Technical Rear Axle Replacement ?

Currently reading:
Technical Rear Axle Replacement ?

sorry to resurrect:D but I remember JR saying that a 2018 rear axl would improve the ride quality on a 2011... you know where im going on this!
tongue.gif

am I correct? or remembering wrong....

would it be a straight swap? my axl is ok....but obv she is 10 soon and my car had not been looked after so its just a matter of time.

im in no way oblivious to johns issues and don't think swapping will be a breeze AT ALL but im all too aware that my axl is on borrowed time.....

I remember JR saying that a 2018 rear axl would improve the ride quality on a 2011

No, the rear beam change came in the 2010 model year, so your car should already have it.

Look underneath the car from the back; if you can see a round metal bar running through the length of the beam, you already have the modified version.

The earlier version is just a 'U' section steel beam, with no bar in the middle.

And yes, the modified rear beam does noticeably improve the ride on pre-2010 model year cars.

IIRC all 500C's had the modified rear beam from launch.

Last edited:
No, the rear beam change came in the 2010 model year, so your car should already have it.

Look underneath the car from the back; if you can see a round metal bar running through the length of the beam, you already have the modified version.

The earlier version is just a 'U' section steel beam, with no bar in the middle.
Yes mine has the roll bar, so I guess it really wouldn’t make too much of a difference.
It must be just me & the Terrible roads in my area!! I have upgraded my rear shocks from the standard but to be honest .. very little change to the general ride!

It must be just me & the Terrible roads in my area!!

No car with twist beam rear suspension is ever going to have the comfort of a limousine.

Even with the later beam, the ride is only just adequate.

But I think Fiat could have done better. The Mk1 Ka, for example, has a significantly smoother and softer ride, despite also having the inherent limitations of twist beam suspension.

Last edited:
Hi All, changed my daughters rear axle about a year back on an 09 plate. While there put new shocks , springs etc. A couple of things to bear in mind , might be already mentioned , but top bolt right hand side by the fuel tank doesn't have enuf room to come out , my solution was to cut a bit from it , measure ur cut and measure again, so you know it will go back with plenty of meat. The brake lines into the stub will more than likely snap when you need to take them of. The bolts going back into he new axle at the bottom of the shocks also needed shortening by a small amount , due to new axle not being exact. But they were my only problems, all in all , the new axle was £125 , the rest of furniture springs shocks etc were as priced as expected , but the brake lines I had to get from fiat , cost £76 , since then there are aftermarket brake lines available at much better pricing. Also measure the gap of the top of the wheel to arch, on the ground and when in the air and match it when setting it up on the new axle.

Back