General rear number plate....how's yours fitted?

Currently reading:
General rear number plate....how's yours fitted?

Well, I haven't phoned yet :eek: but may try and do so next week, be interesting to see if they comment about the other phonecalls.

Basically, I am looking for official written assurance as well - after all, I can see any fix they try and do causing even more issues....

I haven't done the research into this one as my plates were thankfully stuck on by my supplying dealer, but has anybody checked out how our friends on the continent have theirs fitted?

Think I've seen the long French rear plate secured by four screws and the Italians using a secondary backing plate mounting.

Might be worth seeing if the four screw holes have been positioned to satisfy the mainland Europe market.

Any of our Dutch owners got some thoughts?

or has it been put on with just 2 screws? through the horizontal centreline of the plate? ignoring those lovely factory prepped holes? with the screws going directly into and through the paintwork and metal underneath? thereby creating a potential breach in the cars anti-corrosion coating?

Mine's like that!! :mad:
What the hell were they thinking.. :yuck:

two holes front in plastic bumper
two behind in metal-i will use silicone i think to prevent corrosion (n)

I haven't done the research into this one as my plates were thankfully stuck on by my supplying dealer, but has anybody checked out how our friends on the continent have theirs fitted?

The local Fiat dealer here in France seems to use four pop rivets in the screw holes if the car's new, but if it's secondhand and changed dpeartments and so number plates, they just hold the plate up in roughly the right place, drill straight through it and the bodywork and whack it on with pop rivets.

Mind you this seems fairly common for all dealers, when I got my Mini, they did this, the two holes didn't line up even, one was higher by a long way than the other. They sure did it better the second time though, after they'd bought me a new boot lid and had it resprayed.

I've even been told that in France the plates HAVE to be pop rivetted on to rpevent them being easily tampered with.

Come Panda buying time, I'll be telling them I'll be fitting the plates myself.

Yep plates in france cannot be screwed on.... although I havent on the Audi or the front of my pickup.. rears are pop riveted, but thats coz they lined up well..

Ours although from a renault dealer, they were a fiat dealer when they registered the car, and fitted the back number plate with 5 sticky pads. Front is with 2 screws nicely capped into the plastic bit on the bumper. The sticky pads are really good as well, as we just bought some new number plates and the old ones were a pain to remove!

Back