General Possible purchase

Currently reading:
General Possible purchase

Django

I am seriously considering parting with my Fiat Coupe after 6 enjoyable years (a truly excellent car - looks great & goes well) and possibly replacing it with Stilo 1.9JTD

If someone could answer a few queries I have I would be grateful

I have read of concerns relating to front suspension/ springs & bushes. Are these a general problem or only isolated instances confined to some models, or all across the model range?

Any other particular potential pitfalls to be aware of?

Thanks

Front springs are prone to failure and because of this Fiat fit a mod to the front suspension struts. The idea being that, should the spring break, then the broken spring end is caught which greatly reduces the chance of a blowout.

Should the worst happen some of the better Fiat dealers/garages have been known to fit new springs for free depending on mileage & car age but you shouldn't count on it.

Many owners change the springs themselves (as I have) as no one likes nasty surprises.

Stilos have a special oil filled bush on the rear axle which is a fairly common failure, especially on the heavier Multiwagon, and used to be very expensive but the cost to fix this has dropped a lot in recent years.

You'll find a huge number of posts on both subjects if you use the Search tool

Front springs are prone to failure and because of this Fiat fit a mod to the front suspension struts. The idea being that, should the spring break, then the broken spring end is caught which greatly reduces the chance of a blowout.

Should the worst happen some of the better Fiat dealers/garages have been known to fit new springs for free depending on mileage & car age but you shouldn't count on it.

Many owners change the springs themselves (as I have) as no one likes nasty surprises.

Stilos have a special oil filled bush on the rear axle which is a fairly common failure, especially on the heavier Multiwagon, and used to be very expensive but the cost to fix this has dropped a lot in recent years.

You'll find a huge number of posts on both subjects if you use the Search tool

I'm picking up my new Stilo MW tomorrow, and the dealer says the recall has been carried out on the suspension. I will ask him if the springs were replaced or if the mod was done. If it's the mod, I'd like to get the springs replaced myself - is there any brand or type of spring you'd recommend I ask for? And what can I expect to pay for them?

Cheers!

I'm picking up my new Stilo MW tomorrow, and the dealer says the recall has been carried out on the suspension. I will ask him if the springs were replaced or if the mod was done. If it's the mod, I'd like to get the springs replaced myself - is there any brand or type of spring you'd recommend I ask for? And what can I expect to pay for them?

Cheers!
That question opens up a whole can of worms and I'd recommend you read through some of hundreds of posts on the subject first. You'd also be advised to get a good feel for the car first too as it's handling characteristics are very much tied to driving style.

A lot of members, like myself, don't like putting up with issues of low ride height and therefore keep to standard springs.

Some don't trust oem replacement springs but since it'll take at least 8 years (2 x 4) or so for second failures to occur then the juries still out on that one :chin:

The MW is much heavier than a 3/ 5 door stilo and while it is a comfortable ride in a straight line, it really does not like corners. Body roll is significant. Also the rear springs tend to sag a lot when there is a load in the boot. (3 adults in the back of mine + luggage will nearly put the rear springs on the stops). Uprated springs all round would definately improve the car. Also you should be aware that the MW uses different rear springs and shocks to the other stilo's and is not a particularly common car so the choice will be very limited when it comes to changing springs.

Back