Programming/Coding a database- Anyone know anything?

Currently reading:
Programming/Coding a database- Anyone know anything?

soap_dodger

Not gay, ecstatic!
I need to make a database.

I'm making it for work as we use a program by "Data-Pro" called "Contender" and tbh, it's rubbish! It's for warehousing company's and we use it for sales! Tbh we pay far too much for it!

So I am wanting to learn VB or whatever someone thinks is suitable and create a one-off database that does it perfectly!

It needs to do the following...

Input sales - With postcode lookup (For DEL's)
Input collections - ""
Move Collection/DEL dates
Batch loading
Barcoding

and there is loads more I need to think about.

Is there anyone willing to help me out or know where I can get the infomation to do this?

I'm not great at coding/programming, but I know a few things about Dev C++ and thats it.

Thanks. :)

Jamie

cant you use the access?
surley that should be enouth was you taught it in school ?

and aint this forum a massive database?

I mean making a program that with prompts, that goes through step by step. For what we need to do.

I can help ya if you want but I'm busy till late monday (only having a quick browse).

If you want to use VB6 then youl need an access97 database, or .net is 2000 - 2003 as far as i can remember without alot of work...

Cheers, (y) That's fine, I'm in no rush, just wanted to see if anybody can give me a hand. (y)

It's fine software wise, I have a lot of software licences and disks from when my mum had a shop. (y)

I'll give you an example of what I need it to do, so you can see if you can help me...

I.E; A sale, that needs delivery, with a postcode and haven't bought before.

Open up program, click "SALES"
"Does this item need to be DEL'D?" Y/N Prompt. "Y"
"Have they purchased before? Y/N Promt. "N"
"Title, F Name, S Name input"
"House No" "Postcode" No Postcode? (Option to manually enter below this)
*Looks up address*
*Scan Barcode*
"Enter Price: £00.00 "
Brings up DEL shed. (Needs area input, I will need to find out how it works out areas...)
"Commit"
*Gives ref and loads a docket onto the server*

Get me? :eek:

I know it's going to be a lot of work, but it will be perfect. (y) and you can always put it down on your CV if you help me. :D

An Access database with a front end written in VB is easy enough to do, or if you have multiple machines then do it in asp.net and then access it via browser.

Yep, all depends on circumstances.

Soapy, I'l PM my MSN address in a bit and when I'm on I can do what I can :)

Daz; back ends in Access are fine but front ends or programs are horrendous, there are thousands of arbitrary limitations to it.

What would be the easiest to create and maintain? :confused:

and oh yeah, it would need to be able to do reports etc. As we have to send details of what we have scrapped, re-used etc for the WEEE directive.

Last edited:
What would be the easiest to create and maintain? :confused:

and oh yeah, it would need to be able to do reports etc. As we have to send details of what we have scrapped, re-used etc for the WEEE directive.

If you don't know .net or PHP i'd say PHP and the SQL database would be a lot easier to maintain than some proprietary microsoft driven piece of s**t.

And yes you would be able to generate reports direct from the SQL database in a program such as crystal reports.

VB is definatly capable and dead easy to pick up. The PHP/SQL route is probably a little more difficult but again, would cope perfectly, especially if your going to use multiple computers - in that case its probably the option i'd choose.

If its standalone, you could use VBA scripts in Access, or even Excel for something as simple as that.

As for which would be easier to learn... well I've used both VB and PHP in the past and in my opinion, VB was much easier to learn as the syntax is much more like normal english (theres a proper term for that that i cant for the life of me remember at the mo.) I used MySQL with PHP and it was pretty easy to understand once you've got your head around the available DB commands. If your going to use this route tho, download a database handler script as this will make life so much more easy during developement as you can use it to browse your DB and understand whats happening to values and entries as you debug your scripts.

If you don't know .net or PHP i'd say PHP and the SQL database would be a lot easier to maintain than some proprietary microsoft driven piece of s**t.

That is a very good point. yeh, go the PHP route.

Plus php.net is great - full of loads information to get you going... and full details and example of commands etc - its a fantastic resource.

Last edited:

depends a lot on if you have bee in your bonnet about MS software or not though.. :p

use oracle for the back end then, thats easy to mash with asp.net.. in fact so is sql!

Back