pls don't hurt me I want ubuntu.

Currently reading:
pls don't hurt me I want ubuntu.

I have a PC that got loads of unused space on the C: drive and was thinking of installing Ubuntu (a version of linux) as I may need it for University but I still want me XP on there.

Question 1 is: Is Ubuntu any good, I hear people saying its such a great OS but don't know what to believe as so many people are 100% windows orientated and don't seem to see past it to OS's like Linux.

Question 2 is: How do I go about partitioning my disk and installing Ubuntu on it. (I know this is possible as a start-up menu will appear on boot-up so I can choose which OS i want to use for that session)

Question 3 is:How much space do I need to partition off for Ubuntu to run smoothly (I've heard its quite small)

Has anybody ever run dual operating systems and had any issues?

Any help and advice would be great thanks guys(y)

I have a PC that got loads of unused space on the C: drive and was thinking of installing Ubuntu (a version of linux) as I may need it for University but I still want me XP on there.

Question 1 is: Is Ubuntu any good, I hear people saying its such a great OS but don't know what to believe as so many people are 100% windows orientated and don't seem to see past it to OS's like Linux.

yeah ubuntu with that 3D software that i cant remember the name of is awesome!

Question 2 is: How do I go about partitioning my disk and installing Ubuntu on it. (I know this is possible as a start-up menu will appear on boot-up so I can choose which OS i want to use for that session)

you dont have to create a partition but its handy, i think the last time i did this was with partition magic(i hear this is **** now:confused: )

Question 3 is:How much space do I need to partition off for Ubuntu to run smoothly (I've heard its quite small)

if you choose to i would partition off atleast 10gb

Has anybody ever run dual operating systems and had any issues?

no

Any help and advice would be great thanks guys(y)

(y)

I did a dual boot with Linux as it's a bit tricky because if you don't read up on it enough, you can seriously mess up your puter. Like I did once. :eek:

So have a good Google how to's etc and make sure you have them printed off if you have no other access to the net. :)

Might want to back up any files you need/want as well.

Will have a hunt round for some how to's as well to help you out. :)

Edit: Goog tut here: http://apcmag.com/6101/dualboot_windows_xp_and_ubuntu

Last edited:
I was about 14 at the time. :p Give me a break. :p Plus the partition software I was using crashed and messed up my MBR. :eek:

I believe the Ubuntu installer is now smart enough to detect a Windows installation and will ask you if you want it to automatically setup a dual boot environment. (y)
Now that would be handy. Cheers.

And thanks guys, I didn't know so many of the people here actually liked Linux, most ppl are just windows orientated.

Cheers for the info I shall probably be doing it tomoz as I have a day off uni.

Thanks again(y)

alot of people use windows due to the amount of stuff available for windows and not for other platforms.

linux is an excellent OS and is loved by windows users as wedll but not much is compatible with it.
Hence me wanting to run both :D

I had the chance to use SUSE today and thought thats had a lot more features in comparison to Ubuntu. Once I decide which 1 i'll be installing it.

Thanks guys.

Get the latest version of Mandiva over torrent. Everything works out the box i.e 3D Acceleration (with nvidia and ATI). Then look for a package called Cedega. That will allow you to run most windows games with full 3D support. Usually alot faster than it does on windows aswell!.

Back