Radar/Laser Detector

Currently reading:
Radar/Laser Detector

juwel-180

I dont want to get done by the police and i want to know where the camera's are. Being a new driver i want to get somthing to warn me.

What would you guys suggest? (y)

Easy - don't break any laws and you won't get done.

(And aren't detectors illegal?)

Detectors are legal. Jamming is illegal. you can also have them fitted as they can work on the same frequency as your garage door remote ;)

Last edited:
Detectors are legal. Jamming is illegal. you can also have them fitted as they can work on the same frequency as your garage door remote ;)

Ahh ok.. I read somewhere they weren't; but then again we're in different parts of the world :)

ye im not talking about laser blockers as getting caught with one of them is not good! I mean i want somthing to warn me of accident hot spots and all types of camera if u see what i mean :)

Most new Satnavs do that these days

Most detectors are leagal here in the UK atm as long as theyre not ON wen ure pulled over, but to be safe id jst stick to he limit cos its not worth it if you do get caught

The GPS speed camera database ones arent illegal and they arent planning on making them either, its only a database thats being accessed for the location of the cameras.
The only things that are illegal are the laser jammers (which dont work well anyway).

The GPS camera database ones are useful and most sat navs have these built in.
They will inform you of speed camera (fixed) sites and warn you about (mobile site locations). The problem is that mobile speed enforcement vans use mobile laser to record your speed and these vans of course arent fixed so can be anywhere where you travel.

i dont think any sort of detectors are illegal, i had one that detects gatso and lasers however jammers are illegal. the detectors are crap they go off everythime u go past somewhere with an automatic door and they dont pick up avereage speed camereas. If you have a sat nave such as a tom tom go here http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/ to download a camera database and your tomtom will warn u wherever u go near one.

Last edited:
Lots of confusion in here, lets clear it up :p

Laser detectors are perfectly LEGAL in the UK, even Stephen Ladyman has one :rolleyes: ( I know he's no longer transport minister but meh). A laser detector is merely a unit that monitors for lasers being aimed at your vehicle or close by. - These can be useful, however by the time its warned you the Police will already have a reading on your car. They also pick up Tesco's automatic doors :p.

I personaly reccomend a Road Angel, they can be quite expensive, but they are recognised as market leaders. They do compact units which have the GPS database built in which warns you about:
i) Accident Black Spots
ii) Fixed Safety Cameras
iii) Safety Camera Vans
iv) School Zones
v) Temporary cameras (Such as road work locations)
vi) More, but can't remember

I've got a Road Angel Sat nav unit myself, and highly reccomend it.

The other unit worth considering is the Tom Tom 720 with traffic and camera alerts. This'll be my next unit.

Tom

Last edited:
after alot of descision making i decided on getting myself a Snooper S6 with RLD unit.

this allows the best of all three sources, it has the GPS database, active laser detection and active radar detection, you can also set minimum speeds for the sensors to be activated to prevent the faulse alarms caused by doors.

as it happens there are going rediculously cheap on ebay at the moment, i just got mine for £55 + delivery!

i'm not going to be using a jammer for the obvious reason of if you are caught i have heard your car can be taken (n)

i've heard really good things of the S6 so i'm eager to get it installed and test it out :D

Ry

ye im not talking about laser blockers as getting caught with one of them is not good! I mean i want somthing to warn me of accident hot spots and all types of camera if u see what i mean :)
you can look at my post if you want there are pics of the origin b2 which i have, with laser detector as an option which i have.there is also snooper who i would reccomend,they have what you are looking for its called the saphire which i might get myself, here is the link http://www.snooper.co.uk/?ref=googleads hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back