Technical punto hgt

Currently reading:
Technical punto hgt

ihearvoices

hello, can anyone help we have a 2000 model punto hgt and is a pain to get into any gears, is this normal on these cars. thanks

ihearvoices said:
hello, can anyone help we have a 2000 model punto hgt and is a pain to get into any gears, is this normal on these cars. thanks
u will think im messin but overfill yor brake fluid and pump your clutch till it gets stiffer it could have air in it so u might have to bleed it

paw said:
u will think im messin but overfill yor brake fluid and pump your clutch till it gets stiffer it could have air in it so u might have to bleed it
hydrolic clutch so when u overfill ur brakes the fluild flows into the clutch get brake and clutch fluid

ihearvoices said:
Try lubricating the gear linkage as it sometimes gets sticky(normally happens when the weather gets damp), also try a bit of lubrication on the clutch lever on the gearbox by the clutch slave cylinder (nicely located under the air intake assembly!).
If you bleed the clutch you'll probably have more success using a pressure bleed kit(like "Eezibleed") that forces the clutch/brake fluid through the system since pressing the pedal may not work if there is a pressure valve in the clutch system as these are designed to stop you exerting to much pressure on the clutch.

Apologies in advance if I've confused you.

dazz666 said:
How do you do this? Where are the gear linkages? Can i get to them by removing the gear stick cover?

Total noob here btw.

Thanks
Hi, the gear linkages you want are in the engine bay since the ones under the gear stick cover can only be access from under the car (unless somebody out there is a scuffed knuckle saver and knows of a way to do it) and the exhaust is in the way.
If you look in the engine bay down below the air intake hose and the passenger bulkhead you'll see two cables with rubber bellows fitted onto some levers this is the gear linkage part you need to lubricate, so any bit that moves just squirt some oil on it (I use lithium grease, others use WD40 or PTFE based oil)
https://www.fiatforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12947&stc=1&d=1143747798
gear link1.jpg
https://www.fiatforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12949&stc=1&d=1143747977
gear link3.jpg
with the clutch slave lever which is located a few inches in front of the gear linkage just squirt a little bit of oil round where it enters the clutch housing but not too much as could make your clutch slip if the excess oil entered the clutch housing.

https://www.fiatforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12950&stc=1&d=1143747977
clutch slave1.jpg

As for bleeding the clutch it may be better to leave that for when you feel you are more adept at using a spanner, as the clutch fluid is shared with the brakes and you don't want a brown pants moment when you go to brake and your foot sinks to the floor.

PS Hope I don't sound too patronising.
PPS just added a picture of your engine bay (nice cam cover detailing) to show where to look down to find the gear linkages etc.
https://www.fiatforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12952&stc=1&d=1143750158
dazzengine.JPG

Attachments

• gear link1.jpg
    gear link1.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 86
  • gear link2.jpg
    gear link2.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 28
  • gear link3.jpg
    gear link3.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 74
  • clutch slave1.jpg
    clutch slave1.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 76
  • dazzengine.JPG
    dazzengine.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Wow ace! Thanks very much(y) I have saved the webpage with pics etc. Will have a go at the weekend.

The reason i asked it because ive been having minor problems with 4th gear. Every now and then it wont select 4th but after a 5-10 mins and a little tlc it pops back in and appears fine for another month or two.

I have had it in the garage but alas it always works fine for them.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Back