General Purchasing a 500, Questions...

Currently reading:
General Purchasing a 500, Questions...

ru7hl355

Hi everyone,
this is my first post on here so please be gentle :p

I'm about to purchase a 500 Lounge, but i have a few questions. if anyone could help that would amazing.

I'm liking the look of the light blue, but i was told that if i went for that colour it would have white accents and steering wheel, even if i chose black seats. is this correct?

Also what options should i get on top of the Standard lounge spec.

if anyone has any pictures of there blue 500 i wouldn't mind having a look at what you guys have done to them styling ways also.

thanks in advance!

Jamie

The lounge comes with black steering wheel and gear stick etc. body coloured dash.
As for extras bi-xenon headlights are a good option for excellent visibility but are quite pricey if your not overly bothered.
Side stripe with 500 logo looks good. Parking sensors if you feel you would need them but its all down to what you like and need really, if you go on the fiat website you can configure your own and pick out things you would want, change things up a bit until you find a look you like. Hope this helps. Have fun.

You can choose black or ivory ambience with Volare blue on Lounge model. Dash cover will be body colour.

The lounge comes with black steering wheel and gear stick etc.

This is incorrect. On the lounge you can choose either ivory or black for the wheel and gear stick etc.

Popular upgrades are the Interscope hi-fi for audiophiles, automatic climate control for control freaks, parking sensors for the visually challenged, Zenon lights for the doggers and leather seats for the fetishists.

In truth it is really up to you. None of the extras are essential and a standard Lounge is very nice.

One I would argue for is leather if you have kids or a dog as the seats are easy to get dirty.

Do NOT let the dealer sell you GAP insurance or paint protection. The former you can get for much much less off the web, the latter is a waste of your money.

Hi everyone,
this is my first post on here so please be gentle :p

I'm about to purchase a 500 Lounge, but i have a few questions. if anyone could help that would amazing.

I'm liking the look of the light blue, but i was told that if i went for that colour it would have white accents and steering wheel, even if i chose black seats. is this correct?

Also what options should i get on top of the Standard lounge spec.

if anyone has any pictures of there blue 500 i wouldn't mind having a look at what you guys have done to them styling ways also.

thanks in advance!

Jamie

Just looked at the configurator and PJ is correct in that the white ambiance is definitely there with the Lounge model. Personally I would opt for the white ambiance unless you were getting red leather (e.g. on Bossa Nova White - then I would opt for Black)

The options I would get are the following...

Port for the Tom Tom £50 - you might need it - not something I would chance retrofitting.
Climate Control £270. On a fixed glass roof - definitely YES. Can be a hot house in the summer and the CC is good for mpg.
16 inch multispokes £180. Look great, relatively easy to refurbish and to hell with the ride & the mpg.
Side rubbing strip with the 500 logo. Not my cup of tea but at £110 cheaper to fit at the start because of the spray work.
Black chequered seats - better quality than the Pop seats but easily get dirty. Tan leather for the Volare Blue and they have a new design that should not sag. Only leather colour IMHO that goes with the Volare Blue. At one point it was not possible to get the TAN so it was re-introduced.

Interscope & Memory seat - end up losing the passenger seat storage - handy for the sat nav since no glovebox or other bits that you want no one to know about.
Tints - you don't need them since the glass is already tinted and it darkens the inside.
Gucci wheels are another option if you change colour or the hard to refurbish 5o-spoke wheels for a more sporty look.
Leather knob at €75 looks good but I refer the standard round knob.

Last edited:
I would suggest that the dealer has a volare blue 500 in stock with black ambiance, which is why they are telling you porkys, so they can move some 'old' stock. They will let you order Ivory if you push them ;) . My dealer didn't want me to order a purple one with interscope as it had to be factory ordered, that way at least I can be assured it hasn't been standing in a field or dock somewhere.

As has been said, the Lounge spec will satisfy most people but there are one or two things that are 'nice to have'.

