panda 01.jpg

Panda Psychopanda - qu'est-ce que c'est?

Introduction

panda 01.jpgpanda 02.jpg
This is our 2004 1.2 Dynamic ('Psychopanda' after her number plate, not the way she's driven!), soon after we bought her in October 2018 at 92k miles, on the way back from Belgium with my girlfriend's otherworldly possessions (plus a bottle or twelve of the local tipple). Getting that lowrider style I've always wanted:)

It's such a fun and capable little car, I've quickly developed a real soft spot for it as it bounces and leans around the countryside! We got it for my girlfriend to learn to drive and took my Mk1 MX5 off the road. I guess I'm a small car person then:)

Most of my driving is on country lanes, and it's a hilarious thing to chuck about. I'd read they handled pretty well, but I didn't expect to be grinning quite so much when driving it! Being narrow helps on the lanes, yet I was surprised that it feels light and spacious inside, from the front seats anyway. Also surprised to learn that at 850kg it weighs less than my MX5.

It's taken me a little while to get it how I want it.

First was a new timing belt as, despite FSH, there was no record of it having been done, and I used this to drive the asking price down a bit.

I prefer to do my own servicing and, again despite FSH, the plugs, coolant and transmission fluid looked ancient. The car felt much better after the service, especially the gearchange. I suspect the transmission fluid had been a little low, too. It used to crunch a little changing down to 3rd, but that's gone now.

I found the Panda easy to service with good access, and didn't even need to jack the car up. Only the plugs are a bit fiddly, tucked away deep down at the back of the engine. Taking the throttle body off for cleaning improved access. Oh, and FIAT's coolant hose clips are just mean. My engine oil filter and sump plug were stupidly tight, also the sump was quite rusty, so I smeared the used engine oil over it. It seems I'm not the only one to do this...

I initially thought the door mirrors were hopeless, as I could adjust them to see either half my own car, or all my own car, and trying to move the housing was just flexing the mounting and I was worried about breaking it. But it turns out they had just seized in place, and penetrating fluid and spray grease soon got them free. I have to push mine slightly outwards of their normal position, and I'm not a big bloke.

Then I started finding all sorts of help on this forum! I had the dreaded power steering failure once, when manoeuvring out of a car park, and found the answer to my problems on here. I've cleaned the battery earth connections, and make sure I always let the battery recover from the shock of starting the car before setting off.

I also found out about the common rust spots of coolant return pipe and rear axle, and the mud trap behind the front springs (Thank you Dave McT!).

Whilst I had the car up in the air, clearing out the wheelarches, treating springs, shocks and rear axle for rust, I decided to paint my wheels white.
panda 03.jpg
I just have an aversion to plastic wheel trims. The Panda's aren't too bad (at least they're not trying hard to look like alloys), but I've always had a soft spot for a painted steel wheel. I think they can look great on the right car, and I just prefer them to alloys on small cheap cars.

