Technical Punto cooling problem

Currently reading:
Technical Punto cooling problem

GaryRichards

Hi Folks,
;)My 1242cc petrol punto has recently developed a problem, the heater only runs hot when the engine is running at a reasonable speed, as soon as the revs drop the heater blows cold and after a while the engine temp light comes on. have changed thermostat and run fresh water through the system to clear any blockages, but still the same problem.

Have you checked for air bubbles in the sysytem?

Just a thought...

Later Daze,
Eric Flowers:D
1980 X1/9 "Celeste"

"Real men love hugging tight curves"[}:)]

Sounds like the water pump has lost a few blades or there is a blockage.
A blockage would decrease the flow of water around the system which is why running high revs would help.
If the pump has lost a few blades it won't be pumping efficiently and you'll get overheating.

Best thing to do is unbolt the water pump and have a look, get the haynes manual out.

:):)Have just found the bleed--- !!! plug on the radiator, thanks to Haynes, am now as warm as toast.
Having tested the old thermostat(its O.K.) I think my original problem was low water level causing an air lock.
Many thanks for all suggestions.

;)Some one suggested the head gasket may be on its way; Think they could be right,water keeps going down, a lot of bubbles in the rad and its only firing on three for 2 or 3mins after standing 24hrs. Ah well, will keep me occupied for a few hours.

make sure there isn't a leak in any of the hoses.

A month after I got my Sporting I noticed a minute hole in one of the heater hoses that had had some sort of tape put over it. I took it back to the garage under warranty and spent a month in a bog standard corsa ;) while they waited for the replacemnt hose to arrive from Fiat.

I think this may be a common complaint as the part wasn't available anywhere...eventually being shipped from Italy, after one that was supposed to arrive from Poland dissapeared!!!

My car was over heating really quickly as well...and running out of water at an astonishing rate! Check to see if you can see where water is spraying out of a hose.

It might not be this, but just thought I would pass onmy experience!

Drive it like you stole it!

Detach 2 rubber pipes that go to heater's radiator (near termostat).
You have to remove 2 clips for that - set new ones later.
Blow rediator with water under some pressure (a city waterpipe is fit).
Look at result, connect pipes, add coolant, remove possible air and enjoy with Africa.
I did it myself. It works.

Back