Technical Rear Light Cluster Issue

Currently reading:
Technical Rear Light Cluster Issue

As I thought the Black wire and soldered inside wire to metal bus rail is the negative full ground return for the whole of the rear light cluster.

So with side lights, brake lights, indicators and fog lamp all running at the same time the current going through the rear *single* pin connector is going to be challenging. For some cars it might not be an issue but for others it could. Basic problem in my view is that the designer underrated the maximum power load AND how long that load could be in operation for. Add age, contact oxidation, etc. then pin to socket impediance will increase resulting in power loss and heating in the connector.

Such goodwill gestures are often reliant on having the car serviced at a dealer.
Car sales are low profit, and generally cars are very reliable, meaning the dealer has little work to do. Insisting on dealer servicing to maintain warranty, and any later out-of-warranty payments, helps the dealers with more work and greater profitability. Without profitable dealers, there are no new car sales.
One way to help prevent the problem of connectors melting in the rear lamps is not to hold the car on the foot brake for longer than needed. If you think you are going to be halted for more than a few seconds apply the parking brake and release the foot brake. This will prevent heat build up in the rear lamps. My car a 2016 500X auto using this method has not had a problem after 63,000 miles.

One way to help prevent the problem of connectors melting in the rear lamps is not to hold the car on the foot brake for longer than needed. If you think you are going to be halted for more than a few seconds apply the parking brake and release the foot brake. This will prevent heat build up in the rear lamps. My car a 2016 500X auto using this method has not had a problem after 63,000 miles.
Interesting, will let the wife know. But good tip.

Back