Qubo Proxi alignment failed

Currently reading:
Qubo Proxi alignment failed

This is a 'asking for a friend' post, so more detail will require the owner to post responses.

2013 Qubo 1.4 petrol had a failed B&M unit. A replacement B&M unit was sourced and fitted, and of course mileage is now flashing. B&M does seem to work for some functions.

A proxi alignment sees the B&M unit, but fails, showing all other nodes as good, but just states 'Failed' against the B&M unit. Mileage continues to flash.

Is this another broken B&M unit, or is there some additional procedure we need to follow to fix this?

@UpfrontWAV

This is a 'asking for a friend' post, so more detail will require the owner to post responses.

2013 Qubo 1.4 petrol had a failed B&M unit. A replacement B&M unit was sourced and fitted, and of course mileage is now flashing. B&M does seem to work for some functions.

A proxi alignment sees the B&M unit, but fails, showing all other nodes as good, but just states 'Failed' against the B&M unit. Mileage continues to flash.

Is this another broken B&M unit, or is there some additional procedure we need to follow to fix this?

@UpfrontWAV
Hi,

You need to check from where the new replacement B&M module was sourced and if it was a like for like part number........as far as I have come across there are 3 distinctive variants on the B&M options....... the original B&M generation1 module used on Fiats from around 2007 up to 2010, however Alfas and vans lagged a little behind and I have found in these vehicles gen1 modules up to 2012.... then after 2010 they intoduced the B&M generation2 module which is required for the installation of a TomTom2 LIVE B&M and was more friendly playing music from a mobile into the USB slot without the expensive adaptor. The 3rd type module appears bespoke to Fleet Vehicles and interacted with the TomTom2 and fed back vehicle location to a central control. Generally these are removed after vehicle is passed on as we have had a lot of enquiries with 2nd owners of vans with all the BlueMe features apparent on the vehicle but cannot pair up any item because alas there is no standad B&M module been replaced.........

A 2013 Qubo should have a generation2 BLUEME module and the way to check this would be to go into the cluster menu settings, then into USER DATA, use arrow UP to get into ADVANCED FEATURES, then look for IMAGE ID.......however not sure if you have imited functions what you may be able to access......

BYE

I have been informed that the replacement module bears the same part number as the original. I would expect the three options to have different part numbers, so therefore it should be an identical module, but won't fully integrate with the car, as a proxy alignment fails.
Does a used unit carry data from its original vehicle that would prevent pairing properly with another?
Or is there another reason why it might fail to align?

@UpfrontWAV can you follow the instructions above and record here the IMAGE ID please.

I have been informed that the replacement module bears the same part number as the original. I would expect the three options to have different part numbers, so therefore it should be an identical module, but won't fully integrate with the car, as a proxy alignment fails.
Does a used unit carry data from its original vehicle that would prevent pairing properly with another?
Or is there another reason why it might fail to align?

@UpfrontWAV can you follow the instructions above and record here the IMAGE ID please.
Attached below is what I get under the IMAGE ID option.

Please note @Farrah that I bought the car on the understanding that the B&M unit wasn’t working and I assumed (rightly or wrongly?) that the flashing odometer was due to the old failed unit. I replaced the old B&M unit with one of identical part number reclaimed from a Fiat 500. The new B&M unit works perfectly on all functions with my smartphone connected via the USB port. The only issue is the flashing odometer - a minor irritation.

The odometer gives a steady display for 10 seconds after opening or closing the door, after which it switches off (at the same time as the cabin lights) UNLESS the key is turned to MAR, after which it holds steady for 4 seconds, moving to flash mode when the warning lights turn off.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 584A4066-FDB0-4B0C-AF9D-132BA1B030D4.jpeg
    584A4066-FDB0-4B0C-AF9D-132BA1B030D4.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 64
Hi,

I will try my best to make a bit of sense of the problems but given Fiat dealers seem very sparse of knowldge on the blueme modules and what can be done most of what we have learnt now has been hands on......

First of all you need to understand ECU modules and part numbers from a manufacturers point of logistics......it would be impossible (well logistically a nightmare) for a company to stock ECU modules for every variant of car to be specified by a dealer for the cars 'build card'.....the storemen would have a mammoth task as everyone of the modules would look excactly the same......possibly a little easier today with bar code reading machines but impossible to have separate bins on the shelf for every internal differences a car may be optioned for in specs.

