IMG_01991.jpg

Panda (Classic) Project Fallout

Introduction

let me introduce to you, the free panda 4x4 which was first spotted >>Here<<.
First off however, here is the plan:

i will (some how) make the panda look "Post Apocalyptic" yet keep it in a road legal state (so no spikes, sharp rusty edges sadly). We have all seen mad max right? all wanted to replicate a mad max style car?
well let me be the first to attempt this with a fiat panda 4x4.

if anyone here has seen the TV program "Defiance", you surely have seen the epic Doge Charger that looks post apocalyptic. i will be trying to aim for the same theme. with such things as an external roll cadge, external metal mesh / grills covering the windows, custom bull bar, reinforced rear bumper made from tubular metal, custom twin output exhaust, and many many more.

this project is going to be undertaken as cheaply as possible (excluding parts necessary for a safe road going vehicle). reusing as many things as i can find (in scrap yards, freebees), true to a real post apocalyptic constructed vehicle. i will also be taking the "rough is best look" (please note, i say Rough not Rat!) the panda its self of course will undergo all the rust prevention Talon went under when i got him.

anyway, i will leave you a few seconds to build up a mental picture of how a panda 4x4 could look in a post apocalyptic landscape while browsing some of these Pictures.......

ok.. that should do.

First off. i need to get the panda all well and good.
a few things are broken... the exhaust, the front suspension on the passenger side, both rear dampeners are rusted out, the doors are shot but i will try to fix them, the gear stick is really loose and all the roller bearings have dropped out, the wiring is a mess (mice attack!), there are no brakes.. and i mean no brakes, and lets not forget the underside rust.

so today i started by stripping out everything inside the car to get a good look at the floor pan and clean it all out (Dragon Man style!) i found the usual rust: the boot floor is a mess, but easy fixable, a seam has gone just behind the drivers seat anything forward of that seems to be OK, and the back of the sills are just gone so i will need to rebuild that.

the engine runs.. the vac advance line has split so its a bit rough on tickover but it seems good. the fuel tank seems good.. all the 4x4 stuff seems good.

i have go a few pictures took free by a professional photographer! (or should i say someone with an epic camera :p)

Here are a few picture, but please check out >This Album<

like i say, check out the photo album.

i will be keeping >Online video logs< of this, so keep a look out on Youtube too.
here are some videos, both are long but the second one is longer!

Project Fallout a panda 4x4 turned post apocalyiptic - YouTube

Project Fallout Panda 4x4 What to do Post Apocaliptic looking Panda! - YouTube

keep watching guys.. the jet wash will be coming out later today!

Edit:

This is how it looks now: :eek::eek::eek: :slayer::slayer::slayer:

pretty much all went well... Fallout has one advisory which is a minor leak of exhaust gasses due to the small hole i drilled in the lowest part of the back box as a water drain. had the same one last year haha.

now to remove all of the tape wrapped around the ball joint dust covers and replace them. they are split and one is leaking. the tape around the tie rod bushes also helped i think.. nothing knocks or is loose.. its just all rubber things look bad.

i really should show fallout some love.. dare i say but i have never given the engine an oil or filter change the oil that is in it, is the oil it came with as it looked very clear and clean when i got it.

0w/40 fully synth turbo diesel oil and a new filter i think. should help cold starts and the higher ZDDP content in the oil will help protect the engine better than any oil its had before. also good as its the same oil i have in the BX too haha.

well here goes the drive to work.. my luck says that if its going to fail.. now is when it will! i dont think it will though ;)

the binding brake is not so bad.. i can live with it. would like to see what it would come up with as on an MOT though.

car has had a little more fake barbed wire added to the back of it. i found some that i left for the roof rack in the back of my little work shop.

i also topped up the gear box level. it was down by about 1 liter. i am pretty much out of ZC90 now. next time it needs topping up i'm just going to use GL5 or 6 spec oil. others have been using it for years and the box is till good. makes you wonder if that is why our fiat gear boxes become noisy over time.. the oil just is not good enough??

with all the work that has been going off on the citroen bx, the poor panda has been kinda neglected. quite nice to do some work on a car that is just so easy to work on. you really take that for granted.. the citroen is a b****** to work on.

anyway to work!

Hey guys, poor old Ratchet has been a little left out but he has been on a few car shows and some (very) local events.

heres some pictures!

the last 2 are where i park the car at work sometimes. not now really though.

the Citroen BX has been sold.. i just could not get on with all of the "different" ways of doing things that have already proven to work just fine for years.

that said, theres also a new car on the block...

https://www.fiatforum.com/members-m...ot-306-estate-1-9-turbo-diesel.html?p=4298598

I would love that on my drive,we have the neighbours from hell, always complaining about the slightest thing,man down the road had a car jacked up on his drive with the front wheels missing and everyone was complaining .

So when are we all having a big meet in your street then?? :devil: If someone complained that my car was jacked up i think i'd end up putting all 3 cars on axle stands and leaving them for a week or 2 just to spite them, thats the most ridiculous thing for anyone to complain about.

