kgrhqjqce88ftru69bpbzim.jpg

Panda (Classic) Rarer than a 599 GTO.

Introduction

It is!!!
Only 30 on the road... might be a reason why. :p

Ebay pics for now, but I got it this morning and it has some quirks.

kgrhqzjye9hsu1qqbpbzjjz.jpg

kgrhqjqce88ftru69bpbzim.jpg

kgrhqnoue9ddijyhbpbzjgs.jpg
Gradually worse until it leaves you stranded.

That is the nature of most battery charging related issues due to your demands on them with the recharge/starting cycle.

It might take ages to cause you trouble, but probably not. Down to your demands, like short trips, etc. Sounds like MEP is getting away with it too. Got away with it for a couple of years of commuting on an old land rover of mine a few years ago, but it got me in the end!

Now you've explained it Lewey a failed/failing diode is what it is. It's all coming back to me now :p

Our mechanic diagnosed it about 6 years (20/30k miles) back, dad removed the battery light, then when restoring the 750L I decided to replace it. I'd rather a light reminding me of a minor issue, that I can monitor by seeing if it gets brighter, than having no reminder of it :eek:

The car has sat for the last 4.5 years mind so knowing my luck it will fail now. I'm changing the timing belt next weekend so might just chuck the spare I have in it as its only an extra 5 min or so.

Last edited:
Gradually worse until it leaves you stranded.

That is the nature of most battery charging related issues due to your demands on them with the recharge/starting cycle.

It might take ages to cause you trouble, but probably not. Down to your demands, like short trips, etc. Sounds like MEP is getting away with it too. Got away with it for a couple of years of commuting on an old land rover of mine a few years ago, but it got me in the end!

Now you've explained it Lewey a failed/failing diode is what it is. It's all coming back to me now :p

Our mechanic diagnosed it about 6 years (20/30k miles) back, dad removed the battery light, then when restoring the 750L I decided to replace it. I'd rather a light reminding me of a minor issue, that I can monitor by seeing if it gets brighter, than having no reminder of it :eek:

The car has sat for the last 4.5 years mind so knowing my luck it will fail now. I'm changing the timing belt next weekend so might just chuck the spare I have in it as its only an extra 5 min or so.

I got free AA roadside coverage and the AA app, so i'll just see what happens. :)

Guy at work "I saw your new car.... *Dies laughing* does it turn into a supercar at night? I haven't seen a Panda in years." This from a guy who rides a bicycle.

Ok, the doors are knackered. But, I don't get the Panda hate?

If it is consistent, even when motoring along, you probably have a failing alternator. They are a 3 phase design, of which one phase is not outputting correctly, almost always because of failing diodes. So you have a 2/3 operative alternator that puts a half-hearted warning lamp up as a result.

I would start looking for a (recon) alternator (on eBay?).

They are a doddle to fit and you should be able to get one really cheaply.

You will need to do lots of these little jobs until you are happy with your car - sounds like it has not had any tlc for a while. Stick at it Aston, you are doing a sterling job(y)

Here's a top tip I was told by an Italian mechanic who was at Goodwood when I had my Panda Biancca.

"Se avete problemi elettrici e il vostro orologio non perde tempo avete bisogno di un nuovo alternatore. Se il vostro orologio perde tempo hai bisogno di una nuova batteria."

Basically...

If you have electrical issues and your clock doesn't lose time; you need a new alternator. If your clock loses time you need a new battery.

...I'd like to add to that, if you're driving a base model without a dash clock you're on your own. ;)

I would start looking for a (recon) alternator (on eBay?).

They are a doddle to fit and you should be able to get one really cheaply.

You will need to do lots of these little jobs until you are happy with your car - sounds like it has not had any tlc for a while. Stick at it Aston, you are doing a sterling job(y)

Thanks, the only money I've spent so far is on service bits. Next payday is when I sort most other jobs out.
It's the little things making me happy. A straight steering wheel is amazing. :D

Doors are a common failure spot on Pandas. How bad are they? Have the seems rusted and split?

kgrhqzjye9hsu1qqbpbzjjz.jpg

KGrHqV_n8E9eZ75wguBPbzid_hS_60_12.jpg

Drivers door looks a lot easier to deal with than the passengers side.