So what happens is the module will carry a basic generic part number all identical all with the same part number.....the car will then get built and at some point normally the end of line there is a section in the UK we called VCATS.........here the car gets plugged into the assembly line computer system and all the features are programmed into the car ie make, radio codes etc etc, not just for what would be the blue and me module but also for the body ECU processor.......

So the problem is the blueme module will not likely be factory programmed to suit a Qubo but a 500....there is specific items identified in a B&M module as it picks up information that interacts even with the tomtom sat nav giving the cars image which then appears on the tomtom screen....that said I would not guarantee a 500 to 500 would necessarily work but it does appear I have read owners have done it with success with modules from the same car........you cannot really equate the factory programming of modules to what can be done or needs to be done on the retail market.

I would expect a main dealer may be able to reprogramme a module or possibly delete the factory part of the programming but it could be that even when they have to replace a failed unit they have to give Fiat the vin number who will have stored all the relavant LINE BUILD data then supply a bespoke module again for the vehicle at point of dispatch based on what was factory programmed.........

I would expect this maybe why the electronics is identifying something is wrong with the flashing ODO but still allows the blueme functions to work............that said you may have nothing wrong with the original module and you have been given wrong information..........my flashing ODO was caused but the sotp/start battery so what evidence is available that identifies the BM module as the cause of the flashing ODO if as you say all the BM features are working.......

Thanks @Farrah. I still have the old B&M module. It seemed to be completely non-functional. Is it worth re-trying it?
Also, there is a guy on eBay who repairs B&M modules - makes no charge when he can't fix them. May be worth a go. Otherwise it would be a main dealer job at next year's service. If it's an expensive fix then I just live with a flashing odo for its novelty value!

Hi,

I will try my best to make a bit of sense of the problems but given Fiat dealers seem very sparse of knowldge on the blueme modules and what can be done most of what we have learnt now has been hands on......

First of all you need to understand ECU modules and part numbers from a manufacturers point of logistics......it would be impossible (well logistically a nightmare) for a company to stock ECU modules for every variant of car to be specified by a dealer for the cars 'build card'.....the storemen would have a mammoth task as everyone of the modules would look excactly the same......possibly a little easier today with bar code reading machines but impossible to have separate bins on the shelf for every internal differences a car may be optioned for in specs.

So what happens is the module will carry a basic generic part number all identical all with the same part number.....the car will then get built and at some point normally the end of line there is a section in the UK we called VCATS.........here the car gets plugged into the assembly line computer system and all the features are programmed into the car ie make, radio codes etc etc, not just for what would be the blue and me module but also for the body ECU processor.......

So the problem is the blueme module will not likely be factory programmed to suit a Qubo but a 500....there is specific items identified in a B&M module as it picks up information that interacts even with the tomtom sat nav giving the cars image which then appears on the tomtom screen....that said I would not guarantee a 500 to 500 would necessarily work but it does appear I have read owners have done it with success with modules from the same car........you cannot really equate the factory programming of modules to what can be done or needs to be done on the retail market.

I would expect a main dealer may be able to reprogramme a module or possibly delete the factory part of the programming but it could be that even when they have to replace a failed unit they have to give Fiat the vin number who will have stored all the relavant LINE BUILD data then supply a bespoke module again for the vehicle at point of dispatch based on what was factory programmed.........

I would expect this maybe why the electronics is identifying something is wrong with the flashing ODO but still allows the blueme functions to work............that said you may have nothing wrong with the original module and you have been given wrong information..........my flashing ODO was caused but the sotp/start battery so what evidence is available that identifies the BM module as the cause of the flashing ODO if as you say all the BM features are working.......

Thanks @Farrah. I still have the old B&M module. It seemed to be completely non-functional. Is it worth re-trying it?
Also, there is a guy on eBay who repairs B&M modules - makes no charge when he can't fix them. May be worth a go. Otherwise it would be a main dealer job at next year's service. If it's an expensive fix then I just live with a flashing odo for its novelty value!
Hi again,

What I would try first is to re programme/update and check the status of the blueme module you have fitted and we can do this by extracting its current BMConfig.xml file which will also show us if it is holding Fiat 500 data.........

