Quitting smoking - hints and tips??

Currently reading:
Quitting smoking - hints and tips??

ABZSTILO

Inverness Sierra
Folks,
Have bitten the bullet and quit smoking tonight at midnight :eek: Trouble is, I managed 14 months once before then started again :( Like last time, plan on going cold turkey without any 'chemical' help - but are there any ex-smokers who know better or can provide practical advice?
I do not want to start up again - but evidently I'm weak :rolleyes: so suggestions (practical/useful ones (y) ) appreciated :worship:

My Dad went cold turkey after 30 years, difficult though! His situation was a bit different, he didn't want to quit and had no ambition really to. He was rushed into hospital on a Sunday afternoon, turns out he'd got Cancer and due to the fact he was wired up on stuff he had no way out of the hospital. So when he eventually did come out of hospital he didnt bother again.

Good Luck, Hope you win! (y) (y)

Hope you never have to but watching my dad die in hospital from smoking stopped me in my tracks. I promised him, as he was dying that I would never smoke again. How could I let him down when those were my last words.

Dedicate stopping to someone you care about and make them that promise. Letting someone else down is harder than dissapointing yourself.

I give up just over a year ago now and i have to admit it is quite hard even after all this time, i still have the odd one and i always end up hating my self afterwards :( but i am getting there....

Best way i found to help me give up to start with, which is the hardest bit was to stay away from the places you were most tempted to smoke. For me it was the pub so i very rarely went and for other times id try to find something to take my mind off it.

Usually the temptation is stronger when you get bored so just try to keep busy. Make a cuppa if there's nothing else to do. Try to see yourself from outside your body and imagine how weak you would look to yourself if you gave in again.
Even now after about 3 years it crosses my mind to have a smoke but I always remember how stupid I was for giving in to temptation once before, so this time it should be a lot easier to stay on track.

Good on you for giving up you can do it no problems ;)

everytime you want a fag get someone to slap you, sooner or later you wont a fag because you dont want a slap

beastyjay said:
everytime you want a fag get someone to slap you, sooner or later you wont a fag because you dont want a slap
B_rotfl.gif

That is funny.....and probably effective

Another plus would be you'd save a bucket of cash :D

i havent tried quitting yet, because i dont pay for mine so dont have to worry about that, but when im feeling like crap like i am now i have carrot sticks. each time i want a smoke ill have a carrot stick instead, as dave said it keeps your hands n mouth busy and they are yummy aswell.

ccouldnt get any today tgo so had a few smoeks instead

Back