General Punto JTD Nightmares!!! HELP!!!

Currently reading:
General Punto JTD Nightmares!!! HELP!!!

mintys24-7

Hi all,

Have a major problem with my fiat MK2 Punto 1.9 JTD HLX 2000.

The problem is that it will start fine, then it will die after about 5 miles, and just lose all power, cant seem to work out why. What will happen next is that i will not be able to power it up as everytime i try the "Electronic injection failure" light will illuminate on the dash and it will turn over but won't start.
Then wait about 10 minutes and it will start and run perfectly and the electronic injection light will turn off after a few seconds of it running.

Then again after about 5 miles it will die again and the process will repeat itself!

Had the AA out to help me, got it working by resetting the RPM sensor, then it died again and tried to do it again and it didn't work and he had to tow me home! Though he checked the voltage to the injection system when trying to restart it after it had died and there was strangely no power at all to it.

Only really seems to happen once the car has warmed up though any ideas?
Both the AA man and the mechanic cannot work out what it is. The garage mainly can't as whenever they try and make it die it doesn't!!

Any help is gratefully appriciated!! (PS have checked everything in the fusebox and nothing is wrong there!)

Feel like I'm banging my head against a wall!!

how can you tell that its that? is there any way of testing it to make sure its that instead of changing it blindly?

Thanks, will tell the garage to go ahead and change it and hopefully that will do it.
Thanks for the post of the guide, problem is i don't have anything to jack the car up with properly so will have to leave it to them even though it does look quite simple :).

Will post on here as to what happens!

Already checked there but problem is they don't seem to do the 1.9 JTD version, not sure if the 1.2 versions are the same? Some parts are some are not!

Its on the second page of the fuel and engine management / ssensors, part number S4P2837 its £20.56 plus vat. Dead easy to fit.

Alan

there is alot of threads reguarding this fault, do a search.
they all have the same symptoms and the same cure

Thanks had it changed and it seems fine now, though I have noticed oil under the car :S :confused: could that be that due to the sensor was not fitted properly as it has only started happening since then?

Did you make sure the little rubber "o"ring was around it? It wouldnt cause lots to leak, but its possible for a few drips to come out.

Alan

Back