General Power loss in the wet

Currently reading:
General Power loss in the wet

I recently drove through a puddle which was deeper than I thought on the passenger side. Not long after while accelerating the car lost power and stayed "flat" for a few seconds before picking up again. It was OK for a couple of weeks (during which I had to fix an exhaust leak at the flexi pipe section).
Then the other day it lost power again for a couple of seconds (in the wet) when accelerating.
Any help out there?

I found that when I would go through a puddle in my previous punto it would sometimes run on 3 cylinders for a while, i think the coil pack or leads were getting wet. Puntos don’t have any splash guards underneath so maybe the ignition system is getting wet.

I found that when I would go through a puddle in my previous punto it would sometimes run on 3 cylinders for a while, i think the coil pack or leads were getting wet. Puntos don’t have any splash guards underneath so maybe the ignition system is getting wet.

I thought that. I've had an exhaust leak from the flexi pipe section which I've strapped up. Could this have affected the ecu learning and caused the flat spot accelerating or maybe a sensor got wet?
Which sensor might it be? I was thinking of investing in the MES software but don't have a clue and would this tell me what if any sensor is the culprit?! I need it to calibrate my new steering torque sensor too. I know I need a modified elm327 cable but not a clue about different colour adapter cables ����
Just to fill in some background I have also had some intermittent hunting idle issues which is why I'm thinking maybe a sensor issue?

Anyone thats had similar issues any help would be most appreciated!!!

Last edited:
I’m not sure about the MES software man, I don’t even know what that is to be honest. A cheap multi scan tool with tell you if the ecu has and fault codes to report. The hole in your flex joint wouldn’t have any effect on your power or acceleration, on my previous punto I had about 30 holes in the back box and at one point she had no back box and ran perfect. If you plug it in you’ll probably the random engine misfire code, due to it getting wet the other day, but hopefully it will give you a more specific code.

Back