panda 01.jpg

Panda Psychopanda - qu'est-ce que c'est?

Introduction

panda 01.jpgpanda 02.jpg
This is our 2004 1.2 Dynamic ('Psychopanda' after her number plate, not the way she's driven!), soon after we bought her in October 2018 at 92k miles, on the way back from Belgium with my girlfriend's otherworldly possessions (plus a bottle or twelve of the local tipple). Getting that lowrider style I've always wanted:)

It's such a fun and capable little car, I've quickly developed a real soft spot for it as it bounces and leans around the countryside! We got it for my girlfriend to learn to drive and took my Mk1 MX5 off the road. I guess I'm a small car person then:)

Most of my driving is on country lanes, and it's a hilarious thing to chuck about. I'd read they handled pretty well, but I didn't expect to be grinning quite so much when driving it! Being narrow helps on the lanes, yet I was surprised that it feels light and spacious inside, from the front seats anyway. Also surprised to learn that at 850kg it weighs less than my MX5.

It's taken me a little while to get it how I want it.

First was a new timing belt as, despite FSH, there was no record of it having been done, and I used this to drive the asking price down a bit.

I prefer to do my own servicing and, again despite FSH, the plugs, coolant and transmission fluid looked ancient. The car felt much better after the service, especially the gearchange. I suspect the transmission fluid had been a little low, too. It used to crunch a little changing down to 3rd, but that's gone now.

I found the Panda easy to service with good access, and didn't even need to jack the car up. Only the plugs are a bit fiddly, tucked away deep down at the back of the engine. Taking the throttle body off for cleaning improved access. Oh, and FIAT's coolant hose clips are just mean. My engine oil filter and sump plug were stupidly tight, also the sump was quite rusty, so I smeared the used engine oil over it. It seems I'm not the only one to do this...

I initially thought the door mirrors were hopeless, as I could adjust them to see either half my own car, or all my own car, and trying to move the housing was just flexing the mounting and I was worried about breaking it. But it turns out they had just seized in place, and penetrating fluid and spray grease soon got them free. I have to push mine slightly outwards of their normal position, and I'm not a big bloke.

Then I started finding all sorts of help on this forum! I had the dreaded power steering failure once, when manoeuvring out of a car park, and found the answer to my problems on here. I've cleaned the battery earth connections, and make sure I always let the battery recover from the shock of starting the car before setting off.

I also found out about the common rust spots of coolant return pipe and rear axle, and the mud trap behind the front springs (Thank you Dave McT!).

Whilst I had the car up in the air, clearing out the wheelarches, treating springs, shocks and rear axle for rust, I decided to paint my wheels white.
panda 03.jpg
I just have an aversion to plastic wheel trims. The Panda's aren't too bad (at least they're not trying hard to look like alloys), but I've always had a soft spot for a painted steel wheel. I think they can look great on the right car, and I just prefer them to alloys on small cheap cars.

I thought the off-white would go well with my shade of blue and would give a subtle 'classic Panda' inspired style. Mine even has a tape deck! How's that for retro credentials? Once I'd done it, though, I couldn't help thinking about a junior rally car look. I'm not into modifying my cars, but I'm not against a bit of subtle personalisation and wanted to make sure my Panda wouldn't be mistaken for granny's shopping trolley. I also really wanted a rear spoiler. The 100HP looks so much better for it. Whilst I like the design of the basic Panda inside and out, the rear styling just seems a little abrupt to me, like it got embarrassed and left the room mid-sentence. So I ordered one direct from Team HEKO. Arrived quickly, easy to fix, I'm very happy with it.
panda 04.jpgpanda 05.jpgpanda 06.jpgpanda 07.jpgpanda 08.jpg
Whilst treating the rear axle, I noticed the outer skin of the exhaust back box had rusted away, so wire-brushed and painted it black, and thought it looked a bit odd so added a chrome tail pipe tip. I never thought would ever do such a thing, but so many cars have them now that I don't think it looks so daft as I would have thought 10 years or so ago. Finally, I couldn't resist the urge to try the junior rally look with some decals. This is my first Italian car, and I've long wanted an excuse for a Magneti Marelli sticker! I wonder if their ignition will be more reliable than the Lucas & SEV Marchal I grew up with?;)
panda 09.jpg
My remote key fob rubbers were in a sorry state, so I replaced the buttons, which had a happy side-effect of curing the boot lid of randomly opening itself! I've no idea why it should, maybe the collapsed boot lid button was interfering with the switch? After this, removing the boot handle and cleaning the switch has improved it massively, and now the boot lid opens almost every time!;)
panda key.jpg
We've used our Panda to go camping by removing the rear seats completely, folding the front seats flat and plonking an air-mattress on top. It was, er, cosy! I did sound the horn with my foot in the middle of night once or twice. But it was comfortable.
panda 10.jpgpanda 11.jpgpanda 12.jpg
The only other conversion for camping was adding interior lights to the rear, which I did by connecting a dual USB socket to the boot light wires. Of course this only gets power when the boot is open, and even then switches off after a few minutes, so it's not much use for devices, but it does give options for USB lights to be connected to illuminate the boot.
panda 13.jpgpanda 14.jpgpanda 15.jpgpanda 16.jpgpanda 17.jpg
Coming up to my first year of ownership, there are so many things I like about the car, and only a couple of things I don't: the rear axle seems like it could have been better designed (and built), and the incessantly self-cancelling indicators are daft (and unnecessarily tricky for learner drivers). Minor gripes for such a cheap car to buy and run, though. I find the follow-me-home lights useful, and I like the way the lights turns themselves off when you kill the ignition (instead of staying on and draining the battery or, even worse, beeping at me:p).

