General Punto Steering and Suspension problems

Currently reading:
General Punto Steering and Suspension problems

Hi all

20O2 1.2V punto is having a few problems at the moment , please bear with me to explain

first of all the car sounds a bit like a train , a very dull humming? sound when moving..

the second is that the car feels really unstable at random times , at high and low speeds the car feels like it is being pushed by the wind , lose control for a second or two and it's back to normal. not all over the road , more like through the steering wheel ( sorry it's hard to explain)

the tyres are all in good shape ,and all pumped up.

planning on looking into in tomorrow but a few ideas tonight would be appreciated.

cheers

Hi all

20O2 1.2V punto is having a few problems at the moment , please bear with me to explain

first of all the car sounds a bit like a train , a very dull humming? sound when moving..

the second is that the car feels really unstable at random times , at high and low speeds the car feels like it is being pushed by the wind , lose control for a second or two and it's back to normal. not all over the road , more like through the steering wheel ( sorry it's hard to explain)

the tyres are all in good shape ,and all pumped up.

planning on looking into in tomorrow but a few ideas tonight would be appreciated.

cheers

The humming - if it is still there with the clutch in, it may well be a wheel bearing - tends to be fairly constant, all the time, doesnt vary with load, only slight variation with speed if not too badly worn. Front bearings tend to change note on cornering and steering movement, rears dont. Rears can be tested by jacking the car up and spinning the wheels feeling for any roughness etc.

The steering, check the tracking - it could be 'white-lining' or camber following. Often occurs if the tracking is knocked out a bit.
It 'could be' the EPS as well (it would be the torque / position sensor).
I would suspect tracking first though.
Also jack the front up and check for no play in the suspension joints, ball joints, track rod ends, wheels etc - give everything a good going over.

(edit - sorry Maggers, overlapped your post there!)

Last edited:
Watch my video, about 25 seconds in it shows knackered lower arm ball joints moving, when they can move like that it means any sideways force on the car can change the whole steering geometry and lead to unusual steering characteristics.

[ame]http://youtu.be/J6isUOoi3D0[/ame]

As maggers points out rumbling is likely a wheel bearing it's just a case of tracking down which one. Rears are very easy to replace, fronts best left to a garage

Back