Technical Punto 1.2 - wont rev past 2.5k \ running rich

Currently reading:
Technical Punto 1.2 - wont rev past 2.5k \ running rich

srefre

Hi everyone,

I've had a look around these forums, and found some very interesting answers to similar problems, but was unable to solve my issue.

It started off with the car being left to sit for about 3/4 weeks during the cold weather. Prior to this, everything was running fine. After this time, unsurprisingly, the battery had gone flat, and the car wouldn't start. I charged the battery, and then the car started fine, but the power steering light came on, and the steering was heavy. Having read about that here, I assumed the low battery charge was the culprit as the power steering power steering is electric.
I let the car run at a fast idle for a while to get the alternator charging the battery, and then stopped and started the car again, and the power steering issue cleared.

At this point, I thought all my problems were solved, unfortunately, I then discovered that the car would not rev past 2500rpm. When it hits this point, the revs just drop to idle and the engine warnign light flashes up and then goes out. If I quickly open the throttle the same thing happens.

I borrowed an OBD II reader from a friend, and the only error code was the pre-cat lambda sensor. However, after replacing this, I still have the same problem.

Looking at the output from the OBD II, when it hits the point cut off point, the lambda output is howing the mixture as too rich, where it stays for a couple of seconds and then returns to normal, prior to this, it is normal. Also the coil recharge time spikes for one coil and drops to 0 for the other coil at this moment, then returns to normal, however, it's not always the same coil that spikes or drops.
I'm not sure what is expected from the intake air pressure sensor, but as the throttle opens, the graph output drops. I don't know if this is normal, but it may give a clue?

I have no error codes, I looked at the throttle body and it's not too gummed up, and the butterfly valve moves freely.

Any thoughts on what I could look at next, or what the problem may be? I'm now at a loss.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replacement lambda was a Bosch.

What would I expect to see if I switch?

What's puzzling me if the lack of fault codes, and the fact that I've changed the lambda, unplugged various sensors, including the lambda and MAP, yet the symptoms are still exactly the same.

I got a spare crank sensor if you want mate...and its most likely ECU is messed...get them a lot, have to replac ECU for like £100 with a fresh one no immbolisier codes so its all good to plug and play...had a few do that tbh common fault...but try the cheaper options first! :)

I don't have a crank sensor, so might need to take up that offer, is there any quick and dirty test I can do? For example, if I unplug the crank sensor, will I get different results, or any readings to look for on diagnostics?

I was getting worried that it is ECU, hope not, as it's almost not worth bothering with that. Would be nice if I could test this somehow, before splashing out on a relatively expensive part.

So assuming it is ECU, where is the best place to get one from, without spending a fortune?

There seem to be a huge variance in price, from about £10 on ebay, to £200 from motor factors!

A search here should throw up a few places that will check your ECU for £40 or so.

But strange. You could check -- by substitution -- most of the sensors by visiting a scrappy.

Generally TDC sensor faults won't show directly on a code reader. But, although faults are known to cause a hard rev cut I've never seen this on a FIRE engine -- yet............

Back