Technical Punto - poss timing belt

Currently reading:
Technical Punto - poss timing belt

oscar52

I know there are many threads on here, but some appear quite old and I am not entirely sure of my theory.

Fan belt snapped and the engine cut out and wont start - turns over fine and there is a spark and fuel coming in.

Removed the cam cover and found a shread of the fan belt around / near to one of the pullleys - so I think the cam belt has jumped.

I have looked around the net (and here) and have already located the top pulley mark - I thought it had to go top dead centre - but appears needs to be "pointed" towards the dipstick, about 45 degrees or so counter clockwise. (photo on a thread on here)

My problem is however, that I have no markings on the cam belt - no lines etc. Would it just be easier just to get a new belt in order to time it or is it possible without? Model is the 60sx so know its a non interference engine.

Thanks in advance.

There is not normally marks on the cambelt (I dont think), they are not required anyway.
Set the camshaft sprocket notch to align with the back casting.
Using a mirror an torch examine inside of hole in top of clutch bellhousing.
Align arrow to zero degrees, fit new belt on sprockets, check you have got it right.
Dont even think of trying to line up using the bottom pulley, it invariably gets it wrong.
Dont even think of resetting the old belt, its had it anyway.
Tony.

I know there are many threads on here, but some appear quite old and I am not entirely sure of my theory.

Fan belt snapped and the engine cut out and wont start - turns over fine and there is a spark and fuel coming in.

Removed the cam cover and found a shread of the fan belt around / near to one of the pullleys - so I think the cam belt has jumped.

I have looked around the net (and here) and have already located the top pulley mark - I thought it had to go top dead centre - but appears needs to be "pointed" towards the dipstick, about 45 degrees or so counter clockwise. (photo on a thread on here)

My problem is however, that I have no markings on the cam belt - no lines etc. Would it just be easier just to get a new belt in order to time it or is it possible without? Model is the 60sx so know its a non interference engine.

Thanks in advance.

There is not normally marks on the cambelt (I dont think), they are not required anyway.
Set the camshaft sprocket notch to align with the back casting.
Using a mirror an torch examine inside of hole in top of clutch bellhousing.
Align arrow to zero degrees, fit new belt on sprockets, check you have got it right.
Dont even think of trying to line up using the bottom pulley, it invariably gets it wrong.
Dont even think of resetting the old belt, its had it anyway.
Tony.

New cambelts / timing belts do come with timing lines on them however these are just guidance and not always accurate.

On the punto engine you can line up the top cam pulley with a timing mark on the cylinder head (might be the cam cover, it was a while since i did this:p)
It's a notch in the metal of the engine cover which lines up with an other mark on the top pulley wheel.

Then on the bottom pulley there is another timing mark which will line up with a notch in the engine block. Both marks on the engine are towards the rear of the car, with the pulleys on the right of the timing marks.

If this makes sense then you will be able to to check if your timing belt is in the correct posistion (y)

You will need to remove the timing belt cover and the access hatch in the front right wheel arch... And the alternator belt to see the timing markings(y)

Hope this helps(y)
I'm sure if you search google or the guides you'll find pictures of these timing marks:)

I agree with reddybelt; use the flywheel marks visible throught the clutch housing; easier and more accurate; make sure you replace the water pump and tensioner pulley; do not overtighten the belt; getting the tension right is tricky; adjust so you can twist the belt 90 degrees..
some non-fiat engines have a spring loaded tensioner that makes life easier...

I agree with reddybelt; use the flywheel marks visible throught the clutch housing; easier and more accurate; make sure you replace the water pump and tensioner pulley; do not overtighten the belt; getting the tension right is tricky; adjust so you can twist the belt 90 degrees..
some non-fiat engines have a spring loaded tensioner that makes life easier...

the 16v fiat's have a sprung tensioner - I prefer the 8v eccentric ones, when you've locked it = it's locked,
I'm not putting too much faith in the spring mechanism going the distance..
AND it's a non-interference engine..not too many of those around..!!,

There is a good cam-belt guide in the Cinq section ( same 8v motor),
I've never had a problem with the 8v marks , but the flywheel / clutch marks sound like a good start,
Charlie

and after doing all that and it still does not start maybe crankshaft pick up sensor damaged from belt,that wire runs up to top of tb cover,when you replace the tb kit and pump we usually etch mileage on the top of tb cover,its permanent and visible,not tipex or stickers as both vanish.(y)

True that you don't need mark on the belt. Happened to me before. I've aligned the camshaft mark with the mark on the cam cover (small notch) thats about 90 degrees to the left) and the crankshaft mark on the crankcase (another small notch, that's about 45 degrees) to the left. The engine went chug-chug with misfires.

After a few check, found out that the bottom pulley (lowest pulley) that looks like a flywheel (I'm not sure about the name) with 3 screws attached needs to be aligned too! You will see that there is a small dot on the flywheel that need to align with dot on the pulley to synchronize with the pick-up sensor. :idea:

After refit, the engine started with just a crank!

Good Luck!

Luqluq

Back