Technical Possible fuel tank air lock

Currently reading:
Technical Possible fuel tank air lock

tommo1

I filled up my 2016 Panda 1.2 petrol a week or so ago, right up to the brim. I've only had the car 4 weeks and have been trying to work out if OBD is accurate. I think it exaggerates, unsurprisingly, and brim to brim is the best way to check. After all, it's not a big tank!

Anyway, I saw fuel at a 'relatively' cheap 149.9p per litre so tried to fill up again. Despite having done 60 miles (I zeroed trip A), I could only get just over 1 litre in! I waited a few seconds for any gurgling / airlock to clear, but it was right up to the brim. The forecourt was ever so slightly on an incline, perhaps, would this really cause this? Or are these cars prone to airlocks? Apart from embarrassingly paying less than £2 for my fuel, 2 miles after I left the garage, the first blob disappeared from the fuel level LED on the centre cluster, so it obviously WASN'T full. :rolleyes: I think it'll have to be brim to brim at the same fuel pump to be sure, where perhaps the forecourt had a very gentle slope to the left (not that it was obvious) to allow an extra few litres in. 😏

I wasn't aware of a carbon canister, that may be partially the reason. Since it is only a 37-litre tank, I've filled it right up a couple of times. First click I'll stick to in future, I think. (y)

Back