Definitely bigger on the inside than the outside. It's amazing how much you can get in them, and I regularly chuck my bike in the back. We only intended to keep it for a couple of years, but now I'm not so sure!
The rip in my driver's seat was getting worse, and I was worried it would soon reach the point of no return so I felt I really should clean and repair it.

As you can see not only is it filthy, there's a bad rip in the side, and there's a cat on it (no, that's not a big black stain). Before and after pic:
panda 29.jpg
It's actually a bit too clean now and making the rest of the interior look dirty. Will have to do something about that.

Step 1: Remove cat. Difficulty level: very.
Step 2: Remove seat base. Difficulty level: not. Two bolts and the seat base comes out. This is going to be easy!
Step 3: Remove cover from cushion. Difficulty level: yes. Maybe someone knows the correct method, I prised the black plastic clips out with a screwdriver and some swearing. I damaged all of them, but they didn't break and went back in OK.
Step 4: Trim frayed material, neaten up hole with my best* blanket stitch and bung in the washing machine.
panda 30.jpgpanda 31.jpgpanda 32.jpg
Step 5: Cut patch and stitch in place. Difficulty level: at this point I thought it's best to get a replacement seat from a breakers instead. Still, this piece of attractive ivory leather will hopefully be harder wearing than the upholstery fabric.
panda 33.jpg
Does anyone need anything painting blue and white?

After a few hours of watching with what seemed to me a disapproving critical eye, her indoors commented sagely 'looks like a shoe insole'.

Several hours later it was finished and the assessment was upgraded to 'looks like a pie'. So I'm happy with that.
panda 34.jpgpanda 35.jpgPukka-Microwave-Pie.jpg
I'm just wondering whether now I should get 'Pukka' embroidered on it.

Iron-on wunderweb is handy to reinforce the back of the worn fabric. Otherwise wait until the breakers get a passenger seat in the right colour.

Failed MoT on front right suspension arm ball joint - not the wishbone rear bushes which were an advisory three years ago.

I'd been thinking about renewing the wishbones anyway, so ordered both plus new pinch bolts from Shop4Parts. Arrived next day, three bolts to remove each side, reassembled with plenty of copaslip and back for a new ticket:)

Could turn out to be a blessing in disguise - I'd been stupidly considering just DIY replacing the rear bushes. Which would have been a lot of wasted work as the ball joint was past it.

I assume the ball joint itself can't be replaced. Just seems like a lot of wasted metal slinging both wishbones for the sake of a couple of small service items like ball joints and rubber bushes. Hey-ho. Much less work though.

Attachments

• Front wishbones.jpg
    Front wishbones.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Great thread and fun read. Can't believe you've both spent a night in it. Given me lots of inspiration. Had a weekend away from the Panda as it's tucked up in the unit. Been enjoying simultaneous blazing sun and snow on the allotment!

Last edited:
Failed MoT on front right suspension arm ball joint - not the wishbone rear bushes which were an advisory three years ago.

I'd been thinking about renewing the wishbones anyway, so ordered both plus new pinch bolts from Shop4Parts. Arrived next day, three bolts to remove each side, reassembled with plenty of copaslip and back for a new ticket:)

Could turn out to be a blessing in disguise - I'd been stupidly considering just DIY replacing the rear bushes. Which would have been a lot of wasted work as the ball joint was past it.

