Technical QUESTION: Timing Belt went out on the Highway

Currently reading:
Technical QUESTION: Timing Belt went out on the Highway

jomeza001

Guys Yesterday I was on the hwy and out of a sudden my 2014 500L Fiat lost all power... engine light on the dash started blinking along with many more dash lights. I was able to maneuver it to pull over and finally the engine died.

If I try to fire it up I can hear the starter working but it sounds like if the starter had no load to turn.. it turns freely and effortlessly.

I am assuming the timing belt went off. Do you think that is?

If so, is it a matter of just replace the timing belt? Or is there a chance my head valves got bent? How can I check for valves to be ok?

I have all the tools to do the timing belt replace at home it's just I have never done a timing belt replace before.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I believe you have different engines - larger capacity - to the ones over here in Europe and the UK. Over here the 500 has an interference engine as far as I know so a broken timing belt nearly always results in damage to valves etc. Can you tell us what engine is in your car? then someone more knowledgeable than me can give you more info.

Don't guess about timing belt check it.
If the timing belt has broken then you will be looking for a replacement engine-yes the damage caused by a broken belt is catastrophic.
The problem could be something else but you need to check the timing belt first.

Just out of curiosity, how many miles/years did the car have after the previous cambelt change until this failure occurred?

Lots of people don't really care about the belts. Hopefully it'll be just the valves and a headgasket.

On much older 8 valve low compression engines with more substantial pistons and valve guides , sometimes it was possible / economically viable to repair the damage caused by a broken belt.
Modern engines- 16valves, weaker pistons that distort at edges where valves strike trapping the piston rings, valve guides that split when a valve is bent. More often than not economically unviable.
Fitting a used head is a big gamble due potential unseen piston damage.

Remove the black plastic shrouds and see for yourself :)
Do we yet actually know if this is a broken belt? jomeza, in the great order of things, it's not all that difficult to remove a belt cover and visually inspect it. Then you'll have a much better idea what you're facing.
Please do let us know how you get on. If it does turn out to be a broken belt and your engine is a multiair then if there's damage to the Multiair module I'm afraid repairs are likely to be of considerable expense - Hence chris 3234 recommendation above.

Guys Yesterday I was on the hwy and out of a sudden my 2014 500L Fiat lost all power... engine light on the dash started blinking along with many more dash lights. I was able to maneuver it to pull over and finally the engine died.

If I try to fire it up I can hear the starter working but it sounds like if the starter had no load to turn.. it turns freely and effortlessly.

I am assuming the timing belt went off. Do you think that is?

If so, is it a matter of just replace the timing belt? Or is there a chance my head valves got bent? How can I check for valves to be ok?

I have all the tools to do the timing belt replace at home it's just I have never done a timing belt replace before.

Thanks in advance.
What mileage is your 500L? My has 200 000km with the original belt.

That sounds pretty bad. Stop driving immediately and book the car for a cambelt change. You're going to need the cambelt, waterpump, tensioner, auxiliary belt, aux tensioner. Probably the alternator freewheel pulley needs changing too.

Or sell it to someone you don't like. :LOL:

Hi,
Wow.
How old is your 500L what engine size is it?
Petrol(gas) or diesel?
If it has a timing belt and it breaks the engine will be destroyed , you would need a complete new engine. Is that worth risking?

Best wishes
Jack

Hi,
Wow.
How old is your 500L what engine size is it?
Petrol(gas) or diesel?
If it has a timing belt and it breaks the engine will be destroyed , you would need a complete new engine. Is that worth risking?

Best wishes
Jack
It is 2015. Replaced the timing belt, pump and tensioner a few days before. The belt found in a good condition. The manufacturer recommended interval is 10 years or 160 000 miles.

That sounds pretty bad. Stop driving immediately and book the car for a cambelt change. You're going to need the cambelt, waterpump, tensioner, auxiliary belt, aux tensioner. Probably the alternator freewheel pulley needs changing too.

Or sell it to someone you don't like. :LOL:
The manufacturer recommendation is 10 years or 160 000 miles . . .

I think there may be something lost in translation for North America continent
I've often seen 100,000 mile 10 year interval from different manufactures......
160,000 kilometres is about 100,000 miles.

I suspect somewhere along the line someone didn't convert the kilometres to miles in recommend change interval.

1690308823296.png

Do you still get manufacturer warranty after 15 years? I doubt that you do. Did you take a look at the other pages if it mentions any need for previous belt changes. Maybe it mentions the first belt change at 6-7 th year at 120 000 km. That'd sound a lot wiser to me. :unsure:

Back