When we get this file then it can be uploaded onto the Blueandme website and used to get the Qubo files to update.....the BMConfig file is essential as it has the Module address incorporated into the file data specific.........we have to do this all the time to install the later TomTom2's as the latest data and image code has to be changed.........

I can provide you the initial files for the extraction but you will need to have a USB flash drive formatted to FAT32(essential) and be able to download from a computer the files which I can send via wetransfer.com............to do this I need your email address.........

If you do not use a PC then I can only do this by posting out a USB flash drive with the files on...........it may be if we can correctly programme the BM module then the car proxy alignment may accept it...................worth a try before a main dealer route enquiry............

I have in a previous post outlined a simple first look fix for the blueme module.......I may have done this as a PM so I will look it up again. I also included a company that did a standard fix repair for £120 but can't remember them until I look it up......

Hi again,

What I would try first is to re programme/update and check the status of the blueme module you have fitted and we can do this by extracting its current BMConfig.xml file which will also show us if it is holding Fiat 500 data.........

When we get this file then it can be uploaded onto the Blueandme website and used to get the Qubo files to update.....the BMConfig file is essential as it has the Module address incorporated into the file data specific.........we have to do this all the time to install the later TomTom2's as the latest data and image code has to be changed.........

I can provide you the initial files for the extraction but you will need to have a USB flash drive formatted to FAT32(essential) and be able to download from a computer the files which I can send via wetransfer.com............to do this I need your email address.........

If you do not use a PC then I can only do this by posting out a USB flash drive with the files on...........it may be if we can correctly programme the BM module then the car proxy alignment may accept it...................worth a try before a main dealer route enquiry............

I have in a previous post outlined a simple first look fix for the blueme module.......I may have done this as a PM so I will look it up again. I also included a company that did a standard fix repair for £120 but can't remember them until I look it up......
Hi @Farrah,

I don't have the necessary cables to connect the B&M unit to my PC. The proxy alignment was attempted by @portland_bill, so it really depends on whether he has the time to / wants to follow this up re. extracting the BMConfig file. Over to you @portland_bill...

Thanks again.

Hi @Farrah,

I don't have the necessary cables to connect the B&M unit to my PC. The proxy alignment was attempted by @portland_bill, so it really depends on whether he has the time to / wants to follow this up re. extracting the BMConfig file. Over to you @portland_bill...

Thanks again.
Hi,
You do not need special cables to connect the BM module to a PC this is all done in situ from the cars USB slot........a flash drive is placed in the cars USB with the necessary files on it.......you then just switch on the cars ignition and this will allow the file to be extracted from the BM module and this gets placed on the USB flash drive automatically.........

This file which is unique to the blueandme module is then uploaded to the official Blueandme.net website and it allows the correct or updated files to be obtained. These files are then placed back onto a flash drive and again inserted in the cars USB slot and it will reprogramme and update the blueme module to the correct specification of the car.........

I have done this many times for members but as it needs the files sent I can only do it via email or posting......

I would anticipate if we update and correct the Blueandme module to suit a Qubo then the Body Processor ECU during proxy alignment may be more likely to accept it fully.........

Hi,
You do not need special cables to connect the BM module to a PC this is all done in situ from the cars USB slot........a flash drive is placed in the cars USB with the necessary files on it.......you then just switch on the cars ignition and this will allow the file to be extracted from the BM module and this gets placed on the USB flash drive automatically.........

This file which is unique to the blueandme module is then uploaded to the official Blueandme.net website and it allows the correct or updated files to be obtained. These files are then placed back onto a flash drive and again inserted in the cars USB slot and it will reprogramme and update the blueme module to the correct specification of the car.........

I have done this many times for members but as it needs the files sent I can only do it via email or posting......

I would anticipate if we update and correct the Blueandme module to suit a Qubo then the Body Processor ECU during proxy alignment may be more likely to accept it fully.........
Please check my reply in your message inbox. Thank you.

