Styling Quarantine Stilos

Currently reading:
Styling Quarantine Stilos

does anybody know if to do a timing belt one of the engine mounts actually has to come out/be loosened as i find it hard to believe but with this engine it wouldnt surprise me?

Not sure about engine mounts, though provided you support the weight of the engine, that shouldn't be too much of a problem. But I would add:

1) If you replace the belt, buy a proper FIAT kit which includes all the pulleys and tensioners. And change the auxiliary belt and alternator belt too.

2) If you don't have the proper cam locking tool, my advice would be to think about leaving it to the professionals. There have been so many cases on this forum of people having issues due to wrongly set timing when belts are changed, it's just not worth the risk in my humble opinion.

I've found a FIAT dealer can be competitivley priced. And you get a two-year warranty on the repair.

Just a thought...

The spare one I have was already out of the donor car when I bought it.

Reason I never fitted it in my car was because it was too much hassle taking out the A, B, C and D pillar trims.

Thank's least I know it wasn't just me then! If anybody has any advice on how best to remove the pillar trim's that would be appreciated. :)

Have been busy elsewhere though, gave the Stilo an Oil + Filter change, Air Filter and Pollen Filter.

Air and Pollen Filters were certainly overdue, as they were the original Fiat Items. Pollen filter just fell to pieces when I removed it.

Also thought I'd inspect the Cambelt too while I was there, yep original 14 year old Fiat Cambelt too. :eek:

So hopefully I can get it to a garage asap to do the Belt, as they no way I'm leaving that to chance.

Attachments

• IMG_20200214_151950 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200214_151950 (1).jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200214_151943 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200214_151943 (1).jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20200419_153907.jpg
    IMG_20200419_153907.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20200419_153818.jpg
    IMG_20200419_153818.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I'm curious to know how you ascertained it was a 14 year old original ?

Well I'll do my best to explain why I believe this to be correct. Given all I know about my Stilo and it's history.

As previously mentioned, my Stilo despite it's hard life has only covered 49,000 Miles from new. Which I'm pretty certain from the way it drives etc to be genuine.

Also bear in mind, that the Cambelt service schedule is at 72,000 miles or every 5 years according to the Fiat handbook.

I know that my car was involved in a accident to the nearside, at about 3 years old after it's 1st Mot in Aug 2009 at 27,481 miles. When a Insurance Company decided to class it as a write off. So then it stayed off the road somewhere for almost 6 years. Until it was sold on and repaired, then Mot'd again in July 2015 at 32,165 miles and 9 years old.

Which you can also see by viewing the gap in the Mot history online, at the GOV.UK website.

So the car wouldn't have had it's Cambelt changed at the 5 years interval, as it was then still sat off the road and hadn't yet reached 72,000 either.

An when the car did get finally repaired, it was done the cheapest way possible and poorly. The panels have all been badly painted with run's etc and the nearside door's have a comedy level of bad filler repairs. [ Hence me buying a used pair of Doors. ]

If there happy to bodge the bodywork so blatantly. I'd say that them changing the Cambelt for a genuine Fiat item. On a 9 year old car that's a previous write off, with a lowish resale value. Would have also been highly unlikely at the time.

I know after it was repaired, it was then sold to the last keeper in 2015 till last year. When I purchased it.

The Trader who I brought the car from, said he also personally knew the previous owner. Which he said had traded in the Stilo for a Van he was selling.

When I asked him about the car and it's history, including the cambelt. He told me that the previous owner hadn't bothered changing it. An given the state of the car when I first brought it. I'm inclined to believe him.

Hence me checking the belt the other week, as the car has mostly just sat since me buying it until now. An as I want to press the Stilo into daily use once this situation over. I want to make sure that the servicing is up to date.

If you enlarge the pictures on my last post of the Cambelt. You can also see that the belts are clearly genuine Fiat part's. With the part numbers and logo's still visable.

So coupled with the fact I have no service records of the cambelt being changed. The length of time the car sat off the road and the poor workmanship on previous repairs/ neglect etc. Then after actually checking the belt myself. Which upon close inspection has also gone hard with fine cracking with age. Plus there is the original paint marks from the factory that are still in line on all the covers etc. I'm pretty certain that nobody has bothered changing it.

