General Rear brakes

Currently reading:
General Rear brakes

sammy657

I can hear a noise coming from the back of the car when i use my brakes. Its like a grinding noise and only happens a few times then it dont happen again. Happens mainly after i brake hard then tends to go. Was wondering what it could be and if it is expensive to fix. Thanks

if you do pop the drums oppen it might be a good ideea to check the brake shoe's and replace them is necesarly, they aren't that expensive and you cand do it yourself. Afterall the brakes are the only thing you can't be cheap about, you don't want to find yourself an the highway with no brakes at 60-70 mph;)

Try not to worry, I had the same problem when I hadn't passed my test, the car was stagnent on the drive. After driving it a bit the sound goes away, it never happens anymore after a quick trip to the jetwash and a few blasts on all 4 quarters :)

If you're that worried, as failing brakes aren't exactly the easiest thing to fix, especially when driving down the motorway, get it checked =)

Luke.

Only happens once every few hundred miles and just started happening one day its a pain in the backside of a noise when it does happen tho sounds like its from the rear brakes then sometimes the front wondering if its a poxy stone thats stuck as the roads here in ireland aint exactly the best

Nope wouldnt know where or what to look at it only happens on occasions and i had the rear brake shoes done only 10,000 miles ago so still should have plenty of wear in them

I hear that people usually just give it a jet wash and the noise goes away

sounds like crap build up in the drum or possibly needs new shoes, if you take the drum off check for a lip of corrosion on the back edge and clean it off. That worked a treat for me

cheers
jay

Il have to pop down to the garage get it done cos i dont have a clue lol thanks everyone

Found out it was my front brake pads had worn down. Had them changed and now i find i have to push my foot further down to stop also the car tends to pull very very sightly to the left anyone have any ideas what this could be? Thanks

sticky caliper. Or have u got your tracking done recently?

I hope they bleed the brakes, after they changed the pads, as air in the system could causes spongy pedal. Other possibly is that, the pads needs to bed in as it is new just now

Last edited:
Nope they didnt bleed the brakes just changed the pads but the car is going in for a service this friday. How long does it take for them to bed in? Got the tracking done a few months ago but havnt felt any vibrations in the steering or any pulling exept for then i apply the brakes hard

hmmm .. around 50 to 100 miles should be beded in.

I would get them to bleed the brakes (this should help the pedal travel) and observe the brake pads after say 500 miles, see if you have any major uneven wear on the pads.

IF it is then i would suspect you have a sticky caliper.

Ming

hmmm .. around 50 to 100 miles should be beded in.

I would get them to bleed the brakes (this should help the pedal travel) and observe the brake pads after say 500 miles, see if you have any major uneven wear on the pads.

IF it is then i would suspect you have a sticky caliper.

Ming

Any of these an easy job? Im getting a full service to get prepared for the nct and i am having my rear brakes done as well all for 180 euro including labour is this good?

What are you actually getting done on the rear brakes ??What parts are they covering you ??

IF you are just getting rear shoe changed, i would say for 180 euro = £140 is really expensive. But if you are getting the drums, shoe, hand brakecable changd then i would say is reasonable :)

Brakes fulid should be changed every 2 years or so, may be that will be included in the service ?? When they change the brake fluid, they have to bleed the brake. Ask them about it

For calipers, the only hard thing is taking the brake line off, as it is likly to be rusted and be chewed when u r trying to take it off. But don't worry about the caliper just now, till you see high uneven wear on one side.

Ming

Well for 180 euro i am getting my oil changed oil filter air filter coolant flush and radiator flush coolant top up antifreeze brakes bled brake shoes adjusted at the rear handbrake adjusted all top ups of fluids will ask about my belts and see if they need renewing. Is this good? and he said he will make sure everything is ready for the nct which is the equivilant to the english mot so that it passes

Back