Product advice

Currently reading:
Product advice

I brought a DRL kit from a online shop (not exact ones as the ones i got are no longer in stock)

It says that engine off - lights off
Engine on - lights on basically

However
when connected to the battery in the car - they turn on
No change when engine turned on and then off again

So i tried my mothers car
Same story

Tried a standing battery i have - left it for 20mins - Nope it just stayed on

Gonna test it on the other 2 cars i have

i sent them an email - they just said connect to an ignition feed to sort issue, as some cars the difference isn't measurable...

but surly - tho 2 cars and potentially 2 others it'll do the same
Surly it means the switch is dead/faulty?

Am i entitled to a refund or replacement?

Ziggy

your link goes to a train snow ploughing?

I'm confused
You must connect them to a switched power supply,how else will they know if the engines running or not?
If you connect them to the battery,then they will run until disconnected or the battery goes flat
So you want an ignition live

You must connect them to a switched power supply,how else will they know if the engines running or not?
If you connect them to the battery,then they will run until disconnected or the battery goes flat
So you want an ignition live

I'm guessing... :confused:

1. Ziggy copied and pasted the wrong link; and
  2. there's supposed to be a relay involved, somewhere...?
Something's obviously defective, anyway...! ;)

it seems lots of these DRL kits use a bit of cheap electronics to determine the difference between engine running and engine off based on voltage difference 12v - 14v

that said without the proper link can you say these lights are suppose to work in this way and even if they are would you trust a piece of shrink wrapped Chinese designed electronics to prevent your battery being drained, for this reason alone i would connect them to a switched live.

although I really hate DRL's if you want to be seen just leave your lights on otherwise they are unnecessary waste power and therefore fuel and on the majority of cars look silly.

If they don't do the thing they are designed to do then I would be asking for a full refund, you could even take an engine running and switched off voltage reading to show the difference and as such that the lights should be able to tell the difference

Charge from the alternator running.

Ziggy, they should operate like propper Ring DRLs with the switching unit. Sounds like a faulty / cheap switching unit.

I'd return them for a full refund tbh and just get the proper thing and by something like the Ring BRL0397's (y)

Back