat has mounting points at each end and one shared point in the middle, I would examine all of these and see if the seat is located properly in them.

You shouldn't need to be buying new seats even if you can't find the reason id be inclined to live with it.

Could probably help more if you're able to video the problem post it up to the tube and share it here

Is it a split seat (folds down individually on each side), when you say 'pop' is the metal at the back actually flexing?

The split seat has mounting points at each end and one shared point in the middle, I would examine all of these and see if the seat is located properly in them.

You shouldn't need to be buying new seats even if you can't find the reason id be inclined to live with it.

Could probably help more if you're able to video the problem post it up to the tube and share it here

Yeh ofc Im not buying new seats... im the driver.. doesnt effect me :slayer:

Ill have a look at it better soon and should be able to post a vid

Back