Technical Rear Axle Replacement ?

Currently reading:
Technical Rear Axle Replacement ?

Regrettably not [emoji853], it's fighting me, once off I then have the issue of removing the 4 rusted nuts holding the stub axles on without shearing off the studs that are integral to the stub assembly.

Hopefully you will be able to get the nuts out without too much drama!
How far have you got so far? Or are you waiting for the part before cracking on?

Hopefully you will be able to get the nuts out without too much drama!
How far have you got so far? Or are you waiting for the part before cracking on?

Got the two BIG bolts that hold the whole thing on at the front loose(nuts off, what a strain that was, you can't get a ratchet on or torque wrench so its spanners) all of the drivers side brakes off and pipe disconnected, passenger side though I didn't replace the wheel cylinder a few years ago, nuts holding cylinder on seized brake pipe union seized, hand brake cable outer snapped(have a new one in the shed by mistake), once I've cut the brake pipe I should be able to remove the whole thing,,,,, then I can start on the stub nuts?

In their wisdom, NOT, Fiat routed the brake pipes through holes in brackets, not slots like almost all other makes do, that allow you to remove the clip and simply move to one side, yet more things to overcome.

• Thanks
Reactions: TTR
Got the two BIG bolts that hold the whole thing on at the front loose(nuts off, what a strain that was, you can't get a ratchet on or torque wrench so its spanners) all of the drivers side brakes off and pipe disconnected, passenger side though I didn't replace the wheel cylinder a few years ago, nuts holding cylinder on seized brake pipe union seized, hand brake cable outer snapped(have a new one in the shed by mistake), once I've cut the brake pipe I should be able to remove the whole thing,,,,, then I can start on the stub nuts?

In their wisdom, NOT, Fiat routed the brake pipes through holes in brackets, not slots like almost all other makes do, that allow you to remove the clip and simply move to one side, yet more things to overcome.

Yeah I noticed how the brake pipes were fitted when I was changing my rear hubs! Those nuts look almost impossible to remove while the whole thing still on the car! Take pics if you can it will really REALLY help when I need to swap out mine!

I bought the entire beam with hubs and replaced the lot. I didn’t do it myself, my mobile mechanic did. He had a few minor issues with the brake pipes as he had trouble getting them apart. He suggested if we do another one that it might be better to buy the short brake pipes. Only took about hour and a half but the whole thing was very very heavy.

Only paid £100 for the entire thing.

So after a bad day yesterday when you doubt yourself etc my dad(85) came over for a but moral support and again today, have finally got the new beam ready to go on, have also managed to get the brake pipe connector apart that allows the new pipe to connect, need some new 12mm Nylock nuts but a better day today, will attempt to 're fit the new axle tomorrow

Attachments

• 20200919_175010.jpg
    20200919_175010.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 80
That's the new wheel cylinder on top of the beam, the brake pipe cost £2.50 from the MDC near my dad that's been there since I was a small child, if you look closely you can see the "anti roll bar" a tube that runs along the beam within the c section

This £20 impact driver(less battery) really helped get the brake pipe connector apart, from Lidl

So glad your getting there! It hurts when things seem to get worse!! But I suppose they can only get better! It seems no matter how much older we get we still need our parents [emoji23] bet your looking forward to finishing this job!

You're right, so axle on the two mounting bolts were a swine to get back in through both mounting holes first was not too bad second really hard, springs in place shocks connected( found they made an error one mounting point is the correct distance apart, the other is 10mm too wide, fortunately so a few washers it is) its possible I have the wrong brake cable on the drivers side, need to take it off and compare with new one for the passenger side(drivers is longer), but yes whilst it still fights me there is light at the end of the tunnel .

You're right, so axle on the two mounting bolts were a swine to get back in through both mounting holes first was not too bad second really hard, springs in place shocks connected( found they made an error one mounting point is the correct distance apart, the other is 10mm too wide, fortunately so a few washers it is) its possible I have the wrong brake cable on the drivers side, need to take it off and compare with new one for the passenger side(drivers is longer), but yes whilst it still fights me there is light at the end of the tunnel .

I’m so thrilled for you! Hard work & doubts pay off in the end and it’s another notch on your skills!
I swear one day with everyone’s input on this forum we could re build a 500 one day and alter all those ****ty little issues that fiat have become known for!!! Like the rotting engine water pipe!!

there is light at the end of the tunnel .

That's good to hear.

Stay positive, John; there is light at the end of the tunnel. If there is anyone on this forum who can do this, it's you.

found they made an error one mounting point is the correct distance apart, the other is 10mm too wide

Are you saying you've bought a new aftermarket beam and the mountings aren't dimensionally correct? If so, this is something that needs to be taken up with the manufacturer - I have a feeling that a lot of folks are going to be relying on these parts in the future.

Last edited:
That's good to hear.

Stay positive, John; there is light at the end of the tunnel. If there is anyone on this forum who can do this, it's you.

Are you saying you've bought a new aftermarket beam and the mountings aren't dimensionally correct? If so, this is something that needs to be taken up with the manufacturer - I have a feeling that a lot of folks are going to be relying on these parts in the future.

Correct, I will send them a email

So,,, update, axle on all sorted mot today passed with only 2 advisories ( chip in windscreen, been there forever and repaired, and needs two new front tyres, which I knew about ) yey,,, only issue, the once level steering wheel is now turned right to keep the car straight, this means the rear is out of alignment, which is fixed and non adjustable, I've not measured it yet(wanted to get our 11year old car through first) but suspect the wheel base is off, my friendly Kwik Fit mot tester took pictures of the cracked axle from my phone to show other people so whilst it's "all good" and seems to handle better there's just the tracking issue to sort, I'm also experimenting running on Super Unleaded.

Attachments

• 20200918_134812.jpg
    20200918_134812.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 117
  • 20200919_134333.jpg
    20200919_134333.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 103
  • 20200918_182639.jpg
    20200918_182639.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 87
Not a particularly difficult job although the weight of it can make it awkward.

When the car is relatively new all the bolts come out easily and the brake pipes come apart freely, fast forward to 11 years old an you're looking at a totally different scenario?

Back