@Farrah I have looked at MES again, but unfortunately it does not save any recent data, but I do have the two 'reports' below, which at least show what modules it recognised, and their ISO codes, if that is useful.
@UpfrontWAV you might like to look at the original module, to see if it has an ISO code on its label, hopefully it is the same, as well as its part number being the same.

Attachments

• Tony Qubo 2.pdf
    458.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Tony Qubo.pdf
    457.9 KB · Views: 71
Hi.

When you update a blueme module on the blueandme website you have to specifically select the vehicle model to get the correct files downloaded so I have PM'd Upfrontwav and sent over the files so we can reprogramme the blueme module for a Qubo as I suspect it currently holds the info for when it was programmed for the 500........

Stage 1 is just to check and confirm what data is held inside the module software and this extracts its current config file......I will then if it gives back 500 data update on the blueme website from the config file and change it to a Qubo......I have to regularly do this for the cars code to accept different sat navs for pairing........sadly it is all in my PM messages as I can only do it via email.

When I get the current module config file from Upfrontwav then I will get all the correct files from the blueandme website for a Qubo and these can be used to reprogramme the module.......after that hopefully the body processor module during proxy alignment may accept it and get rid of the flashing ODO. Better still as all this is done via the cars USB slot it may just auto correct the flashing ODO.....

To me whilst I agree it is essential to have at least the same part number on the module as I said previously there were 3 specific levels of modules, the rest of any exterior markings is just of no value IMHO.......these modules are buried deep inside the car and the final programming is all done by VIN number as the vehicle was line built the specifications required would all be programmed in on final assembly 'end of line' so the software content can be totally different

Bye

Hi,

Figured it would be more useful to respond to your private message on this main post as may assist others too.

As I said FAT32 is important and yes I have had issues where people have tried on a MAC and only successful using a PC......I dont use MAC so have no idea why it often fails........the files I sent as stage 1 are only small files so again using an old PC to download can take time and also I never rely doing any downloads over WIFI and always hard wire to router.

That aside you have now managed to extract the blueme module BMConf.xml and as I suspected it is programmed for a Fiat 500 as can be seen on the second line of the file I have copied for you below

<BlueAndMeInfo>

<CarType>500</CarType> (NOTE THIS LINE SHOULD SHOW QUBO)

<Configuration>97FC0</Configuration> (THIS LINE 5 DIGITS CONTROLS WHICH MODEL SAT NAV YOU WANT TO USE)

<BDaddr>15577_20_2451</BDaddr> (THIS IS YOUR UNIQUE READ WRITE ADDRESS)

</BlueAndMeInfo>

What is now needed is to update this file through the official blueandme.net website and get the latest complete files downloaded for your specific car......the cars unique body module address to read and write to is shown on the 4th line of the file.....

I appreciate as you said in your response this is all very time consuming for you especially as your old PC is struggling to download the files....however the complete update files for stage 2 are a lot more content and size and can take a lot longer than the simple extraction files for stage 1 to get the BMConf file..........also when the files are downloaded the process to update the cars BM module can take over 15 minutes so patience here is a virtue.........

It is up to you if you want to proceed with the updates and I can offer you a couple of alternatives..........I can PM you my home address and you can send me your own flash drive with a stamped address envelope and i will place the files on it for you and return............alternatively I can post you one of my flash drives if you PM me your address but you will need to cover postage costs and a deposit on the flash drive (sorry I have had too many now not been returned so I just ask a £5 deposit and I will refund after the flash drive is returned less postage costs)........you can find a friend who has a later PC a bit faster than your old one and I can send them the files once I have got them from the blueandme website.......

Whilst I cannot be sure this will correct your flashing ODO the fact the blueandme.net website makes you select precisely your car and model prior to programming the blueme module and the BMConf file would show Qubo rather than 500 I suspect this with software functioning is quite important to have right then you may find the BM Module will be accepted on proxy alignment or even better it may just correct the flashing mileage as clearly the Fiat500 module is being recognised for useage as a piece of hardware.........