Here's a top tip I was told by an Italian mechanic who was at Goodwood when I had my Panda Biancca.

"Se avete problemi elettrici e il vostro orologio non perde tempo avete bisogno di un nuovo alternatore. Se il vostro orologio perde tempo hai bisogno di una nuova batteria."

Basically...

If you have electrical issues and your clock doesn't lose time; you need a new alternator. If your clock loses time you need a new battery.

...I'd like to add to that, if you're driving a base model without a dash clock you're on your own. ;)

The Parade is 'fully loaded' and has a clock. :p I had to reset the clock on Saturday. I'll see if it's kept time.

EDIT: Ashtray and steering wheel spring arrived. Amazingly fast delivery by the Vman. (y)

Looks like you can get away with corner sections for the doors and my local paint shop have a colour match scanner.

I need to do the corners of my Fantasia and lower door skins for my 750 race car. I'll do another guide if you like. :)

I've seen worse doors.

You might struggle to match in the paint - can you still get the metallic bluey/green parade colour?

Spring Green in a google search was no help, didn't search for paint codes.

Looks like you can get away with corner sections for the doors and my local paint shop have a colour match scanner.

I need to do the corners of my Fantasia and lower door skins for my 750 race car. I'll do another guide if you like. :)

If it was a flat colour, id give it a go myself. But, metallic looks like it could end in disaster.

Translationi de Google. ;)

I have a few alternators in my shed if you need one. I think the 16V one will fit and runs more amps.

Ok, the battery light of annoyance. In daylight, it is on. But it's soo dim, you need to shade it with your hand and hold your breath to see it. I'm just gonna leave it be and if worst comes to worst. I have to call the AA out.

It's not hate - everyone loves Pandas. It must therefore be jealousy - QED! ;):D

I'm jealous of everyone elses Panda. (y)

I might have a run to the Fiat dealer tomorrow and attempt to order the sunroof elastic straps... no, I haven't done it yet. :eek:

Fixed
Quick service oil/air/plugs.
Indicators
Steering wheel

Needs to be fixed
Steering center/horn spring

Need to order:
Rear sunroof clip.
2 elastic roof straps
Aerial
Cheap stereo
Headlight bulbs that work
Get key cut
Lockable fuel cap
Boot lock

Parts fitted
Ashtray... for a non-smoker. :slayer:

I had a quick look and these are the type of bulb the car has.

You can still get exact same bulb but with yellow coloured envelope.
That would add even more retro style as old citroens.
it's only couple £

Ps. dont go over rated wattage to prevent light switch issue.

Last edited:
I'm using these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230429565...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_5223wt_1371

...but any P45 H4 will do a better job than the Edisons.

I've got a couple of CD players kicking about if you want one.

When I fit pins you can have the boot lock from my 750 "Guff II" project.

I've just bought a new gravity gun for spray work and have done all sorts of paint jobs on my streetfighters over the years. Flat matt to flip pearls with true-flame effect. A half door blend shouldn't be too difficult. ;)

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
You can still get exact same bulb but with yellow coloured envelope.
That would add even more retro style as old citroens.
it's only couple £

Ps. dont go over rated wattage to prevent light switch issue.

I'm using these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230429565...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_5223wt_1371

...but any P45 H4 will do a better job than the Edisons.

Gold tint? Is that too high wattage for a Panda?

What about these?

Linky

Or will I end up looking like this? :yuck:

29821150107_large.jpg

I've got a couple of CD players kicking about if you want one.

I was just gonna go with something like this.

Linky

Obviously terrible, but I don't listen to CD's and I like the idea of SD/USB.

When I fit pins you can have the boot lock from my 750 "Guff II" project.

Thanks.

I've just bought a new gravity gun for spray work and have done all sorts of paint jobs on my streetfighters over the years. Flat matt to flip pearls with true-flame effect. A half door blend shouldn't be too difficult. ;)

If you want to do it you can. :p

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back