I thought the off-white would go well with my shade of blue and would give a subtle 'classic Panda' inspired style. Mine even has a tape deck! How's that for retro credentials? Once I'd done it, though, I couldn't help thinking about a junior rally car look. I'm not into modifying my cars, but I'm not against a bit of subtle personalisation and wanted to make sure my Panda wouldn't be mistaken for granny's shopping trolley. I also really wanted a rear spoiler. The 100HP looks so much better for it. Whilst I like the design of the basic Panda inside and out, the rear styling just seems a little abrupt to me, like it got embarrassed and left the room mid-sentence. So I ordered one direct from Team HEKO. Arrived quickly, easy to fix, I'm very happy with it.
panda 04.jpgpanda 05.jpgpanda 06.jpgpanda 07.jpgpanda 08.jpg
Whilst treating the rear axle, I noticed the outer skin of the exhaust back box had rusted away, so wire-brushed and painted it black, and thought it looked a bit odd so added a chrome tail pipe tip. I never thought would ever do such a thing, but so many cars have them now that I don't think it looks so daft as I would have thought 10 years or so ago. Finally, I couldn't resist the urge to try the junior rally look with some decals. This is my first Italian car, and I've long wanted an excuse for a Magneti Marelli sticker! I wonder if their ignition will be more reliable than the Lucas & SEV Marchal I grew up with?;)
panda 09.jpg
My remote key fob rubbers were in a sorry state, so I replaced the buttons, which had a happy side-effect of curing the boot lid of randomly opening itself! I've no idea why it should, maybe the collapsed boot lid button was interfering with the switch? After this, removing the boot handle and cleaning the switch has improved it massively, and now the boot lid opens almost every time!;)
panda key.jpg
We've used our Panda to go camping by removing the rear seats completely, folding the front seats flat and plonking an air-mattress on top. It was, er, cosy! I did sound the horn with my foot in the middle of night once or twice. But it was comfortable.
panda 10.jpgpanda 11.jpgpanda 12.jpg
The only other conversion for camping was adding interior lights to the rear, which I did by connecting a dual USB socket to the boot light wires. Of course this only gets power when the boot is open, and even then switches off after a few minutes, so it's not much use for devices, but it does give options for USB lights to be connected to illuminate the boot.
panda 13.jpgpanda 14.jpgpanda 15.jpgpanda 16.jpgpanda 17.jpg
Coming up to my first year of ownership, there are so many things I like about the car, and only a couple of things I don't: the rear axle seems like it could have been better designed (and built), and the incessantly self-cancelling indicators are daft (and unnecessarily tricky for learner drivers). Minor gripes for such a cheap car to buy and run, though. I find the follow-me-home lights useful, and I like the way the lights turns themselves off when you kill the ignition (instead of staying on and draining the battery or, even worse, beeping at me:p).

Definitely bigger on the inside than the outside. It's amazing how much you can get in them, and I regularly chuck my bike in the back. We only intended to keep it for a couple of years, but now I'm not so sure!
My exhaust catalyst broke off at the weld under the cat case. Strangely I had no engine warning lights just the noise.

The 100HP uses a bolt into the alloy sump but in standard Fiat fashion the hole is open at the back so the bolt corroded and cracked the boss it was threaded into. The sump is fine but the exhaust support is toast. I make a bracket using an ordinary U clamp but it rusted rapidly and was not really solid enough to protect the weld.

I made a bracket from 5 x 25 steel bar. Unfortunately it's hidden under the under tray so no pictures. Part (1) bolts to the exhaust flange (near side) using a long bolt and spacer. It has an angled taper cut to meet Part (2) which bolts under one of the gearbox bell-housing bolts. I filed the part 1 to fit and Sharpie marked the alignment. Tack welded them off the car and tried for fit. Fully welded when happy with the fit.

I had resisted doing it because - well its a faff!. But in reality it wasn't too hard to do. A good linish, prime and paint seem to have kept the dreaded rust at bay.

I had resisted doing it because - well its a faff!
Heh - my thoughts exactly!:) I removed the broken bracket when doing my clutch but was too busy with replacing seals and bearings to pay it much attention. That was a mistake it seems.

Just to clarify, it's parts 4, 5, 6 & 7 in the diagram below that were still on my car, but not connected to the exhaust pipe in any way.

It seems there should be a clamp (FIAT part number 51816520) around the exhaust that bolts to the L bracket (4) on the 1.2, but no trace of this on mine.

They're readily available in the UK: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-500-Punto-Panda-Alfa-Front-Exhaust-Cat-Support-Bracket-Clamp-Gen-51816520-/233013441724

Typical! Every time I come back to Ireland I discover something I should have got whilst I was in the UK... Well, if I can't find that part or equivalent at a reasonable cost here, I'll have a go at making my own.

Edit: just found a good thread on the 500 section dealing with this: https://www.fiatforum.com/500/489291-exhaust-clamp-positions.html?p=4611120

Attachments

• exhaust bracket.jpg
    exhaust bracket.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 53
  • exhaust bracket 02.jpg
    exhaust bracket 02.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Shop 4 Parts my go-to. They don't list the clamp but well worth a phone call.

