Technical Problem Solved.......Is It Heck!!

Currently reading:
Technical Problem Solved.......Is It Heck!!

Yorky

I thought i'd cured the intermittent problem with the 1.6S Brio but it's back. To re-cap, it runs fine but occasionally at 70 - 75mph the power just fades. It will not pull and there is nothing happening when you put ya foot down. Stopping for a few minutes and waiting it will re-start and run perfectly until the next time. It could be many miles or days before it happens again. Having changed the plugs, in line fuel filter, rotor arm, distributor cap, cleaned the carb jets and drilled holes in the fuel filler cap i was running out of ideas. As you do, i was gazing in to space with the telly on when i had an idea. My old Ducati bike has been suffering from exactly the same problem. It was diagnosed as the Marelli Digiplex ignition unit. Apparently they are known for being unreliable and what happens is with age the soldering contacts inside the unit become brittle and start to disintegrate. I checked the car and found that this was also a Marelli Digiplex unit. Having sourced another unit from a breakers for £20 i've changed it over and so far everything is OK. I'll keep you posted. P.S. The unit for the bike is like rocking horse poo and cost over £400 new so if anyone knows of a second hand one please let me know. It's for a Ducati Paso 906.:confused:

I'm glad you have solved the problem.
My dad's tipo used to cut out doing left hand corners, but he soon sorted it. :D
I hope you manage to get a cheap Marelli Digiplex unit for your bike.

:) Cheers. What did ya dad do ? Planned his route by taking right hand turns only:p Still got there but just took twice as long(y) Oh well, still a few months before summers here and time to get the Bike fixed. I'm going to Southport next week as i have an address for a company that fixes Marelli Digiplex units. Fingers crossed they can work wonders with mine.

Hellcat said:
He worked it out that the earth from the ECU was suspect. Replaced it and its working fine now.

That's good to know. I'll watch out for that in case mine starts misbehaving again.

Yorky said:
:) I'm going to Southport next week as i have an address for a company that fixes Marelli Digiplex units. Fingers crossed they can work wonders with mine.
Hey Yorky, any chance of that address and company name... just incase my 750 paso suffers similary later on. cheers

Tony M said:
Hey Yorky, any chance of that address and company name... just incase my 750 paso suffers similary later on. cheers

Sure, its Northwest Motorcycle Services, 66 Kensington Road, Southport, PR9 0RY. Tel: 01704 531616. Visit his website at http://www.cdiunit.co.uk

His business premises are in a residential area if you need to go find it. Close to the big Asda behind the railway station. Saw the guy last week and he seems to know what he's on about. Sorry i'm a bit late replying but just got back from Plymouth today.

Back