General Fuel meter accuracy

Currently reading:
General Fuel meter accuracy

My twin air 4x4 average fuel meter usually reads around around 33 miles to the gallon, but I have worked it out with my calculations with mileage for £20 of fuel and its more like 39 miles, not sure about how accurate the meter is, just wondered anyone else's thoughts about this

Mines a 1.2 & I've often wondered about the accuracy of the digital fuel gauge as I've never thought it was 100% accurate, it's the same with digital speedometers as they always tend to be about 5mph out, that's the only thing which bugs me with the Panda though, I'd rather just have a normal analogue fuel & temperature gauge

Mines a 1.2 & I've often wondered about the accuracy of the digital fuel gauge as I've never thought it was 100% accurate, it's the same with digital speedometers as they always tend to be about 5mph out, that's the only thing which bugs me with the Panda though, I'd rather just have a normal analogue fuel & temperature gauge
Not really bothered about never really thought these meters were accurate, but being a newish car I hoped they might be a bit more accurate

My twin air 4x4 average fuel meter usually reads around around 33 miles to the gallon, but I have worked it out with my calculations with mileage for £20 of fuel and its more like 39 miles, not sure about how accurate the meter is, just wondered anyone else's thoughts about this

Rare to read about one that's pessimistic, in my experience they're always far too optimistic!

I used to use Fuelly to track MPG accurately, but life's too short.

I think you are lucky. I am pretty sure mine likes toflatter its self quite a lot. Perhaps I will try and do some checks. Generally it hovers between 41 and 46. It can easily drop much lower and can be persuaded to go much higher. I get around 320 miles on a tank in general. Most of my driving is pottering around locally with half an eye on the fuel consumption. Its notable the 1.2 does quite a lot better.

The 1.2 willdo 90 miles once hte fuel light has come on and the TA will do at least 60 but thats probably about its limit. I thinjk the most its swallowed is 35.7 litres.

I filled my Panda 1.2 several times, keeping a record for 635 miles for best accuracy in Nov - Dec 2022, zeroing the trip at the start, filling to 3 clicks at the start and the finish. The OBD indicated an average of 50.5mpg, I made it 48mpg, so almost exactly 5% over-reading. This is better than my 2 previous 169 models which exaggerated by between 8% and 10% !

Last edited:
Back