Technical Punto Mk2 engine trouble

Currently reading:
Technical Punto Mk2 engine trouble

MrGreen

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here.

Being getting a tapping noise from my engine, and basically I've been told it will probably be cheaper to replace the whole engine than to bother fixing it.

My engine is a Mk2 (2002).

Do I have to replace it with the exact same engine, or would a newer engine such as a 2003-2006 Mk2b engine fit just as well?

Many Thanks

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here.

Being getting a tapping noise from my engine, and basically I've been told it will probably be cheaper to replace the whole engine than to bother fixing it.

My engine is a Mk2 (2002).

Do I have to replace it with the exact same engine, or would a newer engine such as a 2003-2006 Mk2b engine fit just as well?

Many Thanks

Whats actually tapping - a worn bucket and shim? or a broken piston ring?
Sounds like somebody's not really diagnosed the issue here....

as for engines
I believe 2002 - Had the older emissions setup, big obvious pointers are 2 lambda sesnors (pre and post cat) and a cam sensor on the Rocker cover feature on the later engines

Eitherway, as long as you swap the engine looms and sensors, sure the cam sensor wont be fitted, but it wont affect the engine
i believe if you swap the Cam cover and Timing belt covers back over, it'd be exactly the same as your older emissions engine :)

Ziggy

This is from his other topic - relating to his issues

Hi, I've been told I've only been firing on 3 cylinders. There is a tapping noise from the engine, and oil coming from the exhaust.

Is it cheaper to fix, or just swap the engine?

Also, must it be a like for like engine? It's a 2002 Mk2.

Thanks

If your firing on 3 cylinders, i take it he's carried out a compression test to ensure its a mechanical failure within the engine (piston ring or valve failure)

If the engines got compression issues - i'd drop another unit in myself
Why?
There are that many punto' engines around, its worth while fitting a good lump, vs fixing a lengthy process of a badly damaged one (assuming piston ring failure and bores are scored)

Ziggy

Hi, I've been told piston ring. There is loss of power and oil coming from exhaust. Looks like oil leaking from engine too.

Was thinking a swap cheaper than a fix.

Was wondering if I had to put in an exact like for like engine.

Thanks

Thanks. I think I will go for the swap. I have a feeling it will cost more to fix.

well I would fix it, how many miles on clock repair will cost what £280 including new HG water pump and timing belt, replacement probably more only for HG to fail in a couple of months, like Ziggy says get a definite diagnosis first.

Last edited:
Whilst replacing the engine, it is important to diagnose why the original failed. Broken piston rings, if that is what it is, are rare failures. There is usually a cause.
e.g. If the engine has been running hot, then you need to ensure the cause is fixed, or your 'new' engine will go the same way quite soon.

Thanks for the replys. I could get a mechanic to put it on a computer for £20. But I've seen a tested engine I could buy for £80 which has only 40+k miles on it, and a good mechanic friend who said he'd fit it for a few quid. My engine btw has 70k miles on it. Just thinking a repair might cost more than to replace at this price. I'm guessing from what I've read that it's not as simple as bolt it in and away we go?

Back