Let me know how you want to proceed

BYE

Last edited:
@Farrah Thank you for your continued efforts on this matter, and thank you for posting this latest reply, I am sure it will be helpful to others.
@UpfrontWAV If your PC struggles to upload the files, we could meet again, for you to hand me a suitable flash drive, I can then download the files, and we meet again to return the flash drive to you. Once installed/updated, we'll probably need another meet to try again with the proxy alignment, and hopefully set the odometer to steady.
All sounds a bit complicated, but I do need to visit Chippenham regularly, so not really a chore. However, the option of posting your flash drive to Farrah seems a good one.
I'm sure he's mentioned it, but once the update starts, do not interrupt it, as there have been previous posts where an interruption can corrupt the module, and you'll be back at square one.

@Farrah Thank you for your continued efforts on this matter, and thank you for posting this latest reply, I am sure it will be helpful to others.
@UpfrontWAV If your PC struggles to upload the files, we could meet again, for you to hand me a suitable flash drive, I can then download the files, and we meet again to return the flash drive to you. Once installed/updated, we'll probably need another meet to try again with the proxy alignment, and hopefully set the odometer to steady.
All sounds a bit complicated, but I do need to visit Chippenham regularly, so not really a chore. However, the option of posting your flash drive to Farrah seems a good one.
I'm sure he's mentioned it, but once the update starts, do not interrupt it, as there have been previous posts where an interruption can corrupt the module, and you'll be back at square one.
Totally agree.......I also tell people to keep mobile phones OFF and no wandering hands over the steering wheel buttons.........15 minutes is a long wait but be patient till the message comes up on the cluster UPDATE COMPLETE:)

Hi,

Figured it would be more useful to respond to your private message on this main post as may assist others too.

As I said FAT32 is important and yes I have had issues where people have tried on a MAC and only successful using a PC......I dont use MAC so have no idea why it often fails........the files I sent as stage 1 are only small files so again using an old PC to download can take time and also I never rely doing any downloads over WIFI and always hard wire to router.

That aside you have now managed to extract the blueme module BMConf.xml and as I suspected it is programmed for a Fiat 500 as can be seen on the second line of the file I have copied for you below

<BlueAndMeInfo>

<CarType>500</CarType> (NOTE THIS LINE SHOULD SHOW QUBO)

<Configuration>97FC0</Configuration> (THIS LINE 5 DIGITS CONTROLS WHICH MODEL SAT NAV YOU WANT TO USE)

<BDaddr>15577_20_2451</BDaddr> (THIS IS YOUR UNIQUE READ WRITE ADDRESS)

</BlueAndMeInfo>

What is now needed is to update this file through the official blueandme.net website and get the latest complete files downloaded for your specific car......the cars unique body module address to read and write to is shown on the 4th line of the file.....

I appreciate as you said in your response this is all very time consuming for you especially as your old PC is struggling to download the files....however the complete update files for stage 2 are a lot more content and size and can take a lot longer than the simple extraction files for stage 1 to get the BMConf file..........also when the files are downloaded the process to update the cars BM module can take over 15 minutes so patience here is a virtue.........

It is up to you if you want to proceed with the updates and I can offer you a couple of alternatives..........I can PM you my home address and you can send me your own flash drive with a stamped address envelope and i will place the files on it for you and return............alternatively I can post you one of my flash drives if you PM me your address but you will need to cover postage costs and a deposit on the flash drive (sorry I have had too many now not been returned so I just ask a £5 deposit and I will refund after the flash drive is returned less postage costs)........you can find a friend who has a later PC a bit faster than your old one and I can send them the files once I have got them from the blueandme website.......

Whilst I cannot be sure this will correct your flashing ODO the fact the blueandme.net website makes you select precisely your car and model prior to programming the blueme module and the BMConf file would show Qubo rather than 500 I suspect this with software functioning is quite important to have right then you may find the BM Module will be accepted on proxy alignment or even better it may just correct the flashing mileage as clearly the Fiat500 module is being recognised for useage as a piece of hardware.........

Let me know how you want to proceed

BYE
Hi,

Thank you for detailing the options. I am happy to proceed with downloading the files to my Windows PC. I shall use a wired connection to my hub as you suggest, and I can just leave the PC running while I get on with other things. If unsuccessful, then we can arrange for you to post a flash drive to me.

Thanks again

Thanks for your continued offer to help. I think my Windows PC will probably be OK, especially with a wired internet connection. I shall keep you updated and if necessary arrange another attempt at proxy alignment.