But the eBay seller should ship to Eire. I've just bought some stuff from Estonia. It arrived no worries.

Shop 4 Parts my go-to.
Same here, have used S4P for my new front wishbones & rear brake cylinders this year (delivery in the UK, mind) and would do so again.

But the eBay seller should ship to Eire.
Aye, that's true, but delivery always seems strangely expensive to ROI. £12 bracket plus £12 postage is more than I'm prepared to pay for a piece of bent tin!

Especially as I'm not convinced it's really up to the job. OK my car's 17 years old now, but there's very little rust on it and that bracket has completely disintegrated. I can't help but wonder how many have survived? Now I'm by the coast I wouldn't trust a replacement bracket to last more than a couple of years.

So I might just replace the battered U clamp at the front of the flexi and make up a bracket to support that.

Last edited:
All of which has got me musing...
I was feeling pretty smug about my Panda as I took her for her MoT last year. She'd cost me nothing in two years of ownership. And then...

• Front wishbones for MoT
  • Clutch, slipping due to oil contamination from either crankshaft or input shaft - both were leaking, so...
  • Input shaft bearing & seal
  • Crankshaft main rear seal
  • Crankshaft position sensor (old one failed, car abruptly stalled and wouldn't fire)
  • Rear brake cylinders (both sides started leaking badly this year)
all replaced in the last year. Now my exhaust is blowing and I also need a new thermostat - she's not quite getting up to temperature any more.

Happily - and with the help of this forum:) - I'm able to do these jobs myself, otherwise the bills this year could have exceeded the car's value.

I'm aware they're all service items that have well exceeded their intended design life, so no complaints (except perhaps the input shaft bearing. Seems a bit feeble).

It helps to have the peace of mind that the galvanised body and tough little engine have years of life left in them, and the parts are so cheap that consumables are worth replacing.

But being able to do your own maintenance is such a help in keeping older examples in good order. And thank heavens the Panda has such a great forum - not all cars are as lucky:)

Last edited:
I made my exhaust bracket using a cheap Aldi arc welder. It has to be used with a (very) heavy duty extension lead but does a good job on 5mm steel. I'll get a picture, next time I have the under tray off the car.

By the way for anyone wondering, the car has considerably less road noise with the under-tray fitted. Well worth having for that alone IMO.

Last edited:
Oops...
panda retrim 01.jpg

You know when someone packs the boot all wrong, and then because you don't want to seem like ol' fussy-pants, instead of repacking the boot properly you just mutter something under your breath and sling the suitcase that now won't fit in the boot on the back seat?

And then you go round a roundabout and that suitcase goes sliding about from one side to the other, only to find its heroic bid for freedom checked by a flimsy bit of plastic trim?

I did consider trying to find a replacement, but instead embarked on yet another ill-advised diy repair attempt that half way through I wished I hadn't started.

Of course, that meant I had to retrim the matching panel from the other side as well. And then the other sill covers. And the B pillar panels.

O well, it's done now, and I'm quite happy with the result.

Trouble is, I might have to do the door cards now. And then maybe the dash? No, not the dash...

Attachments

• panda retrim 02.jpg
    panda retrim 02.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 37
  • panda retrim 03.jpg
    panda retrim 03.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 37
  • panda retrim 04.jpg
    panda retrim 04.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 35
  • panda retrim 05.jpg
    panda retrim 05.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 35
  • panda retrim 06.jpg
    panda retrim 06.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 37
Time for a new handbrake cable...
I noticed last year the handbrake lever balance bar was sitting at an angle...
then handbrake wasn't holding enough for MOT...
the garage adjusted it then and there to get it through...
I think they took the drum off and wound some extra clicks on the automatic adjuster...
and then a few days ago it went 'ping'. No handbrake.

Luckily it's an easy job. I saw some guides where they remove the shoes, but I didn't find that necessary...
but then there was plenty of slack in my cable to push it out of the shoe and hook the new cable in place without disturbing anything.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
Back