I assume the ball joint itself can't be replaced. Just seems like a lot of wasted metal slinging both wishbones for the sake of a couple of small service items like ball joints and rubber bushes. Hey-ho. Much less work though.

I keep hold of them and when I have enough cash them in

I stripped a gearbox down. Sold the brass, aluminium, steel plus two arm for £20.

Still have the diff and housing. Thought i might make a light out off it some time

you probably already know.

But the front suspension has to be at the correct ride height before the bolts are tightened.

otherwise it could wear out prematurely

Great thread and fun read. Can't believe you've both spent a night in it. Given me lots of inspiration. Had a weekend away from the Panda as it's tucked up in the unit. Been enjoying simultaneous blazing sun and snow on the allotment!
Hi @weemac:) I hope you found something useful!

I'm enjoying your thread too, it's great to see your MJ get the attention she deserves to keep her future-proofed(y) I'm often tempted by an MJ (preferably pre-DPF like yours).

That extra torque seems just what the Panda could do with. Plus the lower CO2, tax and better economy (especially as diesel is actually a fair bit cheaper than petrol in Ireland).

But then we're doing such tiny mileage at present, it wouldn't be kind to a diesel.

Funnily enough, we're just considering our next Panda camping trip! Once the nights warm up a bit (and restrictions are hopefully eased), I want to hop on the ferry and head to the mountains of Kerry. Those must be the lyrics from an old Irish song, I'm sure. We did a few nights last time, more than a week, and I'm trying to convince the boss it wasn't all that bad:D I'm getting some very old fashioned looks. Anyway, hotels are closed, so it's the Panda or a tent:)

Edit: Or I go on my own

Last edited:
I keep hold of them and when I have enough cash them in

Ah, I did my wishbones at my parents' house. My old man kindly offered to take them to the tip as he was off there anyway. He's at the age where they do that. Cheeky blighter must've pocketed the earnings! You have to watch these OAPs, they're crafty. Especially the Yorkshire ones. Crafty and cheap.

you probably already know.

But the front suspension has to be at the correct ride height before the bolts are tightened.

otherwise it could wear out prematurely

Confession time - I tightened them fully off the ground and took her back for a new ticket... later I read on here that's not how you do it, so ran out wielding my 18mm spanner to slacken and re-tighten them correctly. The things I've learned on this forum:)

Hi @weemac:) I hope you found something useful!

I'm enjoying your thread too, it's great to see your MJ get the attention she deserves to keep her future-proofed(y) I'm often tempted by an MJ (preferably pre-DPF like yours).

That extra torque seems just what the Panda could do with. Plus the lower CO2, tax and better economy (especially as diesel is actually a fair bit cheaper than petrol in Ireland).

But then we're doing such tiny mileage at present, it wouldn't be kind to a diesel.

Aye, it's coming along. I was really surprised with how pokey it is. Plus the economy is far better than expected (I'll get some real figures together at some point). I'd become used to 25/30mpg in my previous daily driver Freelander TD4.

Once I've smoothed the literal roughness out of the Panda's engine, it'll make a fine steed.

Funnily enough, we're just considering our next Panda camping trip! Once the nights warm up a bit (and restrictions are hopefully eased), I want to hop on the ferry and head to the mountains of Kerry. Those must be the lyrics from an old Irish song, I'm sure. We did a few nights last time, more than a week, and I'm trying to convince the boss it wasn't all that bad:D I'm getting some very old fashioned looks. Anyway, hotels are closed, so it's the Panda or a tent:)

Edit: Or I go on my own

That sounds like a lovely trip, west is most definitely best. Have you considered a small roofbox? Think of all those added 'luxuries' you could persuade her with ;)

Heh, thanks, but I'm more used to touring trips by bicycle, 2CV, MX5 or Austin-Healey, so the Panda feels like it's got loads of space by comparison!

I'm often amazed at just how much you can squeeze in a Panda:)

And to be honest, my girl's surprisingly good at packing light - it's me that's the culprit! I insist on having the means for making decent coffee and on having a bottle or two of something worth drinking. Plus something to drink it out of. Helps ensure a good nights' sleep. And not just when camping:)

The car look so much better without those hubcaps on. Did you paint the steelies white? Or did they come like that.
Hi Rocco, and thanks! I painted them myself. My wheels were quite rusty under the wheel trims (good ol' British weather:)), so took quite a bit of sanding down and rust-proofing before painting.

