General Question: battery symbol alert on dashboard

Currently reading:
General Question: battery symbol alert on dashboard

swebb

Start the engine and after about 10 seconds or so this indicator comes on. I'll be booking it into the dealer - anyone else had this? Significant problem/what was the problem? New battery needed?

cheers.

Hi mate,

Usually indicates a fault in the charging system...ie your alternator not providing enough charge. Can also sometimes be caused by a loose connection but more than likely you alternator is faulty or the aux drive belt is slipping.

Alan

I've booked it in for Friday.

I have a 100 mile round trip on Thursday - a wise trip or should I give that a miss do you think?

This light comes on when your alternator is not making electricity and the car is running off of battery power alone you can drive a short distance on the battery, especially if you turn off most of your car's electrical items like the radio, air conditioning but there's no way to know how far you'll get before it dies. If you see this light come on, you'll either need to replace your alternator belt or the alternator, or may be time for a new battery but before you do this, go ahead and check your battery connections. Sometimes cleaning the connections will fix a charging problem (y)

I've booked it in for Friday.

I have a 100 mile round trip on Thursday - a wise trip or should I give that a miss do you think?

If you have a multimeter, there is a simple test you can do. Start the engine, and set your multimeter to DC volts. Put the positive probe on the positive terminal and the negative on the negative terminal. You want a reading of around 14 volts. If you have around 14 volts, then the alternator is charging the battery, and its more likely to be a wiring problem. (Sometimes the smaller wire coming from the alternator can become loose and will trigger the warning light)

Its unlikely to be the battery, so i would carry out the above checks first.

Alan

Thanks guys. I can chekc the battery connections - where is the alternater?

Now it's got really bad. Driving about 40 miles this evening; power steering went, hill holder went and somthing else. Beeps etc etc. Checked the battery and all connections seem fine. Taking it to the dealers tomorrow.

Do you think all these are related to the original battery problem??

Now it's got really bad. Driving about 40 miles this evening; power steering went, hill holder went and somthing else. Beeps etc etc. Checked the battery and all connections seem fine. Taking it to the dealers tomorrow.

Do you think all these are related to the original battery problem??

Even worse - car won't start now. Phoned breakdown - will get towed to the dealers I guess.

What was the final outcome - did you get the car fixed ok?

Sure enough it was the alternator. Warrantly covered it. Dealer had it for a week though - Croma parts tend to take quite a while.

Back