Technical Rear brakes binding on 2007 fiat panda. MOT fail

Currently reading:
Technical Rear brakes binding on 2007 fiat panda. MOT fail

Unfortunately I’ve not been using my Panda much this year due to working from home and not really getting the chance to go anywhere as there’s been so much on. The result is it failed it’s mot due to the rear brakes binding. They can’t fix it to day but what is the most likely problem resulting from lack of use? There didn’t seem to be any resistance when driving or noises and I could push the car as I had to leave a bit of space for the car parked behind. No problems releasing hand brake either.

Could it need a new brake drum or new callipers. No doubt both back brakes are affected if it’s down to lack of use. If it’s new drums I’m estimating £250 to £300 each.

Mileage 55,000

Last edited:
If you can'd do the work find another garage.

Worst case figures below -
Solid brake discs cost about £20 a pair.
Rear brake calipers (new) cost about £40 each. If one has seized get a pair because the other will soon follow. Rear brake pads about £20 axle set.
Rear drums and shoes (axle set) cost about £60. A pair of wheel cylinders take the total to about £90.​

I'll assume it's rear drums? As lunchbeers says, you don't get calipers with drum brakes, but wheel cylinders instead which push the shoes against the inside of the drum.

I had an advisory for binding rear brake a few years ago, removing the rusty build-up inside the drums that was fouling the shoes sorted it for me.

Could also be handbrake not releasing, if parked up with the handbrake on for a long time; or even shoe linings separating.

There's a good video here that covers everything:

If you can'd do the work find another garage.

Worst case figures below -
Solid brake discs cost about £20 a pair.​
Rear brake calipers (new) cost about £40 each. If one has seized get a pair because the other will soon follow. Rear brake pads about £20 axle set.​
Rear drums and shoes (axle set) cost about £60. A pair of wheel cylinders take the total to about £90.​
Our Seat had a failed caliper recently (handbrake adjuster seized) it was replaced by a garage for £145 with a complete brake fluid change thrown in. I felt this was a sensible charge as the caliper was £65.

Our Seat had a failed caliper recently (handbrake adjuster seized) it was replaced by a garage for £145 with a complete brake fluid change thrown in. I felt this was a sensible charge as the caliper was £65.
Absolutely A very reasonable cost.

Last year I replaced the LH rear caliper on the 100HP (hand brake lever seal leaking). I recently replaced the other side with the same issue, hence my argument that doing both first time around makes more sense.

Sat for awhile

If I was a betting man I go for rear wheel cylinders seized, assuming its drum brakes, or it’s on Bosh shoes and the shoes have come unglued. Usually more noticeable in reverse

you can simply free them up with a little tap of the piston ends, Taking the drums off and back on again is normally enough to dislodge them

However when you do this you normally have them leaking within the next two years

Adjusters not working properly is also very common

Last couple I have done I replaced the whole lot as a complete kit
Cylinders
Pads
Springs
Retaining pins
Adjusters

Good for another 10 years and very cheap. In fact cheaper than buying just the adjusters for some reason

Unfortunately it will require a strip down. But rear drum parts are dirt cheap

Absolutely A very reasonable cost.

Last year I replaced the LH rear caliper on the 100HP (hand brake lever seal leaking). I recently replaced the other side with the same issue, hence my argument that doing both first time around makes more sense.
I agree. As this car is really on its way out, we did one and the garage insisted the other does not need doing now. Also it got one tyre. Thats a first for me but I really want my daughter to dump thie thing 21 years is enough as the rings need doing and the tappets and the steering fluid and all the discs..... and the window and door seals and the gear change cables, and the gear knob... and..... You get the picture. It just will not actually die. Cost £7500 and repairs negliagble really so good cheap motoring.

Back