Technical Mk1 Panda 45 brake pads!

Currently reading:
Technical Mk1 Panda 45 brake pads!

Guys, your help please, my old Mk1 Panda 45 failed the MOT on insufficient front brakes, everything's fine mechanical wise, just no bite from the pads. what do you recommend pad wise, Mintex ,Ferodo, Pagid,?? don't forget there's no servo

Dave

Guys, your help please, my old Mk1 Panda 45 failed the MOT on insufficient front brakes, everything's fine mechanical wise, just no bite from the pads. what do you recommend pad wise, Mintex ,Ferodo, Pagid,?? don't forget there's no servo

Dave
Any reasonably good quality make should be fine, just make sure the caliper pistons are not sticking and the caliper slide easily , also that the discs are not corroded and generally in good order, clean with a full contact area. Unlikely but you haven't got any stupidly over size wheels and tyres on, as I have found that cause a lack of bite when doing an emergency stop! Remind the tester that it doesn't have a servo as many are used to a light pedal. When I was at college I was told a brake servo doesn't improve your braking, it only reduces pedal effort!!!
Try giving the tester Diving boots;)

Any reasonably good quality make should be fine, just make sure the caliper pistons are not sticking and the caliper slide easily , also that the discs are not corroded and generally in good order, clean with a full contact area. Unlikely but you haven't got any stupidly over size wheels and tyres on, as I have found that cause a lack of bite when doing an emergency stop! Remind the tester that it doesn't have a servo as many are used to a light pedal. When I was at college I was told a brake servo doesn't improve your braking, it only reduces pedal effort!!!
Try giving the tester Diving boots;)
Further to the servo point.
Is it possible at some time in it's life a brake master cylinder from a servo assisted system has been fitted ( I don't know if this is physically possible on your car) if so the bore size of the cylinder may be bigger or smaller. In effect altering the ratio between pump master and slave cylinder(caliper).
If all else fails it is possible to fit a universal brake servo in the line from the master cylinder, though if you have dual circuit brakes (at least two pipes from the master cylinder) it starts to get involved. Years ago I had a 1750 Alfa Romeo GTV that as standard had twin brake servos under the bonnet. Years before that it was possible to buy a Girling brake servo kit to "uprate" the braking on tuned cars etc.

Dave
Mintex and Pagid are both part of Textar, so either are good. Ferodo always good. Any of those, whichever is easiest to get hold of.
As said above, ensure the caliper moves freely, they are prone to sticking.

Just to finish off this thread, what happened in the end is I bought some new old stock 1980's asbestos filled genuine Fiat pads. They now work perfectly, just as Fiat intended with a non servo car.

Dave

Back