Hi,
I have just sent you over an update set of files for your Qubo......the blueandme website would not deliver me the latest set which are V10 but only V9....

This is often normal as updates have to be done sequentially so obviously the module you have used from the 500 was very old software level but at least is a generation2 module as generation1 modules can only be updated to V5.6.

This should not affect the ability for the module though to be aligned however I think if the stage2 update files I have sent are accepted by the car we should perform a new extraction of the BMConf files using the same process as before we used to get the BMConf you sent and we can hopefully see that it has changed in the BMConf file to a Qubo/Fiorino (same vehicle as far as BM websit)

So make sure you save the original files too I first sent but you must reformat again and clean out all the files before reusing the same flash drive........so reformat flash drive to FAT32 download and transfer the files I have just sent onto flashdrive.......place flashdrive into cars USB and switch on ignition...........if error10 comes up try again and hopefully the files will do their job of reprogramming the blueme module.......phones off, keep hands off steering wheel buttons and just wait.......you will either get 'updating' or 'error 10' good news if updating comes up but be patient then you should get 'Update Complete' Do not panic if suddenly the radio blurts out in Italian this should complete and convert back to |English.......On a few occasions the language has stayed as Italian but it is a simple process to change the language over if this does happen. I have all the files required for changing over he BlueMe language but the group of files I have sent for stage2 update does show you have the English version of language files.............

If we get through all this successfully we need to get a new copy of the BMConf file and do the whole process again to update to the latest V10 software but as long as the BMConf file has changed to Qubo on the 2nd line then you should be good to at least see if the mileage has stopped flashing or attempt a new proxy alignment to see if the the module can be aligned up...........

Personally I would go through the process again if the new BMConf file does show Qubo and get the BlueMe module up to V10 software then try the proxy alignment.

BYE

Hi,
I have just sent you over an update set of files for your Qubo......the blueandme website would not deliver me the latest set which are V10 but only V9....

This is often normal as updates have to be done sequentially so obviously the module you have used from the 500 was very old software level but at least is a generation2 module as generation1 modules can only be updated to V5.6.

This should not affect the ability for the module though to be aligned however I think if the stage2 update files I have sent are accepted by the car we should perform a new extraction of the BMConf files using the same process as before we used to get the BMConf you sent and we can hopefully see that it has changed in the BMConf file to a Qubo/Fiorino (same vehicle as far as BM websit)

So make sure you save the original files too I first sent but you must reformat again and clean out all the files before reusing the same flash drive........so reformat flash drive to FAT32 download and transfer the files I have just sent onto flashdrive.......place flashdrive into cars USB and switch on ignition...........if error10 comes up try again and hopefully the files will do their job of reprogramming the blueme module.......phones off, keep hands off steering wheel buttons and just wait.......you will either get 'updating' or 'error 10' good news if updating comes up but be patient then you should get 'Update Complete' Do not panic if suddenly the radio blurts out in Italian this should complete and convert back to |English.......On a few occasions the language has stayed as Italian but it is a simple process to change the language over if this does happen. I have all the files required for changing over he BlueMe language but the group of files I have sent for stage2 update does show you have the English version of language files.............

If we get through all this successfully we need to get a new copy of the BMConf file and do the whole process again to update to the latest V10 software but as long as the BMConf file has changed to Qubo on the 2nd line then you should be good to at least see if the mileage has stopped flashing or attempt a new proxy alignment to see if the the module can be aligned up...........

Personally I would go through the process again if the new BMConf file does show Qubo and get the BlueMe module up to V10 software then try the proxy alignment.

BYE
Thank you. I have just successfully downloaded and unzipped the files onto my Windows PC. It went well and relatively quickly over the wired connection to my hub - much quicker than the first set of files over wifi connection.
Some of the problems I had with the initial set of files you sent on 2nd July were due to incomplete download. I waited for ‘download complete’ to show in my browser, but on checking the Downloads folder in File Explorer, the files were showing as Unconfirmed xxxxxx.crdownload. I now realise that I should have waited longer for these to complete as a zipped folder before proceeding.
I shall sort out the flash drives next and hopefully should be able to try updating my B&M module Wednesday/Thursday.

Back