Technical Power Steering Failure

Currently reading:
Technical Power Steering Failure

Happy days. This car of mine really is something else. Driving to work this morning I totally lost all ability to steer the car. 'Power Steering Failure' lights up on dashboard and red warning light comes on. This fault is really dangerous, when it happens you really do have great difficulty getting back some control of the car. Did a bit of a search and it seems a low battery charge can cause this lock up. Probably the case with mine as I hardly use the sodding thing. The ironic thing is I was only using it today as my old workhorse, my Pug 306, was in need of a new steering rack. So today when my power steering failed in my GPS, in the boot of my GPS was the steering rack out of my Pug 306 that I was taking to exchange for a replacement rack. How sodding unlikely is that to happen to someone.
Anyway, my power steering came back to life after I switched the igntion off and on again, and has been fine since.
So beware of a low battery charge as it can be extremely dangerous if it affects your power steering.

Last edited:
Get it checked,the GP uses a different system to the MK2 puntos & is a vauxhall design.......which vauxhall are having terrible problems with!!!
What do you reckon is the problem and possible fix? Seems plausible that a low battery could have been the problem. To be honest I really canny be bothered putting it in to a dealer unless I have some idea of what needs to be done. Life's too short to spend hours hanging about waiting at an AC dealership waiting for solutions.

Last edited:
Making a online diagnosis would be senseless unless error codes/data logger files were supplied.If you cant be bothered getting it looked at then thats up to you.
No, I did not mean my reply to be taken like that. I really was only looking for your general opinion.

Seriously T. When you said "Your dealer should be well aware of the fix for this". You kind of gave me the impression that as 'the dealer should be well aware of the fix', that this was indeed a known problem. I simply asked for your general opinion on what I might say to my dealer to save me having to waste a day hanging about Glasgow. I do appreciate that as you are in the trade yourself you may have to keep some things to yourself. Anyway, it was my response that caused 'luvduvs' to post their reply.
So any help appreciated as I really hate having to leave my car with the dealer for a whole day. I need my car for my job, so no car means no work. As I work for the NHS, this means no NHS care provided by me when uncle Arnold has my car for the day.

Last edited:
Seriously T. When you said "Your dealer should be well aware of the fix for this". You kind of gave me the impression that as 'the dealer should be well aware of the fix', that this was indeed a known problem. I simply asked for your general opinion on what I might say to my dealer to save me having to waste a day hanging about Glasgow. I do appreciate that as you are in the trade yourself you may have to keep some things to yourself. Anyway, it was my response that caused 'luvduvs' to post their reply.
So any help appreciated as I really hate having to leave my car with the dealer for a whole day. I need my car for my job, so no car means no work. As I work for the NHS, this means no NHS care provided by me when uncle Arnold has my car for the day.

'Aware' doesn't mean a common problem (because its not) also I dont think its my place or right to give out information intended for trained personel.If you cant do without your car book a courtesy car which can also be deliverd and collected from you.Would a saturday be more suitable?

I think its more likely to loose the power assistance:eek: Dont know how we all managed in the days before power steering :shrug: (then again cars wernt so heavy)
No, when I lost my power steering yesterday morning it was almost impossible to steer the car. I also have a Pug 306 diesel with no power steering. There is no comparison. When the electric assist failed in my GPS the steering was so heavy the car became out of control. Anyone with weak upper arm strength would have had no ability to steer the car.

'Aware' doesn't mean a common problem (because its not) also I dont think its my place or right to give out information intended for trained personel.If you cant do without your car book a courtesy car which can also be deliverd and collected from you.Would a saturday be more suitable?
Thanks for that. I do appreciate your reply. In my experience courtesy cars are impossible to get. Does your dealership actually deliver courtesy cars? Sounds good.

Within a given radius yes,problem these days is there is often a tenner insurance charge (waviered at managers discression) at most garages due to abuse courtesy cars get from the public.

You can take it to any garage as i'm sure your aware off not just AC branches.

Within a given radius yes,problem these days is there is often a tenner insurance charge (waviered at managers discression) at most garages due to abuse courtesy cars get from the public.

You can take it to any garage as i'm sure your aware off not just AC branches.
Are you based in a town on the west coast of Scotland? If so, I could arrange for my car to go to your branch if you thought there was a possibility of a courtesy car, plus I like your attitude.

Sorry afraid not,I'm not tied to a particular branch so go where required.

I know some decent techs in Edinburgh if thats any use? Wherever you go always ask for DET to work on car.
Thinking about trying Broxburn. What is a DET exactly, is it some form of tech. speak?

I know few techs there. Dealer Expert Technician,advantage to having him/her work on your car is they will be up to date with latest 'fixes',service news & inside information.
Think I'll give Broxburn a chance to 'cure' my car's ill's. Anything I can suggest when booking my car in to get a DET working on my car and possibilty of a hire car?

Back