Powercap wiring ?

Currently reading:
Powercap wiring ?

Bravissimo

I have a power cap for my new ice but unfortunately I have no instruction manual for it (ebay !) so can anyone tell me how to wire it in ?
Do I just wire both the pos and neg connections in line from the amps pos and neg ?

Cheers

Gav

What is in your install? You may not require a cap :)

Last edited:
untitled.JPG

Hope it helps.

Steve

Bravissimo said:
Cheers steve, thats as I thought it should be I think. Is it ok for the earth to go from the amp to the cap then to the earthing point ?

Gav

Should be no problem, I ran all my earths to a block and then earthed the other side, had no probs.

Steve

the only unfortunate thing is powercaps are pretty much useless. 0awg wiring woulda been a better spend of cash.

im putting nealy 4000watts of (rated power) through standard battery and wiring its only around 1000watt rms but i have no problems apart form the amp getting too hot occasionally and cutting out.

wozza said:
the only unfortunate thing is powercaps are pretty much useless. 0awg wiring woulda been a better spend of cash.

im putting nealy 4000watts of (rated power) through standard battery and wiring its only around 1000watt rms but i have no problems apart form the amp getting too hot occasionally and cutting out.

Do you ever use it to its full potential though?

If you do, and it does not interfer with your lights/etc. what size alternator/battery set up you using?

Steve

wozza said:

What gauge cabling are you using and what is the fuse rating of your amp?
Is the amp sufficently cooled - you may need to use forced cooling :)

Powercaps are useless in 99% of situations - there are much more efficient ways (in terms of cost and effectiveness) of improving the power supply - larger gauge wiring, uprated alternator, the big 3.........................(y)

At the moment when its driven hard its cutting out as i need to get some fans on there heating up too much. But i have driven it pretty damn hard my lights suffer though when there on. But not massively at volumes that make my ears hurt ot be in there lights only dim whenthe really really low notes hit or on a couple songs by korn or sublime where the bass drops and its played for a good 20 seconds this 1 note etc. Only time i have problems.

Fuses are the standard ones that came with the alpine. The one on the lanzar amp was 2 20amp fuses but they blew when ever i cranked it up changed them to 30's and theres 2 60's in the distribution block plus another 60 nearly the battery. blew 3 fuses in total s one of the 60's went as well but put another oe in and even having it louder than i used to and having the sub turned right up hasnt blown anything yet i do get the slight problem with lights if i turn it up loads but otherwise im still on standard battery and alt.

Hasnt been a problem with lights until as i said the notes really drop low and the kinda music i listen to its not very often that happens i think its like 3 songs on my MP3 cd that causes them to dim slightly.

I am gonna upgrading some things again though as im thinking of dropping in another RE SE12 sub my amp can cope with it already but then i will need to mess about with a few things better batteries etc. as i will be drawing a bit more from the amp with the 2nd sub in there. But until i have some more cash to spend i cant afford to do anything the system has already cost close to £1400 so far. £200 was just on wiring distribution block etc. another £230 on the sub £330 on the headunit due to adaptor etc and needing one made for my car. then theres 2 amps in there.

It does eat into your cash when you get going:( never realized until I caught the disease:) . In the process of trying to fit a battery bank into the old Punto so at least can use when parked up for a while without ending up stranded:eek: . Space is the problem trying to squeeze 4 extra batteries in behind the seats and then running the charging circuit in.

Steve

See space isnt a problem its all in the back of a citroen C4 coupe. and the boot is rather large.

http://mybigspoon.com/wozza/install1.JPG

I can get a fair bit more in there yet i just want another sub and then wanna add couple other bits i just ran out of cash.

Got all my ice in the C4 my cinq hasnt even gt a headunit in it.

Had to take out the rear seats to get that type of space, looks good.
Got a few ideas to try out, space permitting and hopefully the itch will be over.:)

Steve

You're better off getting one of These, for the same money you get 10 times more farads which will actually help you in your setup compared to standard ones. Check out the bigger ones too, they probably kick some ass! ;)

Back