Technical High fuel consumption

Currently reading:
Technical High fuel consumption

Dzso

Hi!
I have an mk1 75 elx from 1995. My tank was almost empty and I put 42l into my tank. Actually after 500km and it almost empty again. The o2 sensor is “new”. What can a try to change to solve this problem.
I had a head gasket problem and I have some problems with the cooling also, after she a little bit slower than usual.

Hi!
I have an mk1 75 elx from 1995. My tank was almost empty and I put 42l into my tank. Actually after 500km and it almost empty again. The o2 sensor is “new”. What can a try to change to solve this problem.
I had a head gasket problem and I have some problems with the cooling also, after she a little bit slower than usual.
I would make sure the engine is mechanically sound first:- good compression on each cylinder, no loss of water or overheating, no loss of engine oil etc. before changing anything else.

stuck open stat can cause excessive fuel consumption or a faulty coolant temperature sensor.. 2 easy things to check.
I agree with the things blu73 mentions, but I note you referred to a recent head gasket problem and other cooling issues plus poor performance, so make sure the engine is mechanically sound first.

I agree with the things blu73 mentions, but I note you referred to a recent head gasket problem and other cooling issues plus poor performance, so make sure the engine is mechanically sound first.
fair point, slower than usual could be the timings out a little, no reason it should feel any different to before, worth double checking

I bought my punto (1.1/55SX) last summer, right from the start I noticed difficulty going uphill, and high fuel consumption, eventually the previous owner had change head gasket, and the "mechanic" put the timing belt in wrong marks, by two teeth.
After the fix, and resetting the primitive "brain", the car take new breath.
Now i want to make sure that, the correct measurements given by Haynes in his book for 1.108cc, are
inlet 0.40+/-0.05 and Exhaust 0.50+/-0.05 it's correct? because i measured them, and I have differences in all of them, above 0.05+/-
happy new year

I bought my punto (1.1/55SX) last summer, right from the start I noticed difficulty going uphill, and high fuel consumption, eventually the previous owner had change head gasket, and the "mechanic" put the timing belt in wrong marks, by two teeth.
After the fix, and resetting the primitive "brain", the car take new breath.
Now i want to make sure that, the correct measurements given by Haynes in his book for 1.108cc, are
inlet 0.40+/-0.05 and Exhaust 0.50+/-0.05 it's correct? because i measured them, and I have differences in all of them, above 0.05+/-
happy new year
Have you got an engine code to see if my Auto Data has a listing.

IMG_0848.jpeg

No Sorry :(. My book doesn't go back that far. The 1108 cc as you can see is a different engine code altogether and the nearest is the 178B2.000 is the 1.4 engine.
Ideally the correct valve clearance is best, the main danger is when very tight valve clearance as it increases the chance of burnt out valves due to less time shut to get rid of the heat of the valve into the metal of the cylinder head it's self, which is why exhaust valves usually have wider clearance.
So in general if only a little bit wider than recommended it doesn't cause any harm.
With overhead cams as the valves and seat wear the clearance actually reduces, hence in the old days engineers were more concerned with the Jaguars of the day if they couldn't hear the valves tapping, a quiet engine usually meant it would need attention soon.:(

Attachments

• DSCF0648.JPG
    DSCF0648.JPG
    465.5 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF0649.JPG
    DSCF0649.JPG
    459.8 KB · Views: 33
Hello again
For the records, first put the timing belt in correct marks.
Making full service, (filter air, spark's, spark plug lead's, fuel filter, cleaner injector)
Check all vacum hoses
Checking with IAW ecu scan, (no problems)
Adjusting valve clearance (all had defference)
Now, the consumption is 7 litre/100 Khm in open road, and maxim, 10 litre in traffic, and small transportation, with cool engine

fiat punto mk1 (1999) 55sx 1.100cc

Back