Posting problem

Currently reading:
Posting problem

Hi everyone. I've only been posting on the site for less than a month now and there are things I don't understand. Hoping someone can help.

I've made a number of successful posts but been unsuccessful on a couple of occasions. I think what happened was that I timed out in some way? They were long compositions, composed over perhaps an hour or so. When I try to click the button the first thing I encounter is a request to log in again followed by a message to press the back button and reload the previous info. When I do so it just all goes round in a circle and asks me to reload again, an so on, and so on! When I try to back out of this circle I loose all my work! Very frustrating!

So can I only compose a post for a relatively short period of time before it times out and dumps me? Or what am I doing wrong?

Yours in the depths of frustration
Jock.

Hi Jock - another chap complained about this a little while ago, so I am working on a solution.

But yes, the timeout is about 15 minutes I think.

The interim solution is when you log in, make sure the "Remember me" box is ticked :)

SOrry about the lost posts and effort, we will sort it very soon.

Hi Jock - another chap complained about this a little while ago, so I am working on a solution.

The interim solution is when you log in, make sure the "Remember me" box is ticked :)

I noticed this issue a while ago, it is because you are logged off. automatically. The system does not recognise typing in a message box as activity. If you don't want to tick the "Remember me" box you can compose your message in Notepad or your word-processing software and the copy and paste it into the message window. I do this with any long post to a forum (not just FF) as if you save it as you go it also protects against computer crashes power cuts or internet outages.

Thanks Ben and g8rpi. I guessed it was something to do with that. So if I tick the "remember me" box does that mean it won't time out? I guessed that ticking this box just meant that you didn't need to log in each time you revisited the site. I generally avoid doing things like that because I tend to forget to log out anyway!

I like your solution g8rpi but it poses a challenge for me as I'm really pretty incompetent on computers (but very keen to learn. Although at 71 years old this is a slow process!)

I'm having an absolute blast browsing around on the site Ben. Thanks so much for all your hard work.

I'm going to put my Hudl away now, wake up my laptop and have a go on the notebook program (if I can find it) at least I know how to copy and paste, I think? Bye for now from a bright and sunny, but cold, Edinburgh.
Kindest regards
Jock

I noticed this issue a while ago, it is because you are logged off. automatically. The system does not recognise typing in a message box as activity. If you don't want to tick the "Remember me" box you can compose your message in Notepad or your word-processing software and the copy and paste it into the message window. I do this with any long post to a forum (not just FF) as if you save it as you go it also protects against computer crashes power cuts or internet outages.
Oh yes, that worked just fine g8rpi! Did a large item in "note" last night about the preparations for doing the cambelt on my boy's Punto. Copied and posted to the thread I'm doing in the Punto 2012 section. Previously I'd have lost this as I tried to post it but using your proceedure, it worked great!

So greatful for you advice. Many thanks. Jock

Back