Technical Punto 1.7 TD – excessive fuel consumption

Currently reading:
Technical Punto 1.7 TD – excessive fuel consumption

isotron5

Hi, I’ve an M-Reg (1994) Punto 1.7 TD. I’m having problems with fuel consumption. On a 80 mile straight stretch of motorway… it consumes £10 worth of diesel. On a urban run, it costs me £20 per week, doing 7miles per day or so. Surely this is not normal?

I’ve replaced the Oil/Air filter, also installed new glow plugs. I’ve not noticed any improvement in fuel performance. Any ideas? Cheers… Keith

Last edited:
i have a L reg td sx and i thought mine was bad on fuel about £10 every 105 miles lol.
have you tried injector cleaner like redex or something that mite work also,or the engine might need tuning, also are your tyres fully inflated ?

Hi Mate,

Cheers for the reply.

Tyres are fine! As I check em every week. Thanks for the tip on Injector cleaner. The Engine can be sluggish at times, especially in 3rd gear. Does your diesel needle on the dashboard drop like a lead balloon when going round corners or up hills? It then decides to pop up again. :)

isotron5 said:
Hi, I’ve an M-Reg (1994) Punto 1.7 TD. I’m having problems with fuel consumption. On a 80 mile straight stretch of motorway… it consumes £10 worth of diesel. On a urban run, it costs me £20 per week, doing 7miles per day or so. Surely this is not normal?

I’ve replaced the Oil/Air filter, also installed new glow plugs. I’ve not noticed any improvement in fuel performance. Any ideas? Cheers… Keith

Thanks for cheering me up at least my HGT's fuel consumption doesn't seem quite so bad (eg. 35mpg mixed roads). I'm not a diesel lover so all I can suggest is trying some injector cleaner. Anyway hope you solve your fuel consumption soon and cheaply.

Fuel filter would be my first choice.

The glow plugs make naff-all difference to the performance when running, only when starting the car.

Assume you replaced the oil as well as the filter?

yeah i can have a quarter of a tank in and go round a bend and the fuel light comes on.
i think there is a float on the left handside of the fuel tank so if you turn left it looks like its fuller if you turn right it looks empty
i think anyway

:confused:

Hi,

I’ve replaced the Glow Plugs, both Fuel and Oil filters on my 1.7TD. I’ve used Injector cleaner to. I’ve not noticed and difference in fuel consumption fact I think its worse.

Could the injector’s be narked?

Cheers

As posted earlier, try putting some redex in it the next few times u fill up.

I have a petrol HGT which is heavy on petrol but i found the the Choke was sticking on and since it has been sorted, petrol consumption is better.

Back