General Rear door jammed ?

Currently reading:
General Rear door jammed ?

mav777

Hi all,

Basically bought a second hand Tipo around 6 months ago for my wifes school run car. Were really happy with it but have run into an issue, hope you guys can help.

The rear drivers side door wasnt opening properly and the key fob was playing up. managed to get it open from the outside so thought it had the child lock on, so i turned the child lock the other way and also turned a black slot above the child lock too a couple of turns with car key, dont ask me why i did it, i did it in haste without my glasses as my missus was compalining coming back from shopping.....

Looking back i was stupid but there you go, anyway the door latch did look to have a bit of white limescale on it, after I shut the door which felt a bit stiff on shutting, the door now wont open neither from the inside or outside. Ive changed the battery in key fob and tried opening and closing with central locking 30 or so times with no joy...

Any ideas please guys to get the door open? im unsure if the panel can be removed when the door is shut or even if the external handle can be removed.

In all honesty Ive no experience with cars, ive had a look at a few youtube vids that show removing handle and pulling on a cord but that was another car.

Thanks
Mav

The first thing to work out is the lock working and is something physical is jamming the door ?,not sure what you turned as well as the child lock but if that's proud it could be the cause.I'd check the lock "feel" against the other doors and if it feels similar get someone to pull on the exterior handle whilst you push with your feet (shoes removed to save marks !) against the door from inside,hopefully it'll open and you'll see what was causing the jam.Not sure what to suggest if it is the lock that's failed,but i'd prefer to destroy a door panel than cause damage to the exterior paint if it is a failed lock,HTH.

Hi Remould thanks for reply. Im in work tomorrow but will open the other rear door and see if i can get a pic if what i turned, i do remember it being black and the key fitted in it. I have tried ramming the panel from inside whilst also trying the door handle inside but it didnt work ?.

When i closed the door at first it wouldnt shut, then i pushed harder and ut clunked shut, im really annoyed as it was one of those situations, kids playing up misses in mood and car full of shopping.....

The door handles feel a little losser than tge others and when i push on the door it has a little play in the corner window edges.

Really hoping a silly mistake wont cost a bundle to fix....

Thanks again ?? Mav

You got me wondering Mav!,I looked at my car then the manual,the other key slot is a manual lock in case you lose battery power,so all you may have done is locked the door,as you have battery power try unlocking the car with the fob or dashboard button,also try the door from the outside just to rule out the child locks.
A couple of other things,the limescale might be dried white grease, it's regularly applied at services,also mine has slight play at the window edges, it's another reason to apply a conditioner to the seals to reduce squeaks !.
Good luck, Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for reply, sorry for late reply back been working.

Ive taken a picture of what I turned, I basically didnt know which was the child lock and turned them both just to work it out in fairness i never knew that would happen but looking back kicking myself.

Ive tried keyfob, indoor lock button and turning the key in the drivers side, nothing worked and even going in the back and trying to kock the door open without shoes, at this point im a bit desperate i dont fancy shelling out hundreds for something so stupid as this....

Pic attached

Attachments

• IMG_20210217_090809.jpg
    IMG_20210217_090809.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 37
No worries Mav,yep that the manual lock,if you've turned it that should unlock once you operate the central locking,the only other two suggestions are,disconnect the battery to see if it 'resets' the locking ecu in case it's gone out of sync or if you brought the car from a dealer take it back and play innocent ?

Try getting somebody to push on the door as you try to unlock it or bang on the door card hopefully the lock actuator is a bit sticky and can't quite undo the lock mechanism

Also could be worth looking at the body computer with multiecuscan if you or someone near by has it

Thanks guys, i have tried pushing the door whilst unlocking with no joy, the battery disconnect I havent tried though, the only thing i did notice is when I turned the black manual lock it made a clunky sound and turned two turns, when i did it in the other door it was smooth and only turned one notch if that makes sense. I have taken it to a garage and the guys there reckon the latch has gone and could cost upwards of £200 ??....

Theyve also just serviced it and reckon the pipe on the airbox has decayed?? I read somewhere that when serviced these can get damaged? any advice please?

Unless it's under some sort of warranty your options are limited i'm afraid,perhaps try another garage to see if the cost comes down ?,regarding the airbox pipe,is it the small one on the rear left (1.4T) ?,if so mine's had cracks since i've had the car and they've not got worse.

Back