Technical Rear Axle Replacement ?

Currently reading:
Technical Rear Axle Replacement ?

So a simple job just got way bigger, needed to replace the snapped off rear bump stops, already had new springs so along with the new stops went ahead and replaced the drivers side without much issue apart from getting the mounting lug into its hole for the stop which took some effort, moved onto the passenger side and had the " Oh S***t " moment, 20200915_150818.jpg 20200915_150824.jpg

I've decided rather than go for the newer type of suspension from a breakers, given my new springs would not be compatible and possibly other bits too I'll go with a replacement of what we already have, anyone replaced one and what issues might I have, do I need to remove the stub axles IE those 4 big bolts obscured by the drum brake mounting plate? What brake pipe issues might there be?
Baglady, you should check yours as I think i remember your car is only a year younger?

Wish me luck

https://www.imaxle.co.uk/new-fiat-5...prwqASqa4CRgmjvLaPWqVjc0lqFlPEcoaAsYJEALw_wcB

Last edited:
So a simple job just got way bigger, needed to replace the snapped off rear bump stops, already had new springs so along with the new stops went ahead and replaced the drivers side without much issue apart from getting the mounting lug into its hole for the stop which took some effort, moved onto the passenger side and had the " Oh S***t " moment, View attachment 212572 View attachment 212573

I've decided rather than go for the newer type of suspension from a breakers, given my new springs would not be compatible and possibly other bits too I'll go with a replacement of what we already have, anyone replaced one and what issues might I have, do I need to remove the stub axles IE those 4 big bolts obscured by the drum brake mounting plate? What brake pipe issues might there be?
Baglady, you should check yours as I think i remember your car is only a year younger?

Wish me luck

https://www.imaxle.co.uk/new-fiat-5...prwqASqa4CRgmjvLaPWqVjc0lqFlPEcoaAsYJEALw_wcB

Aww **** !!! Is that the cup that holds the springs? Mine seem ok for now as gave a good clean & rust prevention but I would need to know the details in swapping this axel as I know it’s a weak point given age!

Yes it is the bottom spring cup mot next month glad I spotted it now, no idea how long it's been like that could have been a few months noticed it didn't look the same when I saw the other bump stop had come off about 6 weeks ago, maybe the weekend state allowed the suspension to bottom and break the stop, so glad I noticed rather than it failing whilst driving with the daughter and better half driving?

Yes it is the bottom spring cup mot next month glad I spotted it now, no idea how long it's been like that could have been a few months noticed it didn't look the same when I saw the other bump stop had come off about 6 weeks ago, maybe the weekend state allowed the suspension to bottom and break the stop, so glad I noticed rather than it failing whilst driving with the daughter and better half driving?

Yeah I dread to think what could have happened !! at least you spotted it! & and it’s something that you can sort! It’s also something on my hit list! I’m keeping my eye on the joints

Let me know how you get on with bolts ect... I have trouble undoing them myself .. only thing that can hold me back

I've decided rather than go for the newer type of suspension from a breakers, given my new springs would not be compatible and possibly other bits too

Why not just buy the whole lot complete from a breakers (rear beam + dampers + springs)?

The upgrade to the newer type of rear beam is well worthwhile; the improvement in ride quality is significant.

If you're going to do that much work, why not reward yourself with a car that's a nicer drive at the end of it?

Why not just buy the whole lot complete from a breakers (rear beam + dampers + springs)?

The upgrade to the newer type of rear beam is well worthwhile; the improvement in ride quality is significant.

If you're going to do that much work, why not reward yourself with a car that's a nicer drive at the end of it?

Just concernd over "more issues" the replacement does come with a anti roll bar if that helps?
If I did go with newer what's the newest I can go?

Last edited:
How newer can you go with a replacement beam and would it still be compatible with the original dampers/springs?
(As mine are all new) plus would it really make a noticeable difference just swapping the beam for a newer one?

How newer can you go with a replacement beam and would it still be compatible with the original dampers/springs?
(As mine are all new) plus would it really make a noticeable difference just swapping the beam for a newer one?
As new as you want the axle from a 2019 500 would fit
There's only two versions the original with anti roll bar and the late 2009 onwards version with anti roll bar

Eh up John202020

Would be interested in this as a “how to “ think my daughters 500 on an 11 plate might be needing the same treatment (n)

Keep us updated on the swap - reading with interest and sorry can’t add owt as not done this job yet(y)

Yeah a “how to” would be great for a few of us [emoji23] I did see a video today ... most of the job I’m confident but when it comes to brake lines I get scared [emoji23]
And I’m not fond of rusty nuts either!

Axle ordered, suspect the four bolts holding the stub axle on to be a big issue the drum mounting flange obscures the bolt ends given its stupid torque I really don't want to remove it if I don't have to? and the brake pipes, not to mention we don't have a drive or garage so its on the large pavement out back( there's still plenty space for people walking by as its about twice as wide as the car thankfully)

Reactions: TTR
Axle ordered, suspect the four bolts holding the stub axle on to be a big issue the drum mounting flange obscures the bolt ends given its stupid torque I really don't want to remove it if I don't have to? and the brake pipes, not to mention we don't have a drive or garage so its on the large pavement out back( there's still plenty space for people walking by as its about twice as wide as the car thankfully)

The brake pipes freak me out [emoji23]? hopefully you find a way to leave them alone!?

Back