A warning though - white is a right faff to keep clean, especially in winter. There's a good thread on others' painted steelies you might enjoy here.

Aero wipers fail!.....and rescue!

Now I'm living by the coast I'm keeping a closer eye on potential rust areas (sump pan, coolant pipe, springs & shocks, rear axle, brakes, rear sills)

The first victim was the windscreen wiper arms which rusted heroically quickly. I needed new wipers anyway, so instead of looking at rusting orange blobs I thought I'd go for aero wipers - less likely to rust I figure.

One of the many joys of living in remote rural Ireland is lack of parts - our local motor factors haven't been able to get any of the parts I've needed so far.

Delivery from the UK was prohibitively expensive, so I decided to get some cheap Chinese copies from AliExpress. 22" & 16" for about £5 delivered... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32804926695.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3e664c4db9Moq7

...except of course they're for LHD cars, and so they're upside-down:eek:

So I've ended up with more of a Gurney flap. Still technically 'aero' I suppose...
Aero wipers 01.jpg
For Bosch, I think you can swap the mountings and fairing around to switch between LHD & RHD.

So I carefully stripped, swapped & reassembled... and ended up exactly where I'd started:spin:

The slots in the mounting determine that the fairings can only be installed one way, so out with the junior hacksaw for some new slots.
Aero wipers 02.jpgAero wipers 03.jpg
Fixed! You can hardly tell the difference if you don't look at it:eek:
Aero wipers 04.jpg

Last edited:
New MoT:) One advisory for blowing exhaust at the flexible joint. It's had a ding at some point in the past that's opened up the joint so I guess it was just a matter of time.

I noticed an exhaust bracket had also rusted away under the gearbox, so maybe it's not getting the support it needs between the cat and flexi pipe? Might be time to fabricate a replacement bracket...

Happily last year's advisory for a leaking shock absorber didn't show up again:)

They couldn't tell me which shocker was leaking, I couldn't find it (and neither could this year's MoT tester), so I'll stop worrying about it.

That was from a different garage, a budget £25 MoT and the only time my car's failed. Coincidence? Maybe, but I'm not going back. I'd rather pay a reasonable rate for my MoT and be confident they're not actively going to try and find faults to generate work.

Then off to celebrate with a 2,000 mile trip to the Netherlands, Belgium, France and Ireland:) Plenty of 169s happily buzzing about in the Netherlands. I think our car enjoyed those smooth quiet roads in Picardy most of all though.

Attachments

• panda 36.jpg
    panda 36.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
New MoT:) I noticed an exhaust bracket had also rusted away under the gearbox, so maybe it's not getting the support it needs between the cat and flexi pipe? Might be time to fabricate a replacement bracket...

The catalyst outlet pipe is stainless. The engine to pipe P clip is ordinary steel which corrodes accelerated by the galvanic effect and road salt.

I made a 25mm x 4mm T shape bracket that goes to the gearbox side of the exhaust flange using a bell-housing to engine bolt. However my car exhaust does have a bolt on that one (stud on the other side). Double stud flange would not be so handy.

My wife's car has a U clamp bolted to a bracket but I have had to beef it up as the bracket cracked all too soon.

Bit late to the party but really enjoyed your thread. I’m definitely going to get my transmission oil changed and inspect my cups :)
Thanks macp, and likewise:) I got into the habit of changing transmission oil when I get a car.

I was surprised to see the Panda's handbook doesn't specify an interval to change the oil, only to check it at 80k miles.

Which sounds like a load of rubbish to me. There are a few seals on the gearbox - input shaft and driveshafts - that can easily give up before then resulting in leaks.

I suspect my Panda's gearbox oil was low when I got it, which had caused the input shaft bearing to overheat and collapse.

I certainly think an oil change is a good idea - and I check the level every year.

The catalyst outlet pipe is stainless. The engine to pipe P clip is ordinary steel which corrodes accelerated by the galvanic effect and road salt.
My wife's car has a U clamp bolted to a bracket but I have had to beef it up as the bracket cracked all too soon.
Yep, sounds like that's what's happened on mine as I have a rusty L shaped bracket supporting fresh air bolted to the bell-housing and a loose rusty and battered U clamp swinging about between the cat and flexi pipe.

Thanks Dave, you've given me some ideas for a replacement bracket. It seems the exhaust does need that front support after all:eek:

Back