I've decided to hopefully have a full Cambelt and Water pump replacement fitted next week, for piece of mind. An I'm also having the Alternator Belt and Aircon Belt changed too.

I'll ask for the old Belts back if anyone want's to see them.:)

Last edited:
Interesting history.

However, it must have had quite a smack to write it off at 3 years old, and as you say it's been bodge repaired, are you sure that it is 'straight' ?.

Perhaps when you put it in for the Belt to be changed you could ask for a 4 wheel alignment check, I certainly would :)

I'm waiting the arrival of a pair of Track Rod ends.

Okay figure this, I put it in for an MoT with the Crystal Clear Instruction that if it passes then please track it, or if it fails on something other than steering/front suspension, then please track it.

I pick it up, they charge me for tracking, and on the MoT sheet under 'advisories' it says "Track rod end ball joint has slight play Nearside front". W.T.F. is it me or am I dealing with a bunch of ***ts :bang:.

So we agreed that I'll buy and fit a new pair of ends, and they will re-track it for free :D.

So now the furore is dying down and my local garage has reopened, I thought I'd get the ends on and get it re-tracked before they 'forgot' they hadn't done it properly and owed me a free one.

Not sure how they managed to do it (track it) as the offside was extremely stiff/rusted and need heat to get it off. The near side was completely rusted on and I had to cut the old end off. Both were marked TRW so possibly were originals and not moved for a number of years.

With the new ends on and retracked it now steers superbly :).

Would have been a full success story, but I noticed when I got back home that the hand wheel on the Drivers seat reclining had come off and was missing :(, okay it could have come off at any time, but I didn't notice it before and have my suspicions :mad:

Attachments

• IMG_1335.JPG
    IMG_1335.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1336.JPG
    IMG_1336.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1339.JPG
    IMG_1339.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1340.JPG
    IMG_1340.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 22
Yeah that's an interesting car. Definitely would have the wheels aligned as MaxCaddy says.

Reactions: GLC
Thought I'd update on my car. Still have some time off so I'm getting the cambelt + water pump changed. Also the alternator belt. Then I've got an abarth cluster on the way to fit and a cruise control stalk that I would like to fit as well. My car doesn't have the pre-wired connector underneath the steering wheel, so have to go directly to the ECU. Also replacing my rear exhaust box, engine oil and all filters.

I've been searching through the classifieds to pass time recently and a lot of Stilo Multiwagons have come up for sale. Thinking about getting a diesel estate as a second car for long trips and camping. How's the boot space? Any tips on what diesel engine variants to avoid and which to look out for? Of course the diesel particulate filter on some of the newer cars is something I'm definitely avoiding. I've been told the 1.9 JTD 85kw is the best for servicing and economy. Thoughts from the Multiwagon owners out there?

Last edited:
Reactions: GLC
Interesting history.

However, it must have had quite a smack to write it off at 3 years old, and as you say it's been bodge repaired, are you sure that it is 'straight' ?.

Perhaps when you put it in for the Belt to be changed you could ask for a 4 wheel alignment check, I certainly would :)

Thank's, It was mostly just superficial damage down the nearside panels which was bodged. The only mechanical damage was to the nearside front suspension leg. Which has been replaced.

There was no damage to the inner wing or chassis etc, that I could find when I first viewed it. An as the car was sub £300 with a long Mot, I was happy to take the chance.

I did ask the garage though to check when it went in for the cambelt and they said it was all fine.

It certainly seam's to drive and corner like a Fiat should. :D

So ended up having a full cambelt kit with water pump + antifreeze. Along with the alternator and aircon belt replaced. Wasn't the cheapest job admittedly, but I won't risk leaving something like that to chance. As it doesn't matter if it's a £300 or a £30,000 car. If the belt snaps your still screwed!

They left me the old parts in the Boot when I collected it Friday. Glad I didn't leave it any longer after looking at them again. As not only were the belts in a poor state, the automatic tensioner was also noisy when spun too.

While the garage had the Stilo. I had them replace the Indicator/ Wiper stalk with a used one. As it wouldn't stay on when Indicating Right unless I held it in place. I didn't have the right tools available for the job at the minute anyway, plus I would have had to have them reset the airbag light anyway. So least that's another job done.

