Technical Quick guide to fitting new front brake pads.

Currently reading:
Technical Quick guide to fitting new front brake pads.

Stuartl

Maranellohouse.com
I'm sure everyone knows what to do but just in case here's a quick guide.

1. Remove the 2 little pins that hold the retaining plates for the caliper on. You can just see one below my thumb.

sylviaremovingcaliperclip.jpg

2. Once both are out, gently tap out the retaining plates. 9 times out of 10 they will simply pull out. That's them on the floor.

sylviapadretainingclipfitted.jpg

3. Gently tap off the caliper and pull the old pads off. Make sure you don't lose the retaining springs for the pads. (see photo above)

4. Squeeze the caliper piston all the way in. I use a large G clamp to do this as you can turn it in slowly without doing any harm to the piston.

5. Fit the retaining spring clip to the pads before putting it onto the caliper frame.

sylviapadretainingclipfitted.jpg

6. Push the caliper back on making sure caliper is pushing against the spring on the caliper frame

sylviarefittingcaliper.jpg

7. refit the caipler plates. The retaining pin end should be on the inside towards the engine.

sylviaretainingplategoingon.jpg

All done. If your taking anymore than 20 minutes to do the job you've done something wrong.:D

Or the piston is out and the caliper is jammed on!!!!!..:eek:.one hour later and a big hammer...had that a few times on them when they have sat for awhile!!!!

Another great post...keep it up..(y)

kev

Last edited:
Good stuff again Stu... (y)

Just one little thing: when winding the piston back in with a G-clamp it's worth keeping an eye on the level in the reservoir... I went from discs worn below the minimum and pads that were way down and ended up having to take some fluid out...

Again great photos. Luke.

Just done all that but the new pads came with some clips that don’t seem to fit anywhere.
There is one bent lollie stick in spring steel and 4 squashed paperclips.
No instructions in box or in ferodo website

If I remember correctly, the larger clips wedge in at the top of the pad and the thin bent wire ones (lolly sticks??) go around the shamfered corner on the bottom of the pad. Pandas I've had have not always had the bottom ones and they don't always seem to appear in kits either. These are in addition to the wedge retaining clips. This sounds a bit confusing now I've written it, but they are not that easy to describe!

Last edited:
Back