Technical Rear Axle Replacement ?

Currently reading:
Technical Rear Axle Replacement ?

New spring’s finally arrived! Looking forward to fitting!

Attachments

• IMG_9713.jpeg
    IMG_9713.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
All successfully fitted and car back on the road! However, word of warning for those who are thinking of doing this using the Axle I purchased. The drivers side lower shock mount does not line up and when I put the bolt in it knackered it! I had to clear out the thread with a tap and drill the mount hole bigger so it would line up! All successful and looking good, drives really well.

Attachments

• IMG_9772.jpeg
    IMG_9772.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9787.jpeg
    IMG_9787.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9788.jpeg
    IMG_9788.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
All successfully fitted and car back on the road! However, word of warning for those who are thinking of doing this using the Axle I purchased. The drivers side lower shock mount does not line up and when I put the bolt in it knackered it! I had to clear out the thread with a tap and drill the mount hole bigger so it would line up! All successful and looking good, drives really well.
I should take that up with the supplier they might give you some money back! also be good if you could remind us whom you bought from so if anyone goes to buy from them in the future they can mention your problems before they but in case anything goes wrong! mention your issues to the supplier and suggest that they follow it up with the manufacturers!

I should take that up with the supplier they might give you some money back! also be good if you could remind us whom you bought from so if anyone goes to buy from them in the future they can mention your problems before they but in case anything goes wrong! mention your issues to the supplier and suggest that they follow it up with the manufacturers!
Pretty sure it wasn't IM axle

When I contacted them re wrong spacing I got no reply but as the poster hasn't mentioned it maybe they've just adjusted it?
Bit vague for anyone thinking of buying one though isnt it! :unsure: I would not be confident it would fit without" modification":rolleyes: and i would not be happy😤 aftyer spending that sort of money!.😱

This sort of thing is often the case with pattern aftermarket parts; a little fettling may be needed to get them to fit properly, whereas OEM ones generally go on without issue.

But an OEM 500 axle would likely be well north of £1000, even if you could find one. And even OEM axles have something of a reputation for being somewhat variable with respect to the geometry.

For me, the real takeaway from this story is that if you have an original beam and it's still sound, it's worth taking the time to protect it to make sure it stays that way.

I've not come across any significant dimensional problems with the (quite a few) IM-Axle Panda beams that I've fitted so far.
I do tend to build up a complete unit ahead of time, so it's just a meccano job once the car is up in the air, so any "adjustments" would be done on a bench, in comfort. But so far, other than cleaning excess paint from a few holes, they've fitted just fine.
Looks like their 500 jig needs a tweak, so definitely worth contacting them.

This was my required fix(the washers) and the abs cable supports were I the wrong place for the moulded cable fitments
My shock gaps were fine, just the lining up was an issue. After doing this I found a YouTube video with same Axle and they had same issue. Just check and fettle before you fit. It is a good axle.

Last edited:
Back