Last edited:
Need to move. Moment I jacked up mine half the neighbours were round to have a nose. Mind you we had 5 VW buses in the Close last year in various states of chaos.

meh, let them moan i say, they'd hate me lol... I never get any work done at a garage bar my MOT. Cars are regularly half disassembled on the drive and they have zero right to complain about it... If people complain just tell them that you find their face offensive and would much prefer if they stayed indoors while at home, its as reasonable as they are being lol

Hey guys. well its come to that time of the year where insurance is due on the diesel estate that sadly needs more work that i am willing to do on it right now. just oil leaks really!

it can only mean one thing..

the return of Project Fallout.

its been a tough few months for old Ratchet.. bring parked up.. stuff being stored on top of him.. being broken into.. attempted to be hot wired.. poor ratchet..

well in preparation of the whole getting it back on the road thing i have replaced those worn bushes.. boy they were bad.. yes i did tiger seal them last year and it worked relatively well to get it through last years MOT.
enough is enough however.. fix and replace!

they were ready!

along with that i have replaced the ball joint dust covers.. they were replaced a few years back but they must have been low quality.
CV boots look in acceptable condition so they will stay.

i have also got a back box from Ebay to fit (when it gets here) as that has rusted out where i welded it up back in 2014.

still need to get a door window from somewhere. i may have to nick one from Talon.. something i really do not want to do. thankfully i do not need it for the MOT.

i also did a little bit of adjustment to the fuel system.. removing the swirl pot and lift pumps and using just the high pressure pump to do it all. sadly this caused the return hose to blow off above the tank due to the return pipe being too small to survive the flow from the pump. so i had to make a kinda bleed back return system that bleed off returning fuel back into the intake of the high pressure pump. for this i used a cheap fuel pressure regulator.
it only had to bleed back about 1 bar of pressure.

£340 for the insurance and that was sticking my brother on as a named driver too.. otherwise it would have been £230! with all mods declared!

managed to grab one of those free Halfords MOTs they are doing at the moment. (buy any item, get a free MOT) best 10mm socket i ever bought!

heres some pictures as i know you guys like them :)

oh no.. flat tyre

raided the skip at the back of halfords and managed to grab some old mixing paint they put in the colour matching spay paint machine (brother tipped me off that they were in it)

and this is how Ratchet looks now. a bit of a mess with that plastic stopping the rain getting in, but after removing it.. it will be fine for MOT

the pallet on the roof is because its had "ford bins" (metal bins we use in the scrap yard) stored on top of it.

should be good for another year given the MOT will go smooth.
still wish them brakes were good though.. i really need to get the marbella type master cylinder on this car.

thanks all, peace!

Last edited:
well i have the MOT booked in for 0800 hours tomorrow.

i really do not like the brakes in the car.. loads of pedal travel, super spongy comparing it to the 20 year old Peugeot 306 i am driving.

i dont have high hopes.. what i think i am going to do is completely change the whole system. i am going to get the vacuum servo and master cylinder from a Seat Marbella (as the brakes on the one we had were so good..) i will run another pipe down to the rear axle and make it a twin feed system with a seat marbella 4 output master cylinder.

i WILL have a nice firm pedal. this Will happen.

lets just hope they are good enough just to get it to pass. i got to tell you though.. i would not pass them.

More rubber more expansion. Keep it simple. Remove all the slack in the pedal before it operates the servo. We did it on magenta as you read. The increased servo and longer an bigger diameter master cylinder operate top of the pedal and v hard allbeit discs at rear. Using the Lexus 200 Servo. Looking forward to see your results Jon .Sv

Last edited:
i did that, adjusted pedal movement but the brakes started binding :(

No t a t the servo in the pedals and drive bar set up. Take out the nylon bushes. And swop them around to reduce slack. Bigger servo larger master cylinder.-19mm up to 22 mm gives more flow with the same peddle force with increase diameter servo. = more grunt at the wheel ?!!! Care full don’t go over the Handel bars !!!!

hey hey all. waiting on a delivery of 4x Continental WinterContact TS860 165/70 R13!
now i did a bit of research using a tyre calculator and it turns out that 165/70's are the same size diameter wise as 145/80's.. the standard tyre the car should have on it from the factory!

yey speedo should be accurate!

it has 165/65s on it at the moment but the speedo does read way over. (it always has though)

should be nice!

other than that the car has been working pretty good.
the fuel return pipe that was causing high pressure has had a bleed over using a fuel pressure regulator. so after it exits the fuel rail it goes into a T ( one to the tank one with the pressure regulator on it) that bleeds the pressure back to the intake of the fuel pump.
my biggest issue was air locking the pump but because the regulator is closed until pressure is built any air gets pushed back to the tank.

it works fantastic!.. looks a mess but works well.

oh i managed to get a window from Talons original doors.. they are pretty far gone. there's nothing left of the bottoms (as i cut it all off!)

anyway thats all for now!

Back