Technical Rear disk brakes conversion checklist

Currently reading:
Technical Rear disk brakes conversion checklist

ummm mate for the hasel your having I would be tempted to clean it up. smooth off the sharp edges of the scratches and take off any high spots with one of them knife sharpner stones.

on the real deep pits fill it with liquid metal and smooth down. they do this on motorcycle forks and even hydraulic cylinders.
Its worth a try and will only be 10mins work

ummm mate for the hasel your having I would be tempted to clean it up. smooth off the sharp edges of the scratches and take off any high spots with one of them knife sharpner stones.

on the real deep pits fill it with liquid metal and smooth down. they do this on motorcycle forks and even hydraulic cylinders.
Its worth a try and will only be 10mins work

dodgy fix on one of the most critical parts of the car...not too wise

well, a lot of people have advised me against touching it with anything rougher than an oil-soaked rag. I had the idea of smoothing or polishing it with 2000 grit sandpaper, but everyone was against it. Also, i heard that the piston might have gone through a thermo-mechanical process called as "cementing", which would give it a tougher surface (increasing the amount of carbon in the top layer of steel), so i would probably ruin that.

Not really sure if it's a good idea.

Edited to add: i'd rather stick to drums than driving with a bodged disk.

Last edited:
hummm If it was me I would try it. Its only a rear caliper so dont really do all that much. (worse having it lock then not lock which is what will happen if it leaks)

ALSO the marks seem to go around the piston. fluid wont pass these as the seals are wide.

And like I said ive heard of these fixes been used on hydraulics with way more pressure then a car caliper.

I would just smooth off any sharp edges or high spots (dont look like there is any in the pic) then fit it all together . bleed the system and stap the brakes and look for any leaks (bet there wont be any)

I appreciate all input i get in this thread, but i'm afraid i can't allow myself to do such bodging on a brake system. If it's not perfectly flat, i won't use it.

Also, i just found out that the brake pistons for the rear brakes on a marea 2.0 and marea 2.4 TD are 34mm and they sorta look the same in an online catalogue. Can anyone confirm thati could use these or provide me with some pics? I posted a similar question in the marea technical forum and i'm waiting for some replies. This could save my day, because if marea ones are the same as UT ones, then it's going to be much easier to source them. Mareas are all over the place here :)

they look slightly different (cast alloy, see emmas 1.4 16v Sei) but fit just the same from the marea. though im not 100% on which models they're from.

Last edited:
It look identical to my pistons, and if it is 34mm, it's the same size as well.

That means there are LOADS of cars you can use. I did a thread, that i think fingers99 put in the sticky, that lists a big selection of compatible ones. Don't take it as w=gospel, but its probably all correct :)

Kristian

All the info i got was from some brake dealers, and it seems like brakeparts.co.uk has the wrong info on UT (lists it as 30.2mm, while the one i took from a UT caliper and measured it is 34mm). Using an another catalogue, i found out that Marea 2.0 and 2.4TD have 34mm calipers, and in the pics they look similar. I'm off to the scrappy to look for this particular piston tomorrow. Chances are i won't be able to get it without buying the whole caliper, but that's fine by me, because it's still cheaper and faster than ordering from outside of serbia. I hope i'll have some pics tomorrow.

Edit: it's a shame i can't edit my first post in this thread to keep it up to date with my progress.

Last edited:
Here is some progress, cleaned the calipers from rust, dust and oil and they're ready for painting. I want them to look as stock as possible, so i'm going for a silver high temperature spray paint.

Attachments

• IMG_0005a.jpg
    IMG_0005a.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 31
Again, making small progress. The mounting plate i have is completerly wrong (too bad i don't have a picture, but it looks like the first pic in the attachment, taken from another brake conversion thread) and it seems that the scrappy sold me a wrong item (although i didn't really know what the mounting plate should look like, i asked for a uno turbo rear mounting plate)

So now i want to make my own mounting plate. Should it look exactly like the one in the second attached picture (taken from a different thread)? I want to use 228mm disks on the rear, so i guess that's what i need made, and not the modified one.
I would really appreciate some help on this matter. I have to draw something in CAD software and i'll make it public when i do.

Second, what thickness should the caliper mount be? this (wrong) one i have is 7mm, should the custom one be 7mm too? There was some talk about this and i wasn't able to get 100% info from the threads i've read.

Third (and final :)), if using the seicento hubs, i'll need some spacers made (between the hub and the disk), so what thickness should those be? i've read 4mm, 6mm, 8mm on different places. I'll be using 228mm disks if that matters.

Attachments

• CALIPER.jpg
    CALIPER.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 22
  • plakaki228.jpg
    plakaki228.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 15
I wonder if the calipers you have are from an uno turbo.
If you didn't take them off yourself then the scrap yard could have sold you any rear caliper from a fiat. If the piston is a different size then that would explain it. Can you get a picture of the whole caliper?

If the mounting plate you got looks like the picture above, the plate on the left is from a Tempra. I know as I took the photo (y)
I laid it on top of a drawing of the conversion plate you need (the pic on the right).

So, if its not from an Uno turbo then you will need the conversion plate anyway and the 240mm discs

The picture of the whole caliper is attached just 2 posts before your post.
I read through some catalogues and those calipers should be the right ones.

I'll have to make the conversion plate anyway, but i'd like to stick to 228mm disks if possible. Do you have a CAD file for the mounting plate?

Okay, as promised, i made a CAD drawing of the mounting plate and i'm having it made tomorrow. Hopefully i got the right thickness (7mm) or else i'll need to grind that down :D

Sorry about the serbian language, the label "Specifikacija otvora" means "drill specifications", and "Poluprecnik" means radius.

I can't guarantee it's right until i've installed it, so i'll let you know how this goes later :)

Attachments

• sei_anker_platna.jpg
    sei_anker_platna.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 52

Attachments

• caliper_mount.jpg
    caliper_mount.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Back