Next job is possibly looking at replacing the nearside door with the secondhand one's I have. Hoping to just do a straight swap. Anybody got any advice on tackling it?

Thought I'd update on my car. Still have some time off so I'm getting the cambelt + water pump changed. Also the alternator belt. Then I've got an abarth cluster on the way to fit and a cruise control stalk that I would like to fit as well. My car doesn't have the pre-wired connector underneath the steering wheel, so have to go directly to the ECU. Also replacing my rear exhaust box, engine oil and all filters.

I've been searching through the classifieds to pass time recently and a lot of Stilo Multiwagons have come up for sale. Thinking about getting a diesel estate as a second car for long trips and camping. How's the boot space? Any tips on what diesel engine variants to avoid and which to look out for? Of course the diesel particulate filter on some of the newer cars is something I'm definitely avoiding. I've been told the 1.9 JTD 85kw is the best for servicing and economy. Thoughts from the Multiwagon owners out there?

I can't offer much advice, as I still new to Multiwagen ownership. Although it certainly seams to have more boot space inside than the same age MK4 Golf estate. Which we also have in the family.

A quick check on google for the Stilo Boot dimensions reckons;

Trunk (boot) space - maximum 1480 l 52.27 cu. ft.

I haven't driven a JTD version, but I have driven a 2005 Doblo MPV. Which has the 120 bhp 1.9 JTD engine.

It certainly seamed to have plenty of torque for dealing with hills or when overtaking. An that's with 3 passengers and a boot full of luggage.

Only issue it's had in 5 years was a crankshaft position senor failure. Otherwise it's only ever needed general maintenance.

Estate cars tend to get used harder than hatchback's. So check the rear shock absorbers aren't leaking and also that the clutch bite is ok.

An if your viewing a car with a Tow Bar. Then ask if they have been towing a caravan or trailer behind it on a regular basis. As that can put a lot of strain on the Engine + Gearbox etc too.

... ended up having a full cambelt kit with water pump + antifreeze. Along with the alternator and aircon belt replaced. Wasn't the cheapest job ... doesn't matter if it's a £300 or a £30,000 car. If the belt snaps your still screwed!

Absolutely, but I know that some folk do get carried away with the 'love' of their car, and to spend say £500+(?) on a car worth £300 isn't good economics :eek:

While the garage had the Stilo. I had them replace the Indicator/ Wiper stalk with a used one. As it wouldn't stay on when Indicating Right unless I held it in place.

Okay a bit late now, but was it the stalk itself or the housing that was the issue ?. For example I found that mine did exactly the same but on close investigation the stalk wasn't quite centred in the housing aperture, and it was the housing's rubber dust grommet/cover that was springing the indicator back off. With some careful pruning with a sharp blade I trimmed the rubber so it still kept the dust out, but didn't force the indicator off

Absolutely, but I know that some folk do get carried away with the 'love' of their car, and to spend say £500+(?) on a car worth £300 isn't good economics :eek:

Okay a bit late now, but was it the stalk itself or the housing that was the issue ?. For example I found that mine did exactly the same but on close investigation the stalk wasn't quite centred in the housing aperture, and it was the housing's rubber dust grommet/cover that was springing the indicator back off. With some careful pruning with a sharp blade I trimmed the rubber so it still kept the dust out, but didn't force the indicator off

True it's easy to get carried away and end up having a expensive car with little resale value. Although if someone happy to do so, because they have a genuine love or want to persevere a vehicle. Then I'm all for it. :)

Personally the way I look at it is. If a car is fundamentally sound, then say spending £300 to get the cambelt changed or through another Mot. Then it's worth doing if it's going to potentially, give you another 12 months+ motoring.

An the other consideration is, say I sell a existing car. Then I go out and buy myself another car for sub £1,000. I'll have then the added risk of getting a car that's possibly in worse condition, with more problem's / expense etc.

You just have to weigh up the pro's and cons from your own personal situation, when running a car and act accordingly.

Thank's for the info about the Indicator Stalk. Mine just wouldn't click in place, when moving the Stalk upwards for the right indicator. The garage did say the old stalk was broken though, as it was floppy once it was removed. I'm guessing someone forced it?

Back