General Punto randomly shuts off when driving, have to restart.

Currently reading:
General Punto randomly shuts off when driving, have to restart.

Hi does anyone else have this problem, or know what causes it?

In the past couple of months, my punto 1.2 mk2 (2001 Y) has just randomly shut off about 4 times.

Each time this has happened, I have been in a stationary queue of traffic. Everything sounds normal then it just turns off with no warning, as if someone had turned the key. All the electrics go out, plus the engine, then the electrics come back on, but the engine stays off.

Upon restarting it, it struggles a lot, until finally starting then it seems normal again.

:confused:

Thanks

(a) Earth cable to chassis.
(b) Poor contact on battery terminals.
(c) Internal short within the battery.

Last edited:
Hi does anyone else have this problem, or know what causes it?

In the past couple of months, my punto 1.2 mk2 (2001 Y) has just randomly shut off about 4 times.

Each time this has happened, I have been in a stationary queue of traffic. Everything sounds normal then it just turns off with no warning, as if someone had turned the key. All the electrics go out, plus the engine, then the electrics come back on, but the engine stays off.

Upon restarting it, it struggles a lot, until finally starting then it seems normal again.

:confused:

Thanks
had the same thing happen to me it was the posative terminal on the battery had come lose so check them :)

I keep getting this problem. I’ve just noticed that it almost always happens when turning right. Just after starting from the lights with my right blinker on it will happen just after. I’m waiting for a new fuel pump but now I just realised the right blinker or turn might be connected to the issue. I had a lot of things fixed but this is the last issue but the mechanic couldn’t find the part and I asked to get my car back till he finds it. I had a lot of other things fixed. I had a power issue that was fixed among other things. My car is feeling great again has power but this issue is one of last thing I need to fix.

I keep getting this problem. I’ve just noticed that it almost always happens when turning right. Just after starting from the lights with my right blinker on it will happen just after. I’m waiting for a new fuel pump but now I just realised the right blinker or turn might be connected to the issue. I had a lot of things fixed but this is the last issue but the mechanic couldn’t find the part and I asked to get my car back till he finds it. I had a lot of other things fixed. I had a power issue that was fixed among other things. My car is feeling great again has power but this issue is one of last thing I need to fix.
Something you might want to check. There is an Earth bolt just lower than the raised part of carpet that reaches up to the dash board on the right hand side. That bolt is very near the right hand side indicator on the outer wing. The petrol pump earth goes to that bolt via the crash isolation switch. And then there is an earth wire from that bolt to just under the battery where there is a collection of earths on the earth that goes to the gearbox.

I worked out what it was, it only happed on a empty tank. Obviously the fuel moved away from the pump and it would die. I took my can on empty to the mechanic I forgot to fill it up that morning. Since filling it up after the mechanic fixed all my other issues it no longer happens. I just have to keep it fuelled up. Maybe the fuel gauge isnt as accurate and it's emptier than it says. The mechanic thought i might need a new fuel pump as it was giving a engine light after the issue but since I filled it up it's never had a issue and no engine lights. Thanks for the help guys. My car is running like a dream compared to how It was before the mechanics. The right turn that I thought was triggering it was because all those turns where on a slight incline when getting innersia so the fuel would pool to the back left as I accelerated.

Back