On my Parents 500 Lounge, we added the following:

Side Rubbing Strip with 500 badge - breaks up the sides a bit and adds some protection to the car.
Front Fog Lights - we've not really needed them much as the headlights are better than we thought they'd be.
Leather Gear Knob - this matches the colour of the steering wheel and air vents, ie ivory or black. Whereas the standard gear knob is only black and does look a bit out of place with the ivory interior.
Passenger Seat with Memory - should be standard fit, but in hindsight we wouldn't have bothered as the seat mechanism is still a bit awkward and we've lost the under-seat storage area because of it.
15" 'Sporty' Alloy Wheels - not essential as the Lounge has 15" Multispoke Alloys as standard, but we felt the sporty design looked a bit nicer and would be easier to clean.

I think if I was ordering for myself I'd drop the front fog lights and passenger seat memory and add Interscope HiFi and Leather instead. The standard stereo and cloth are perfectly adequate, but the upgrades do seem to be worth the extra, especially now that Fiat have revised the leather design to prevent premature wear. I'd also add the TomTom port.

If ordering a TwinAir Lounge, you will get Climate Control included in the price I believe (we did).

Thanks very much for all your input. the leather seats and bump strips sound like good options as i have 2 young children and we all know what kids do to cars...

I'm looking for black ambiance for the interior so i will stand firm when placing my order, i thought it was a bit strange with being able to choose pretty much anything else that i had to have an ivory steering wheel....

Thanks very much for all your input. the leather seats and bump strips sound like good options as i have 2 young children and we all know what kids do to cars...

I'm looking for black ambiance for the interior so i will stand firm when placing my order, i thought it was a bit strange with being able to choose pretty much anything else that i had to have an ivory steering wheel....

Would suggest looking at the leather before deciding on a colour. If you want the Volare blue I'm not too sure how the black ambiance would look with the tan. If on the other hand you like red leather you might end up changing the exterior colour. My OH has black leather on a alfa red Mito but it's a charcoal and really nice. My recollection of the black in the 500 didn't do it for me. Sports seats on the 500S model are really good but there are only leatherette but are more kiddy proof than the black chequered seats in the lounge.

Is there are reason why you want black ambiance in preference to white ?

Popular upgrades are the Interscope hi-fi for audiophiles, automatic climate control for control freaks, parking sensors for the visually challenged, Zenon lights for the doggers

Do NOT let the dealer sell you GAP insurance or paint protection. The former you can get for much much less off the web, the latter is a waste of your money.

The Popular Upgrades that RobinPJ mentions are indeed 'popular' .. We opted for all of them on the wife's new 500 S.. :D and Front Fogs, just for cosmetic reasons as certainly not Needed with Xenons.. And we upgraded the alloys to 16" .... :)
I'm still chucklin at the names given to the options :D

Btw, re GAP, again well said by Robin.... Even our salesman at the Stealership told us to buy online

Last edited:
Well that's the 500 ordered, but i didn't get the lounge in the end i got the 500s :D I went for 16"s and sunroof as extras also. Estimated delivery date of 1st September which is a bit of a wait but its a 2nd car so it will be worth it.(y)

Well that's the 500 ordered, but i didn't get the lounge in the end i got the 500s :D I went for 16"s and sunroof as extras also. Estimated delivery date of 1st September which is a bit of a wait but its a 2nd car so it will be worth it.(y)

I'd question that as the factory shuts for the entire month of August... I ordered my 500c S on 9th April... Checked with the dealership and its still not at status 16 (built) although it should be built any day now...

As Jamesmini says... August is Closed.... So Sept 1st, even now near 3 months / 12 week's away - may be optimistic :rolleyes:

The garage i bought it from had an order in for 10 of them already, one with the spec i requested and is currently at stage 10, so i have been assigned one of those. But i was told they have been like that for a while so are due to move along soon. hopefully it isn't much longer than the specified date:eek:

The garage i bought it from had an order in for 10 of them already, one with the spec i requested and is currently at stage 10, so i have been assigned one of those. But i was told they have been like that for a while so are due to move along soon. hopefully it isn't much longer than the specified date:eek:

That's good news :)

Back