Technical Rear Subframe Replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Rear Subframe Replacement

Guys your help please, I need to replace the rear beam on my old 2008 500 Pop

Question, is it possible to fit the later type with the internal torsion bar..? It has drum brakes. if so where can I buy one from?

Cheers, Dave

Question, is it possible to fit the later type with the internal torsion bar..? It has drum brakes. if so where can I buy one from?
The later type of beam was introduced for the 2010 model year; at that time, the perceived wisdom was that it was matched to different springs & dampers, and that it was advisable to change all of these as a set. The ride was noticeably improved, and some folks started fitting the later type of rear beam assemblies recovered from written off vehicles. This was at a time when the only source of new replacement beams was from FIAT (and they weren't cheap).

Now we have the aftermarket replacements from IM axles, and most folks will use these. However, IM axles don't differentiate between the earlier and later beams, so presumably these are now getting fitted to cars with both earlier and later types.

When you're tasked with saving a car that would otherwise be beyond economic repair, the fine detail of the spring/damper choice is perhaps not the most important concern, so I'll bet most folks either just reuse what's already there, or, if they're not fit for further use, put on whatever is affordable from the local factors.

On a 15yr old 500, that's certainly what I'd do.

It's a job you can do if you have time and tools, you can re use the old springs and shocks.
You will need new wheel cylinders new brake pipes star lock washers for the hand brake cables, maybe new brake flexible hoses the brake pipes will be your biggest issue.
There will be many small issues to overcome that will need thought.
I replaced ours a few years ago when the car was 12 years old

Back